Thread: Does a deal with Indy make sense?

Does a deal with Indy make sense?

Indy is trying to get rid of Dwight Freeney who doesnt want to play as an OLB in their 3-4 defense (yes I know we run a 3-4) and makes $14 million next year.

Bart makes $4-6 million next year, is a 3-4 ILB who we want to get rid of.

Much like when we brought Bart here, he can teach the defense to the colts player and serve as a strong veteran presence on what will be a young team. He can bring some run stopping ability and attitude to their defense to help Pagano get his team "tougher".

We can eat the salary difference, give Indy a pick (4-5th round) to help them retool their roster and tell Freeney that we will play him at rush DE much like Suggs is used, as opposed to strictly a OLB. Even if he doesnt play every down. Sure its a lot of $$ for a situational rusher, but if we get rid of Bart, the money isnt that tough to swallow.

Seems like a longshot, especially given our defense, but both teams have a player that they want to dump. Freeney can rush the passer which we need, Indy needs to dump salary which they will do, and we can give them a player that fits what they want to do in 2012, who they can dump after this year and get some cap relief.

Just a thought....

Just a thought, and a good one.

Would love it. Unfortunately it makes 0 sender the Colts.

That's a good thought but I don't see it happening.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    I'd be surprised if the Colts made a deal for Freeney to an AFC rival....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4392028]I'd be surprised if the Colts made a deal for Freeney to an AFC rival....[/QUOTE]

Come on, Indy is 3-4 years away. They're totally starting over. They will deal with anyone who's willing to take on that big salary and give them pics in return.

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4392028]I'd be surprised if the Colts made a deal for Freeney to an AFC rival....[/QUOTE]

i'd hardly consider the Jets a rival. Freeney won't go somewhere in his division...anything else is fair play.

its a good thought by the OP though.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4392030]i'd hardly consider the Jets a rival. Freeney won't go somewhere in his division...anything else is fair play.

its a good thought by the OP though.[/QUOTE]

If someone in the division made them a great offer Indy wouldn't balk. Indy is years away from contending again. By the time they are ready to ball, Freeney will be horse poo. They will deal with anyone at this point.