Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: JETS FA Rumor Thread

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    @SMorgan3090 @JennyVrentas hearing anything about Nelson?

@JennyVrentas Still visiting with team. RT @SMorgan3090: @JennyVrentas hearing anything about Nelson? #nyj

@NickSpano that's a good sign RT “@JennyVrentas: Still visiting with team. RT @SMorgan3090: @JennyVrentas hearing anything about Nelson? #nyj”

I tweeted Jenny and this was the reply

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nelson's agent

[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/joereedy"][B]Joe Reedy[/B] ‏ @[B]joereedy[/B] [/URL]
    Reggie Nelson's trip to the Jets will continue tomorrow

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4400186]Nelson's agent

[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/joereedy"][B]Joe Reedy[/B] ‏ @[B]joereedy[/B] [/URL]
    Reggie Nelson's trip to the Jets will continue tomorrow[/QUOTE]

Very nice....get errrrr donne

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4400186]Nelson's agent

Reggie Nelson's trip to the Jets will continue tomorrow[/QUOTE]

Not his agent, media guy that covers the Bengals.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=j e t s;4400232]Not his agent, media guy that covers the Bengals.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. My bad. I corrected it in another thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets have $12.7 million in cap space according to PFT

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4400261]The Jets have $12.7 million in cap space according to PFT[/QUOTE]

Plenty to sign Nelson (and maybe Landry if Tanny gets creative).

C'mon Mike, make it happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Jenny Vrentas is saying that the $12.7 figure doesnt include the contracts for Stanton and Schillens.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They arent going to spend it all. They will leave $10MM for rookies and contingency funds.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4400270]They arent going to spend it all. They will leave $10MM for rookies and contingency funds.[/QUOTE]

More like 7M

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cant wait;4400278]More like 7M[/QUOTE]

I'd say 5M, so that means they can spend about 5M on another player, hopefully Nelson.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right from Jason:

Projecting the Year 1 Rookie Salaries

With free agency underway and a number of questions as to just how much the Jets really have to spend I wanted to take a quick look at the potential rookie allotments for the team. The new CBA uses a slotted system for their rookie contracts where the expected total value and year one cap number are based on a percentage of a total number. Last year the number was $159 million in year 1 cap charges and $874 million in total contract value for all rookies drafted. The actual spend, based on information I have collected on rookie contracts, looks to have been $158.9 million and $860.2 million respectively.

With the numbers only expected to rise by the same percentage increase in the salary cap it looks as if the new limits will only be $159.3 million and $875.6 million this year. That should likely create a big problem for rookies and their agents because the small percentage in the cap does not increase equally with the increase in the minimum salary for an NFL player, which rose by 4%. Last year, for instance, the first rounders accounted for just over 40% of all Year 1 salary cap charges. For that ratio to stay intact the 7th round selections average year one cap charge would have to be under $390,000, the minimum wage in the NFL for 2011. So there is likely going to have to be money given up this season for the top end rookie class compared to last season.

In order to try to calculate a fair estimate I took last years minimum salary out of each players salary and determined just how much they were charged in excess of the $375,000 minimum. For instance Cam Newton’s cap charge would be reduced from $4,004,636 to $3,629,636. It represented a salary figure that was about 7 times higher than the final pick in the first round and 316 times higher than the final non-compensatory pick in the NFL draft. Since the minimum wage is constant regardless of draft round I wanted to keep the excess they can earn in line with the figures I had from last season.

Based on those numbers it would seem that Andrew Luck’s year one cap charge would reduce to $3.871 million from Newton’s $4.004 million the year before. Obviously there is some wiggle room in that number which occurs during negotiations and most likely the lower drafted guys will feel the brunt before they reduce the number 1 picks salary, but someone is getting hurt this season compared to last year in terms of signing bonus money. Agents are going to be pushing for more guarantees for their low round selections to make up for it. Likely another in a string of losses for the Players Association who really are getting beaten up left and right on this new CBA agreement

Here are the estimates for the Jets draft selections:

Round 1, pick 16 - $1,550,957
    Round 2, pick 15- $767,332
    Round 3, pick 14-$538,529
    Round 4, pick 13-$498,758
    Round 5, pick 19- $435,076
    Round 6, pick 18- $414,953
    Round 7, pick 17- $403,631
    Total: $4,609,237

Compensatory picks are not included in the total numbers and each seems to be treated about the same despite the order of selection. We do expect the Jets to be awarded compensatory selections in the draft and those totals would be added to the actual draft total. The estimated numbers are as follows:

Round 3- $511,326
    Round 4- $462,069
    Round 5- $424,661
    Round 6- $408,865
    Round 7- $401,005

So the bottom line is the Jets will likely be allocated a minimum of $4.61 million of their salary cap to sign their rookies and that number will grow if they happen to be rewarded compensatory picks or picks via trade. Each player should replace another player making the minimum salary in 2012 so the net effect is only about $1.88 million in additional salary cap charges that has to be allocated for the 7 first round selections in 2012.

If anyone would like me to give a guesstimate for any other team please just send me an email with the team and what selections they are expected to have in the draft and I’ll put a post up on it. Im going to try to also follow all the draft selections to better model these estimates for the future, so if anyone has any salary data to pass along please feel free. All information is kept confidential if it comes from an unpublished source.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/BrianCoz"][B]Brian Costello[/B] ‏ @[B]BrianCoz[/B][/URL]
    LaRon Landry's visit with Jets is tomorrow. He's at Patriots today.

[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/JennyVrentas"][B]Jenny Vrentas[/B] ‏ @[B]JennyVrentas[/B][/URL]
    Likely looking at short-term deals w/Landry. But in thin safety market, with many visits skedded, will $ go up + will Jets want to pay? [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23nyj"]#[B]nyj[/B][/URL]

Landry still intends to make all his visits (Jets and 4 other teams, as of now). Looks like Jets now tmrw, as [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/BrianCoz"]@[B]BrianCoz[/B][/URL] noted.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cant wait;4400278]More like 7M[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4400296]I'd say 5M, so that means they can spend about 5M on another player, hopefully Nelson.[/QUOTE]

It will cost at least $5MM to sign the rookies.

Last year they left about an $8MM contingency AFTER signing rookies which was meant to help them be under the cap this year b.c of the carry-over.

If Tanny thinks they are going to be in a similar situation next year, he may hold even more money.