Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Reggie Nelson

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I would love to see the Jets sign both, Nelson is a Free Safety & Laudry a Strong Safety.

That would be quite an upgrade.
    Nelson is the perfect cover 1 saftey.....a true playmaking centerfielder in rex's defense is huge!!!!!

imagine Landry in that hybrid LB/S role in the 46 defense....he would cause hell!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    I would prefer a Nelson/Leonhard combo over a Nelson/Landry combo. Assuming Leonhard can play, of course.

The Jets will miss Leonhard's tackling. He is as sure a tackler as you will find in the NFL and has been playing somewhat out of position with the Jets since Rhodes left. Not to mention, who would navigate all the traffic and make the calls. Two new players will have a ton of trouble with that and asking a CB to do it is not logical.

Leonhard had his best year with Ed Reed playing center field.

Jets Insider VIP
    Reggie Nelson, the Bengals top free agent that hit the market on March 13, when contracts expired and key defensive players began an exodus out of Cincinnati. Jonathan Fanene and Frostee Rucker, both backups though productive, have already departed to join new teams. Safety Reggie Nelson hasn't developed huge interest on the open market, but the New York Jets invited Cincinnati's starting free safety on Friday for an overnight stay.

Through a team source in New York, the Jets are 70 percent certain that they'll sign Nelson on Saturday, according to Kristian Dyer, who covers the New York Jets for Metro New York.

It's been assumed that the Bengals are perfectly willing to let Nelson leave, hinting during the NFL Combine last month that they're comfortable giving guys like Taylor Mays and Robert Sands an opportunity if it comes to that. Additionally it was somewhat telling that the team choose to use the franchise tag on place kicker Mike Nugent, rather than Nelson, who would have required a modest $6 million cap number on a team that's currently sitting with $38.9 million against the cap.
    Good sign..

Veteran
    how about bringing back a guy like abram elam. he's a solid player

Kristian Dyer
    ‏ @KristianRDyer
    Following

Source says Jets have placed a higher priority on Landry then Nelson, think he fits their scheme perfectly.

Jake Steinberg ‏ @Steiny31
    If the #Jets have a higher priority on Landry, but they're 70% certain a deal gets done with Nelson tdy, clearly that means they want both.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    clearly that means they want both.

... or are using the media to play high stakes pokes with the agents ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
    how about bringing back a guy like abram elam. he's a solid player
    Ya, I always thought he was an above average playmaker. Certainly got burned at time, but he made plays on the ball - instead just blind coverage.

So Nelson & Landry? Sweet. Cut the Power Rangers.

Kristian Dyer
    ‏ @KristianRDyer
    Following

Source says Jets have placed a higher priority on Landry then Nelson, think he fits their scheme perfectly.

If the #Jets have a higher priority on Landry, but they're 70% certain a deal gets done with Nelson tdy, clearly that means they want both.
    who are these two again?

^^^they are reporters, one is for SNY and another for some metro news station. Not big scale like Manish and Cimini, but still cover the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    ^^^they are reporters, one is for SNY and another for some metro news station. Not big scale like Manish and Cimini, but still cover the team.
    Steinberg has great contacts though. He does not write BS.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 03-17-2012 at 02:22 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Steinberg has great contatcs though. He does not write BS.
    +1

he's been on point since FA started....

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Steinberg has great contacts though. He does not write BS.
    +1

If we sign Landry, I hope Rex tells him that he will pay his fines for BS calls on big hits. Patriots WRs need to be punished, Landry can't be holding back for fear of being fined.

One good thing about E. Smith was the punishment he dished out on Welker over the years.

Kristian Dyer
    ‏ @KristianRDyer
    Following

Funny..These guys are saying the same thing Matt Williamson tweeted over a hour ago...

Matt Williamson ‏ @WilliamsonNFL
    @InUrFaceSports @PriscoCBS @ProFootbalFocus For #Jets, I like Landry over Nelson simply for the fact of dealing w #Patriots TEs 2x/yr

@PriscoCBS @inurfacesports @profootbalfocus I feel ya, but Landry has the physicality that Nelson lacks vs. Gronk & Hernandez

@InUrFaceSports @PriscoCBS @ProFootbalFocus Also think Nelson is more of a deep Centerfield type FS instead of running with big time TEs

Matt Williamson

@WilliamsonNFL

NFL Scout for ESPN.com and Scouts, Inc. Also host of Football Today Podcast.

I follow Williamson on twitter. Probably the smartest guy I follow, in terms of Football knowledge. Always very on point.

All Pro
    It's amazing to me how the guy we want so desperately is being replaced on his team by a kid the Jets could have and should have drafted last yr.This team is always reacting instead of being proactive.

Last yr,the Jets should have drafted Robert Sands from WVU.Everyone knew that the safeties were bad and were not going into the final yr(s) of their contracts.Sands was about 1 yr away and now 1 yr later he's being offered the Job the guy we're so desperate to get had.

"With the Jets,It's always something".

Tinstar

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    It's amazing to me how the guy we want so desperately is being replaced on his team by a kid the Jets could have and should have drafted last yr.This team is always reacting instead of being proactive.

Last yr,the Jets should have drafted Robert Sands from WVU.Everyone knew that the safeties were bad and were not going into the final yr(s) of their contracts.Sands was about 1 yr away and now 1 yr later he's being offered the Job the guy we're so desperate to get had.

"With the Jets,It's always something".

Tinstar
    A 6'4 221 pound safety.. He has to be the tallest safety in the league.. Here's a little about him..

Robert Sands, S, West Virginia
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 217.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.62.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.53.
    Pro Day 40 Time: DNP.
    Benchx225: 12. Vertical: 35. Arm: 33 3/8.
    Projected Round (2011): 4-6.
    3/28/11: Robert Sands didn't run the 40 at his Pro Day. He worked out in the drills, where he looked stiff. Some observers even wondered if he'd have to play linebacker at the next level. Sands spoke with the Falcons and Vikings after the session.
    Last edited by Savage69; 03-17-2012 at 03:27 PM.

I agree with Landry over Nelson, but what makes Nelson more appealing to me is that hes actually healthy. Landry missed significant time the last 2 years and there is that thing where he wouldn't get surgery on his achilles or something.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    A 6'4 221 pound safety.. He has to be the tallest safety in the league.. Here's a little about him..

Robert Sands, S, West Virginia
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 217.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.62.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.53.
    Pro Day 40 Time: DNP.
    Benchx225: 12. Vertical: 35. Arm: 33 3/8.
    Projected Round (2011): 4-6.
    3/28/11: Robert Sands didn't run the 40 at his Pro Day. He worked out in the drills, where he looked stiff. Some observers even wondered if he'd have to play linebacker at the next level. Sands spoke with the Falcons and Vikings after the session.
    I didn't want him to play FS even thou he did some at WVU.The kid is huge and i saw him more in the role of a Rover at SS.The role the Jets keep asking Eric Smith to play.

I very much like the idea of LaRon Landry and Reggie Nelson together, they complement each other well, especially in Rex's defense. It'll also allow the Jets to pass on Mark Barron in the draft, who would've been a massive reach in the 16th slot in the first round.