Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Photo ID's

Hall Of Fame
    ABSENTEE BALLOTS!!

The cause of 90% of voting fraud.

Contact your senator now to have the ancient process replaced by early voting.

Get on board. make a difference.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4397158]When did you open a bank account without ID and where?

Prior to 2001? Probably...[/QUOTE]

I have opened bank accounts online multiple times in the past couple of years. All you have to do is fill out a form with your SSN.

EDIT: Same goes for credit cards.
    Last edited by parafly; 03-14-2012 at 06:15 PM.

[QUOTE=parafly;4397169]I have opened bank accounts online multiple times in the past couple of years. All you have to do is fill out a form with your SSN.

EDIT: Same goes for credit cards.[/QUOTE]

At what point must you enter the bank and provide ID?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4397184]At what point must you enter the bank and provide ID?[/QUOTE]

I never did. :i_dont_kn

One checking/saving account with major bank, one online savings account with major bank, and a few credit cards. All in the past five years.

[QUOTE=piney;4397107]ah, so we should have voting laws reflect what you bet the truth is. Cool.[/QUOTE]

Of course, I'm a benevolent dictator just like the Justice department is in this case. Texas law was presumably passed by elected officials and blocked by appointed ones. Voting laws should be passed by voted in elected officials who represent the people of their voting districts and State. Presidents are elected by ellectors appointed by each state through their voting process.

[QUOTE]Clause 2. [B]Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct[/B], a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress; but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

Clause 3. The Electors shall meet in their respective States and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed: and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; A quorum for this purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.

Clause 4. The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.
    [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 03-15-2012 at 06:25 AM.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4397651]Of course, I'm a benevolent dictator just like the Justice department is in this case. Texas law was presumably passed by elected officials and blocked by appointed ones. Voting laws should be passed by voted in elected officials who represent the people of their voting districts and State. Presidents are elected by ellectors appointed by each state through their voting process.[/QUOTE]

Ahh I thought it would be the Supreme Courts role to figure it out. I didn't realize that this was a done deal and that Texas had no further action they could take except to bend over for the justice dept.

[QUOTE=piney;4397699]Ahh I thought it would be the Supreme Courts role to figure it out. I didn't realize that this was a done deal and that Texas had no further action they could take except to bend over for the justice dept.[/QUOTE]

Of course this will be reviewed by the Courts again a body that isn't elected.

I think in today's society photo ID to vote isn't unreasonable. Could it be a subtle way of discouraging voters? No more than it could be construed to be a way to verify who voters are, perfectly reasonable. You are the one claiming voter supression. I certainly wouldn't think any election rule asking me to show an ID is trying to supress my vote.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 03-15-2012 at 08:36 AM.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4397712]Of course this will be reviewed by the Courts again a body that isn't elected.[/QUOTE]

Wait. Are you saying we have a system of checks and balances in our government? But I thought we had dictators.

So do you believe we should vote on court justices?

[QUOTE=piney;4397714]Wait. Are you saying we have a system of checks and balances in our government? But I thought we had dictators.

So do you believe we should vote on court justices?[/QUOTE]

Know I'm saying we are a Constitutional Republic and by using voting laws that date back to the 60’s which were a push back on Jim Crow back in the 50's and 60's. (By the way to combat voter suppression supported primarily by Democrats) is decidedly political and a total theft of States Rights by the Democrats in Congress in 2006 and the Presidents Justice Department.

I have no issue with the Supreme Court settling it, I just think the when the Justice department makes blatantly political decisions it erodes confidence in our government and this is a blatantly political decision.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4397720]Know I'm saying we are a Constitutional Republic and by using voting laws that date back to the 60ís which were a push back on Jim Crow back in the 50's and 60's. (By the way to combat voter suppression supported primarily by Democrats) is decidedly political and a total theft of States Rights by the Democrats in Congress in 2006 and the Presidents Justice Department.

I have no issue with the Supreme Court settling it, I just think the when the Justice department makes blatantly political decisions it erodes confidence in our government and this is a blatantly political decision.[/QUOTE]

You may be right but is t that sort of why our system of government is in place?

I don't know, I guess I still have faith in our three separate but equal branches. Our govt is not just congress or the president. Things have to play out. People Who lose confidence in our govt may not see the big picture. Now you can lose confidence in congress or the president but our entire system is still strong and viable. At least in my oPinion

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4393390]She probably just made the percentage up. Seems made up.

I saw some stats on Nate Silver's site that said the group that had the highest percentage of people w/o photo ID's were the elderly.

I think photo ID's [I]should[/I] be required to vote...but only if a stand-alone photo ID (not a driver's license) could be gotten free of charge. If not, then it's a roundabout poll tax.[/QUOTE]

I find myself in total agreement with PK, and quite dismayed by it.

I feel like I need a shower. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=quantum;4397738]I feel like I need a shower. ;)[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.se30.com/users/grindingbassline/albums/album10/huge_spider.sized.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4397166]ABSENTEE BALLOTS!!

The cause of 90% of voting fraud.

Contact your senator now to have the ancient process replaced by early voting.

Get on board. make a difference.[/QUOTE]

Most absentee ballots are filed by military personnel that are deployed overseas. What is your answer for them? How early can they vote? Replacing absentee ballots can be seen as a liberal attempt to remove the military vote from the process just as requiring IDs is see as a conservative attempt to exempt the poor.

I am on the conservative side here being a libertarian and ex-military so I see much more validity in the need to keep some sort of absentee ballot vs making sure the poor who supposedly can't get a picture ID for free.

Funny that even in the states that offered free government IDs for those who request them still are shot down. What is the reason for that?

You need a photo id to buy booze, smokes to drive a car, but not to vote. No ID no vote to stupid to get an ID to stupid to vote!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Trades;4397789]Most absentee ballots are filed by military personnel that are deployed overseas. What is your answer for them?[/QUOTE]

I believe that the same country that can control a remote-control airplane via satellite link-ups from a laptop on the other side of the world could come up with the technology that would allow a person to cast a ballot in real time from a military base in a foreign country.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised we still don't use the Pony Express to deliver ballots. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Trades;4397789]Most absentee ballots are filed by military personnel that are deployed overseas. What is your answer for them? How early can they vote? Replacing absentee ballots can be seen as a liberal attempt to remove the military vote from the process just as requiring IDs is see as a conservative attempt to exempt the poor.

I am on the conservative side here being a libertarian and ex-military so I see much more validity in the need to keep some sort of absentee ballot vs making sure the poor who supposedly can't get a picture ID for free.

Funny that even in the states that offered free government IDs for those who request them still are shot down. What is the reason for that?[/QUOTE]

The Military has been developing internet voting for the deployed troops.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4397761][IMG]http://www.se30.com/users/grindingbassline/albums/album10/huge_spider.sized.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

why you sonuva... :D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4397800]I believe that the same country that can control a remote-control airplane via satellite link-ups from a laptop on the other side of the world could come up with the technology that would allow a person to cast a ballot in real time from a military base in a foreign country.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised we still don't use the Pony Express to deliver ballots. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Ballot methods are administered by state and local governments, not the Federal Gov't.

But you're right, no reason we should be still pulling levers either.

Hall Of Fame
    Keep telling me that what I've seen with my own eyes never happens. Maybe you can convince yourself this didn't happen either. :rolleyes:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5p70YbRiPw[/url]

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4431203]Keep telling me that what I've seen with my own eyes never happens. Maybe you can convince yourself this didn't happen either. :rolleyes:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5p70YbRiPw[/url][/QUOTE]

You'll hear nothing but crickets... Or someone will derail immediately...