Thread: Why are Gingrich and Paul Still In The Race?

Why are Gingrich and Paul Still In The Race?

At this point, it would seem there is very little chance of either winning. Traditionally, when winning is no longer an option, the candidate drops out, and (usually) endorces one of the remaining candidates.

Both Gingrich and Paul are pretty much out at this point.

So what (do you think) Motivates them to stay in? What is their plan, their end-game, for their campaigns, because their rhetoric aside, both must realize they cannot win now.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4396265]At this point, it would seem there is very little chance of either winning. Traditionally, when winning is no longer an option, the candidate drops out, and (usually) endorces one of the remaining candidates.

So what (do you think) Motivates them to stay in? What is their plan, their end-game, for their campaigns, because their rhetoric aside, both must realize they cannot win now.[/QUOTE]

I agree they should all drop out. Even Santorum is a huge long shot at this point.

I think Paul wants to further the Libertarian agenda in the Republican party. He will probably drop out soon though.

Gingrich has proven time and again that he is out of touch and only cares about himself both in politics and his "private" life so no surprise that he is holding on.

All Pro
    Gingrich is just trying to get as much attention as he can, and seem relevant so he can sell books, be a highly paid talking head. Plus he really digs himslef and greatly enjoys hearing himself speak.

Paul does not care that he can't, he just wants to keep getting his message out. He's not running for his seat again so this is his last gasp, in terms of selling his anti-fed, anti war/intervention ideas.

I would have really liked to have seen Paul win a few states just for that purpose. I did vote for him in the VA primary and will strongly consider him in the general but will likely have to hold my nose to try and get Obama out.

Gingrich is in because he has a fantasy of joining up with Santorum at the convention to steal the nomination from Romney. Paul is pushing an agenda and has little motivation to exit the race.

The reality is that as Gingrich stays in the Southern States with their Mormon distrusting social values driven agendas are splitting votes that could have gone to Santorum exclusively. Last nights delegate talleys in the South were basically evenly distributed between the three top contenders. A moral victory for Santorum but a delegate victory for Romney.

Even in thos deep south States Romney dominated in urban and suburban areas. Santorum continued his domination in rural areas. Santorum wont have a chance in States like New Jersey, New York and California which are mostly urban and suburban populations. The exit polls have been very consistent this year in terms of which voters are going for which candidates.

On the plus side, Obama's strengths are also in urban and affluent suburbs. Romney will surely cut in to his strength in those areas in the general. It's like in football matching up a (Romney) average offense and great defense versus (Obama) a great offense and a subpar Defense.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4396322]Gingrich is in because he has a fantasy of joining up with Santorum at the convention to steal the nomination from Romney.[/quote]

I agree, although I wouldn't use the word "steal" myself. If Romney doesn't win outright, the Convention picks. Nothign "stealing" about following protocol.

[QUOTE]Paul is pushing an agenda and has little motivation to exit the race.[/QUOTE]

He also has a working relationship throughout this campaign with Romney, has not attacked him much if at all, and has served as Romney's Conservative-attack-dog. Word is an arrangment exists between the two, although as expected, both deny it.

Guess we'll see if either Paul speaks at the Convention, or if either Paul has any role in a Romney Administration should he win.

[QUOTE]Santorum wont have a chance in States like New Jersey, New York and California which are mostly urban and suburban populations.[/QUOTE]

You don't actually think Romney will win those states....do you?

I see Gingrich as a egomaniac myself, who refuses to give in to obvious fail and in doing so hurts his party.

Paul.....I think Paul is a sellout with ahandshake deal of some kind with Romney for his son's future tbh.

Jets Insider VIP
    Gingrich: ego, pure and simple.

Paul: pushing an alternative view. He's always been about the message, never really believed or believes he could win. He views himself as a patriot laying groundwork for the next generation of Libertarians. And he's still fueled by young money and the interwebz. I hope he runs every four years until he dies or a legitimate Libertarian candidate comes along to take the reigns, whichever comes first. At the very least, he's entertaining.

Jets Insider VIP
    Angling for the VP nod, or a position in the administration if they drop out and endorse. Politics as usual ("what's in it for me?").

[QUOTE=Trades;4396275]I agree they should all drop out.[B] Even Santorum is a huge long shot at this point. [/B]

I think Paul wants to further the Libertarian agenda in the Republican party. He will probably drop out soon though.

Gingrich has proven time and again that he is out of touch and only cares about himself both in politics and his "private" life so no surprise that he is holding on.[/QUOTE]

respectfully disagree about Santorum being a "huge longshot". When Gingrich drops out Santorum will get a one on one with Romney. If he performs well from that point forward he will make a strong argument for the nomination. I agee that Romney, thanks in large part to being able to outspend his competition 3-1, is the favorite. But Santorum has a shot.

I think Paul is staying in it to get his message out there and also for his son to get a cabinet position. The GOP will lose the race if Paul runs 3rd party.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Cause they're jerks.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4398527]Cause they're jerks.[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!

That's pretty simple...

All Pro
    In my opinion, they are hoping for a brokered Convention where anything can happen.

Santorum is starting to catch up to Romney in terms of state victories.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4396265]At this point, it would seem there is very little chance of either winning. Traditionally, when winning is no longer an option, the candidate drops out, and (usually) endorces one of the remaining candidates.

So what (do you think) Motivates them to stay in? What is their plan, their end-game, for their campaigns, because their rhetoric aside, both must realize they cannot win now.[/QUOTE]

I hope they stay in. Four clowns in a clown car is funnier than just two clowns.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=nj2socaljetsfan;4398432]I think Paul is staying in it to get his message out there and also for his son to get a cabinet position. The GOP will lose the race if Paul runs 3rd party.[/QUOTE]

How does the son rank up compared to Dad? Why didn't the son just run for the nomination himself?