Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student loans: The next debt bomb

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Student loans: The next debt bomb

Bankruptcy lawyers have a frightening message for America: They’re seeing the telltale signs of a student loan debt bubble that is placing increased financial pressure on families struggling with their children’s mounting debt. According to a recent survey by the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, more than 80 percent of bankruptcy lawyers have seen a substantial increase in the number of clients seeking relief from student loans in recent years.

In most cases, those clients could not meet the federal hardship standards that are necessary to discharge a student loan through bankruptcy proceedings. Instead, many of these parents or guardians who co-signed the student loans face the prospect of losing their life savings, cars or homes to collection agencies for aggressive private lenders.

William Brewer, head of NACBA, has said, “This could very well be the next debt bomb for the U.S. economy” — something akin to the housing mortgage loan crisis that triggered the U.S. financial crisis.

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/student-loans-seen-as-potential-next-debt-bomb-for-us-economy/2012/03/05/gIQAM0iF4R_story.html[/url]
    Last edited by Frequent Flyer; 03-13-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    God forbid someone question the academic community on the cost of higher education. It certainly isn't cost-based.
    It's a shell game on a monumental scale.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;4394403]God forbid someone question the academic community on the cost of higher education. It certainly isn't cost-based.
    It's a shell game on a monumental scale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a racket.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;4394403]God forbid someone question the academic community on the cost of higher education. It certainly isn't cost-based.
    It's a shell game on a monumental scale.[/QUOTE]

+Infinity

Folks talk about "Obscene profits" in other industries, the higher education industry is teeming with profiteering and massive over-charging vs. real costs.

If you knew how much of your tax dollars were already going to State Universities, you'd choke when you get the first tuituion bill.

All to pay for $200,000 Professors and $5,000,000 a year Basketball Coaches.;)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4394492]+Infinity

Folks talk about "Obscene profits" in other industries, the higher education industry is teeming with profiteering and massive over-charging vs. real costs.

If you knew how much of your tax dollars were already going to State Universities, you'd choke when you get the first tuituion bill.

All to pay for $200,000 Professors and $5,000,000 a year Basketball Coaches.;)[/QUOTE]

:beers:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All to pay for [B]$200,000 Professors [/B]and $5,000,000 a year Basketball Coaches.;)[/QUOTE]

Underestimate.

Let's not forget that these higher education institutes are able to charge this much because they can. Student loan/grant access has a lot to do with that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

All to pay for $200,000 Professors and $5,000,000 a year Basketball Coaches.;)[/QUOTE]

Not sure about the $200,000, I am SURE that number is plenty OK for many but I taught at UNCC for many years and can tell you the MOST profs do NOT make anywhere near that. Tenured profs make about 100K to 120K with 6 percent THATS IT applied towards their pension. A NON guranteed pension that is tantamount to a 401K. They also have Phd's. The "Better" profs bring in revenue through grants and studies etc and make extra that way.

In my view... a piece of the problem is the easy ability to federal loans thus making Phoenix, Strayer and other"paper" colleges appear legit.

I want to puke when I see all these kids with 60 to 80K loans with general degrees in business, english etc..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    WHY??? do theses thieves need this kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$?????????
    Popular Articles About Endowment
    NEWS
    Harvard's top endowment managers make millions: reports
    December 19, 2008 | Wallace Witkowski
    SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- The six top managers of Harvard's endowment were paid a total of $22.4 million to $26.9 million for the year ended June 30, according to multiple media reports Friday. The university's endowment, the nation's largest, hit a peak value of $[COLOR="black"][COLOR="black"][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Red"]36.9 billion[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] at the end of the fiscal year on June 30, but has since lost about 22% of its value.
    Endowment Articles By Date

Harvard endowment hires Devir from BarCap
    May 4, 2011 | Alistair Barr
    SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Harvard Management Company said Wednesday it hired John Devir from Barclays Capital (US:bcs) (UK:barc) to help manage the university's giant endowment. Devir will report to Stephen Blyth, head of internal management, and will oversee a team focused on equity strategies in developed markets, Harvard Management added. Devir was head of equity strategies at Barclays Capital in New York. He had a similar role at Lehman Brothers (US:lehmq) from 2005 to 2008.
    NEWS
    Princeton plans budget cuts on drop in endowment: WSJ
    January 8, 2009 | Sue Chang
    SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Princeton University plans budget cuts to offset an expected drop in its endowment and said it will raise tuition and fees next fall by 2.9%, the smallest hike in 43 years, the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday on its Web site. Princeton's endowment, worth $[COLOR="Red"]16.3 billion[/COLOR] on June 30, ranks fourth among major universities, behind Harvard, Yale and Stanford, the newspaper said.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4394586]Student loan/grant access has a lot to do with that.[/QUOTE]

Now you've found your real culprit...

If the majority of Americans had no access to the money upfront, you bring down the cost...

It's the only way...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL!
    I agree that the costs of higher efucation in this country are obscene. But to suggest that college professor's salaries is a factor is a joke. A Full professor usually makes arround 125,000. It typically takes 15-20 years to become a full professor and most never get promoted to that rank. To become a full professor you need to publish a significant ammount of research and in the sciences this means bringing in hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants which help the university tremendously. Associate professors make 80-100k while Assistant Professors make 60-80k.

Your disdain for academics is comical but also boarderlines on insane.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've worked in academia for almost 13 years now and trust me, the money isn't going to professors. Most of it goes to administrators...

[url]http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/septemberoctober_2011/features/administrators_ate_my_tuition031641.php?page=all&print=true[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;4394931]LOL!
    I agree that the costs of higher efucation in this country are obscene. But to suggest that college professor's salaries is a factor is a joke. A Full professor usually makes arround 125,000. It typically takes 15-20 years to become a full professor and most never get promoted to that rank. To become a full professor you need to publish a significant ammount of research and in the sciences this means bringing in hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants which help the university tremendously. Associate professors make 80-100k while Assistant Professors make 60-80k.

Your disdain for academics is comical but also boarderlines on insane.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised you're defending college professors...

I had three that were Jewish...

You sure you don't want to change your mind?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4395035]I'm surprised you're defending college professors...

You sure you don't want to change your mind?[/QUOTE]

Mostly secular, atheist and lib/ commie. I'm surprised that your surprised!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4395035]I'm surprised you're defending college professors...

I'm not sure why you would think the top Anti-Israel poster here was Jewish. As sickening as it is I have to agree with Kenya there. The Professors are not the reason for the high tuition costs. They don't make much more than school teachers. Private Universities should charge whatever they want. People in most states have State Schools that subsidize the tuition. Choose to go to one of those if you cant afford the private tuition.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4395043]I'm not sure why you would think the top Anti-Israel poster here was Jewish.[/QUOTE]

I thought what I said was fairly clear...

I was surprised he was defending a profession littered with folks he's so resentful of...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the Jewish people. Its thepolicies of Israel, specifically the Likud party that i disdain. If you ever visited Israel, you would see that more people agree with me than you would imagine.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;4394931]I agree that the costs of higher efucation in this country are obscene.[/quote]

Nice to see we agree for a change.

What would you say are the top three main causes then of that obscenity?

[QUOTE]But tuggest that college professor's salaries is a factor is a joke.[/QUOTE]

If you say so.....Professor.

[quote]Your disdain for academics is comical but also boarderlines on insane.[/QUOTE]

What disdain?

I'm college educated myself, and in a perfect world would LOVE to do nothing BUT go to school for the rest of my life. If I ever won the lottery, thats part of what I'd do with my life, amass about 8 degrees in the subjects that truly interest me, Millitary History, Astronomy, Geology, Music Theory, Writing and Literature, etc. I read more non-fiction science or history books that (I'd bet) most folks I know or work with, and am passionate that education is the most vital choice one can make as an individual.

My disdain has never been about education. It's for the system of education, and those who profiteer of it, and those who use it for politcal aims. Oh, and those who forced affirmative action on it, and screwed me personally, but thats old hat at this stage
    Last edited by Warfish; 03-13-2012 at 04:59 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone seen the new structures being erected at some of these schools? Those costs are tremendous and they are paid for with the student loan program.

True, some of these colleges make obscene monies on the sports programs and yet they are still able to overcharge for the education. College, like war is a racket

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;4395251]I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the Jewish people. Its thepolicies of Israel, specifically the Likud party that i disdain. If you ever visited Israel, you would see that more people agree with me than you would imagine.[/QUOTE]

I have been there many times. Israelis are a diverse society. Like Jews in America the vast majority are secular and socially very liberal. Aside from a few left wing loons which exisit in any free democratic society the vast majority of folks would not agree with your virlulent anti-Israel sentiment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4395047]I thought what I said was fairly clear...

I was surprised he was defending a profession littered with folks he's so resentful of...[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I misread the post.