Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Reggie Nelson

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    It is an important situation because if the Jets go into the draft with their current safety situation, chances increase greatly they take Barron at #16. And there's a concern that Barron isn't the answer in a weak draft for safeties. He may not be good enough to step into a starting role in the NFL.

If they sign Nelson, they can focus on RT and/or OLB which is another area of need and the FA market for a good RT will be expensive (Eric Winston being the only one that makes sense).
    O crap...Ok sign Nelson immediately then...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if barron isn't good enough to start they wouldn't take him. they could take a crappy safety in a later round then.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is an important situation because if the Jets go into the draft with their current safety situation, chances increase greatly they take Barron at #16. And there's a concern that Barron isn't the answer in a weak draft for safeties. He may not be good enough to step into a starting role in the NFL.

If they sign Nelson, they can focus on RT and/or OLB which is another area of need and the FA market for a good RT will be expensive (Eric Winston being the only one that makes sense).
    I think the consensus from all the draft guys is Barron can step in day 1 and play well. But I agree..If the Jets sign Nelson the need to get a "starter" for this season out of this years draft subsides

Big, rangy, long-levered, athletic, battle-tested strong safety who shouldered a heavy load for a national champion, displaying movement skills, tackling ability, instincts and playmaking skill. Can step into an NFL secondary from Day One and be a factor.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...mark-barron-4/

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if barron isn't good enough to start they wouldn't take him. they could take a crappy safety in a later round then.
    That's a concern among the so-called "experts." But we all know how solid our talent evaluation department is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Barron isn't good enough to start for the Jets, considering our safety situation, then Barron isn't good enough to get drafted by anyone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a concern among the so-called "experts." But we all know how solid our talent evaluation department is.
    if the choice is barron or olb, just take the olb and hopefully get a pass rush.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contrary to some of the opinions on this board, the Jets will do what they can to address the safety position at a price they can afford. If they feel this guy is going to help (and yes just about anyone can help our secondary) they will make an offer. There are other teams that are in the market for a safety who might have more $$ so it simply might come down to that. Let's also realize that if Nelson leaves Florham Park without a contract, there will most certainly be a plan B as well as a plan C....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I think the consensus from all the draft guys is Barron can step in day 1 and play well. But I agree..If the Jets sign Nelson the need to get a "starter" for this season out of this years draft subsides

Big, rangy, long-levered, athletic, battle-tested strong safety who shouldered a heavy load for a national champion, displaying movement skills, tackling ability, instincts and playmaking skill. Can step into an NFL secondary from Day One and be a factor.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...mark-barron-4/
    Further problem with Barron is that he had double hernia surgery in January and missed the combine and will probably miss his Pro Day. Hurts his draft day status. Hard to evaluate a guy who hasn't worked out.

He also carries with him concerns as to whether he can stay healthy. He was injured in 2010 and 2011.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    plan B as well as a plan C....
    can't wait!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    If Barron isn't good enough to start for the Jets, considering our safety situation, then Barron isn't good enough to get drafted by anyone.
    Sad, but true.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Further problem with Barron is that he had double hernia surgery in January and missed the combine and will probably miss his Pro Day. Hurts his draft day status. Hard to evaluate a guy who hasn't worked out.

He also carries with him concerns as to whether he can stay healthy. He was injured in 2010 and 2011.
    He's working out for teams at the end of March..To what degree and how well, we'll see

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the choice is barron or olb, just take the olb and hopefully get a pass rush.
    I guess we can always wait until cut down days in August for a safety.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    But when did it become rookies have to start day 1 otherwise they aren't worth drafting?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess we can always wait until cut down days in August for a safety.
    i was actually thinking that. they can probably get better safeties in august than they have on the roster now anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    But when did it become rookies have to start day 1 otherwise they aren't worth drafting?
    If he's not good enough to start for the Jets, meaning he can't beat out currently Eric Smith or Tracy Wilson...well yeah.

My comment was mostly said in jest, well mostly...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he's not good enough to start for the Jets, meaning he can't beat out currently Eric Smith or Tracy Wilson...well yeah.

My comment was mostly said in jest, well mostly...
    does anyone think tracy wilson is good enough to start?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    does anyone think tracy wilson is good enough to start?
    That would solve quite a few problems.

Alas, I haven't the foggiest idea. I'd lean towards no though.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's working out for teams at the end of March..To what degree and how well, we'll see
    Where did you read this? Last I read it was uncertain if he'd be able to work out for teams before the draft. He hadn't been cleared to start working out on his own.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you read this? Last I read it was uncertain if he'd be able to work out for teams before the draft. He hadn't been cleared to start working out on his own.
    I heard Mayock say it on NFL Network a week or two ago...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Len Pasquarelli of the Sports XChange reports that running back Trent Richardson (knee) and safety Mark Barron (double hernia surgery) will both skip the Alabama Crimson Tide’s Pro Day on Wednesday.
    Richardson’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, told Pasquarelli that Richardson should be recovered enough from his pre-Combine knee surgery to run for NFL evaluators in three weeks.
    When NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora originally broke the knee surgery news, he reported Richardson would participate in “all on-field testing” at the Pro Day. So either La Canfora was misinformed, or Richardson’s recovery is behind schedule.
    He started running full speed this week,” Sexton said. “He’s close to ready, but it’s not quite there yet. People should have plenty of time to see him and get a good read.”
    Like Richardson, Barron is the top-rated player at his position for the 2012 draft. He also missed the Combine.
    Barron is expected to work out in late March.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...abama-pro-day/