Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just L.O.L.

Just L.O.L.

[IMG]http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/U.S./660/371/obamaflag2640.jpg[/IMG]

The Obamaflag.

Just when I think the (R) have a monopoly on stupid tin-ear political management, the (D) remind me that their just as tone-deaf at times to how things look (the "optics", isn't that the newish political watchword these days?)

Just lol.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

horrendous

I like the picture they used, I mean, if you are going to make an Obama American flag wouldn't you use a picture that doesn't make it look like he is constipated?

Jets Insider VIP
    It is amazing that they could be so friggin stupid.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4396400][IMG]http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/U.S./660/371/obamaflag2640.jpg[/IMG]

The Obamaflag.

Just when I think the (R) have a monopoly on stupid tin-ear political management, the (D) remind me that their just as tone-deaf at times to how things look (the "optics", isn't that the newish political watchword these days?)

Just lol.[/QUOTE]

They should put 57 stars on it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4396476]They should put 57 stars on it.[/QUOTE]

LOL, they replaced 50 bright stars with one fading one.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

LOL

Yeah, there's no cult of personality with this guy. Not at all.

"I pledge allegiance, to Obama, of the United States of Obama..."

All Pro
    In general, I tend to discourage and disagree with the deifying of politicians. It represents a dictorial/monarchical form of worship.

You can extend this argument to Presidential portraits on coins/paper money and monuments such as Mount Rushmore.

I would be curious to see what the reaction would be if this image of the flag was replaced by one with Ronald Reagan on it. My guess is the reaction from both sides would be quite different.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;4396534]In general, I tend to discourage and disagree with the deifying of politicians. It represents a dictorial/monarchical form of worship.

You can extend this argument to Presidential portraits on coins/paper money and monuments such as Mount Rushmore.

I would be curious to see what the reaction would be if this image of the flag was replaced by one with Ronald Reagan on it. My guess is the reaction from both sides would be quite different.[/QUOTE]

Dead people on stuff doesn't really have the same meaning. Especially those who have actually accomplished significant and positive contributions to society.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4396541]Dead people on stuff doesn't really have the same meaning. Especially those who have actually accomplished significant and positive contributions to society.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how dead vs. alive plays any meaningful role. Worship is worship.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4396541]Dead people on stuff doesn't really have the same meaning. Especially those who have actually accomplished significant and positive contributions to society.[/QUOTE]

Or actually love the flag and the country it represents.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;4396546]I don't see how dead vs. alive plays any meaningful role. Worship is worship.[/QUOTE]

Different degrees of silly.

[QUOTE=parafly;4396546]I don't see how dead vs. alive plays any meaningful role. Worship is worship.[/QUOTE]

I believe people who have played a major role in the foundation of this country deserve to be memorialized, which is different from worshipped.

Putting someone on a flag who has not done anything so far (and in fairness, hasn't had the time to even if he could) is DEFINITELY more in line with deification/worship . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4396558]I believe people who have played a major role in the foundation of this country deserve to be memorialized, which is different from worshipped.

Putting someone on a flag who has not done anything so far (and in fairness, hasn't had the time to even if he could) is DEFINITELY more in line with deification/worship . . .[/QUOTE]

None of them belong on the American flag, dead or alive. The flag and all it represents shouldn't be bastardized.

You don't see any difference between George Washington's face on the money, and Barrack Obama face on the U.S. Flag in place of the Stars.

*speechless*

For the record, if anyone ever puts Ronald Regans face on the Flag, I hereby am against it and repeat what I said in the OP.

If someone some day puts Obama on the money....well, I can't say it's really earned tbh, but I suppose for the historic nature of being the first bi-racial President, I'm ok with it.

[QUOTE=Trades;4396567]None of them belong on the American flag, dead or alive. The flag and all it represents shouldn't be bastardized.[/QUOTE]

And none of them are.

But the argument shouldn't be "does Obama deserve to be on a flag" -- being recognized in ANY form would be deifying him, as he's done nothing to deserve the attention . . .

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;4396579]
    If someone some day puts Obama on the money....[/QUOTE]
    I hear he is the front runner for the trillion dollar bill

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4396579]You don't see any difference between George Washington's face on the money, and Barrack Obama face on the U.S. Flag in place of the Stars.[/QUOTE]

In terms of deifying politicians and/or historical figures, no.

Measures of greatness are in the eye of the beholder.

[QUOTE=parafly;4396619]In terms of deifying politicians and/or historical figures, no.

Measures of greatness are in the eye of the beholder.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree, and point out a difference in intent between respecting/honoring and deifying.

I love money, and I don't see any man on our money as a God. However, I do see our money as having honored theri place in our collective national history.

Measures of Greatness are not only in the eye of the individual, but also in that of the collective when it comes to formal, official, honorarium.

Out of curiosity, what would have on our money in place of the dead Presidents, how would you name all the schools and buildings named after people, etc.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4396626]I would disagree, and point out a difference in intent between respecting/honoring and deifying.[/QUOTE]

In my mind, the difference is semantics. Objectively classifying intent is very difficult. One man's honoring is another man's deifying.

[QUOTE]Measures of Greatness are not only in the eye of the individual, but also in that of the collective when it comes to formal, official, honorarium.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. My only argument here is what defines "collective," and does it exclude the minority populations of society?

From the perspective of the African American community, Obama has achieved greatness based solely on the fact of being elected POTUS.

[QUOTE]Out of curiosity, what would have on our money in place of the dead Presidents, how would you name all the schools and buildings named after people, etc.[/QUOTE]

A symbol, number, or inanimate object.

Just to be clear, I don't really have a problem with any of the memorializing. Just playing devil's advocate and pointing out the various scenarios are really not all that different.