Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo ID's

Photo ID's

Was listening to Sirius Left the other evening, and they were discussing Photo ID Check Laws for Elections.

as you'd expect, they were 100% against it, and claimed the only reason such a law would be passed was a conscious effort to descriminate and violate the civil rights of Blanks and Hispanics.

Pretty standard professional-liberal view on the issue.

What got my attention was this: The guest claimed that in many jurisdictions (she was specificly discussing Detriot if I recall), 78% of black men aged 18-24 did not have any form of State Issued Photo ID.

She went on to list off many more stats on lack of Photo ID amongst black and hispanics, but basicly (boiled down) was claiming ~50% of all minorities do not have a valid State Issued Photo ID.

My question is this.....why?

The way I was raised, a Photo ID (ID, Permit or Driver's Licence) was a basic part of the transitition from child to adulthood. It was never considered optional, the cost (generally ranging from free to $5.00) was never considered a burden, and the idea of simply not getting an ID never crossed my, my fellow students, or anyone I knew's mind.

Why is it, what are the factors, that leads to 50-80% of minorities simply ignoring the entire photo ID concept? Given the many things you use your ID for, from simply beer buying, to a host of other things (incld. Employment), what would elad people to skip getting one?

I'm genuinely interested here, cause the stat of 78% blew my mind.

Possible issues relate to warrants, legal status (felon or illegal), etc...

There's no real answer to the question... There are simply too many underlying factors and no way to discern what the majority is, I imagine...

Obama just vetoed the law Texas passed requiring photo ID's at the polls...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4393380]I'm genuinely interested here, cause the stat of 78% blew my mind.[/QUOTE]

She probably just made the percentage up. Seems made up.

I saw some stats on Nate Silver's site that said the group that had the highest percentage of people w/o photo ID's were the elderly.

I think photo ID's [I]should[/I] be required to vote...but only if a stand-alone photo ID (not a driver's license) could be gotten free of charge. If not, then it's a roundabout poll tax.

All Pro
    How would a 22 year old with out ID buy beer?

Do they ID an 18 year old if he wants a pack of smokes.

So young men no longer have banking accounts? How would they cash there checks?

Oregon switched to vote by mail about 8/10 years ago, I resented it at first, but now acknowledge the convenience and cost effectiveness of it. There has been very little reports of abuse of vote by mail here.

Inner city males ride public transit and think the govt is out to get them.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4393386]

Obama just vetoed the law Texas passed requiring photo ID's at the polls...[/QUOTE]

Hang on, what? Link?

How can the president veto a state law?

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4393620]Hang on, what? Link?

How can the president veto a state law?[/QUOTE]

The President didn't the US Justice Department blocked it.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/us/justice-dept-blocks-texas-photo-id-law.html?hp[/url]

[QUOTE]WASHINGTON — The Justice Department’s civil rights division on Monday blocked Texas from enforcing a new law requiring voters to present photo identification at the polls, contending that the rule would disproportionately suppress turnout among eligible Hispanic voters. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Warfish;4393380]Was listening to Sirius Left the other evening, and they were discussing Photo ID Check Laws for Elections.

as you'd expect, they were 100% against it, and claimed the only reason such a law would be passed was a conscious effort to descriminate and violate the civil rights of Blanks and Hispanics.

Pretty standard professional-liberal view on the issue.

What got my attention was this: The guest claimed that in many jurisdictions (she was specificly discussing Detriot if I recall), 78% of black men aged 18-24 did not have any form of State Issued Photo ID.

She went on to list off many more stats on lack of Photo ID amongst black and hispanics, but basicly (boiled down) was claiming ~50% of all minorities do not have a valid State Issued Photo ID.

My question is this.....why?

The way I was raised, a Photo ID (ID, Permit or Driver's Licence) was a basic part of the transitition from child to adulthood. It was never considered optional, the cost (generally ranging from free to $5.00) was never considered a burden, and the idea of simply not getting an ID never crossed my, my fellow students, or anyone I knew's mind.

Why is it, what are the factors, that leads to 50-80% of minorities simply ignoring the entire photo ID concept? Given the many things you use your ID for, from simply beer buying, to a host of other things (incld. Employment), what would elad people to skip getting one?

I'm genuinely interested here, cause the stat of 78% blew my mind.[/QUOTE]

I bet they have ID when they go to the bar.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4393648]I bet they have ID when they go to the bar.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Nada

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4393620]Hang on, what? Link?

How can the president veto a state law?[/QUOTE]

Sorry... I embellished, mildly...

But... It was done by this dude... Whom was appointed by the Pres...

[quote]Perez's nomination languished for several months amid questions by Republican senators about his record on immigration matters[/quote]

Go figure...

[QUOTE=cr726;4393397]Inner city males ride public transit and think the govt is out to get them.[/QUOTE]

Especially when da baby momma's get da check. SMFH

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4393390]She probably just made the percentage up. Seems made up.

I saw some stats on Nate Silver's site that said the group that had the highest percentage of people w/o photo ID's were the elderly.

I think photo ID's [I]should[/I] be required to vote...but only if a stand-alone photo ID (not a driver's license) could be gotten free of charge. If not, then it's a roundabout poll tax.[/QUOTE]

Texas offered to provide them for free in their bill.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4393646]The President didn't the US Justice Department blocked it.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/us/justice-dept-blocks-texas-photo-id-law.html?hp[/url][/QUOTE]

So groups like Acorn(whatever name they are going by) can't try to steal elections. Look at the voter fraud upstate newyork. Supposedly everyone in the project voted for the liberal Democrat. Yet most of those people never even went to the polls.

You want to have the right to vote, everyone should have a picture ID to prove who they say they are.

When you collect welfare , don't you have to prove who you are.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4393784]Texas offered to provide them for free in their bill.[/QUOTE]

If I recall, existing Federal Law allows ID Checks-for-Voting [U]only[/U] if the ID in question is offered fre-of-charge by the State.

Either they've ignored that existing Law, or there is some other aspect of the Texas Law that warranted the block.

Fear of the Man. Plain and simple. And shiftlessness.

I have no problem with showing a photo id when you vote.You need an id for every other damn thing..for something as important as voting you should need one.

Texas, like South Carolina has a history of suppressing minority voting, hence why the DOJ is involved via the Voting Rights Act.

Would be interesting to see Texas pull an Obama.

Obamacare has already been struck down in lower courts, yet implementation continues.

Texas, being Texas, should say "thanks for your opinion....we're doing it anyway, STates Rights, best of luck stopping us".

Oh, the lols that would ensue.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4394509]Texas, being Texas, should say "thanks for your opinion....we're doing it anyway, STates Rights, best of luck stopping us".

Oh, the lols that would ensue.[/QUOTE]

They should :yes:

November can't get here fast enough.