Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reggie Nelson

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Len Pasquarelli of the Sports XChange reports that running back Trent Richardson (knee) and safety Mark Barron (double hernia surgery) will both skip the Alabama Crimson Tide’s Pro Day on Wednesday.
    Richardson’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, told Pasquarelli that Richardson should be recovered enough from his pre-Combine knee surgery to run for NFL evaluators in three weeks.
    When NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora originally broke the knee surgery news, he reported Richardson would participate in “all on-field testing” at the Pro Day. So either La Canfora was misinformed, or Richardson’s recovery is behind schedule.
    He started running full speed this week,” Sexton said. “He’s close to ready, but it’s not quite there yet. People should have plenty of time to see him and get a good read.”
    Like Richardson, Barron is the top-rated player at his position for the 2012 draft. He also missed the Combine.
    Barron is expected to work out in late March.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...abama-pro-day/
    LOL @ La Canfora possibly misinformed.

I guess we'll see. He may be misinformed on Barron too.

As for #1 draft picks coming in and starting, I think it's fair to expect that these days from a player taken in the first half of the first round.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    LOL @ La Canfora possibly misinformed.

I guess we'll see. He may be misinformed on Barron too.

As for #1 draft picks coming in and starting, I think it's fair to expect that these days from a player taken in the first half of the first round.
    Then Mayock would be misinformed too....

A bigger and better crowd is expected on March 29, when Richardson, Barron and Upshaw are scheduled to perform along with some of the players who participated Wednesday.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...rch-29-workout
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-16-2012 at 10:52 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then Mayock would be misinformed too....
    Since they work for the same Network, maybe Mayock is basing his comments off of La Canfora?

In any event, I'd be very disappointed if the Jets drafted Barron #1..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I seriously hope we sign this guy. Then we can focus on BAP available in the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏ @TheJetsStream
    LaRon Landry will be visiting Jets this weekend, per source.

LaRon Landry will be making four visits, per source. He's a realistic option for Jets.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Since they work for the same Network, maybe Mayock is basing his comments off of La Canfora?

In any event, I'd be very disappointed if the Jets drafted Barron #1..
    Even if they traded down? At 16, I'd be less than wowed (although I can't say it would rise to disappointed). At 22 with an additional top 100 pick, I'd be happy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

LaRon Landry will be making four visits, per source. He's a realistic option for Jets.
    That would be lethal combo back there (landry ss, nelson fs). Landry was an absolute beast when he played ss while sean taylor (rip) was the free safety. I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Even if they traded down? At 16, I'd be less than wowed (although I can't say it would rise to disappointed). At 22 with an additional top 100 pick, I'd be happy.
    I'm not a big fan of Barron or drafting a safety in the first round (unless he's a consensus can't miss kind of guy). I don't think Barron is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a big fan of Barron or drafting a safety in the first round (unless he's a consensus can't miss kind of guy). I don't think Barron is.
    Barron is the real deal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Barron is the real deal.
    even if barron is good, i would rather have floyd or a pass rusher. those guys would help win more games than a decent safety.

the jets had/have the worst, slowest safeties in the nfl. that produced some mismatches, blown coverages, and lost footraces that lost some games. but that doesn't mean you HAVE to spend a #1 pick on one. you don't need to go from the worst safeties to the best safeties. if the jets had even average safeties the secondary would improve a lot. there wouldn't be such blatant speed concerns that could be exploited as easily, which would allow a better pass rush to impact the game.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to say we inquired about Landry 2 years ago, but the trade cost was too high. He is clearly someone our FO has had interest in for some time. With his injury history, it may work out even better, b/c an incentive type deal is well worth the risk. Especially since the SS position is something easier to patch if he did get hurt again.

I thought Nelson would price himself out of our range, but the fact that he is in for a meeting shows just how bad our Safety group is...and that the FO understands that.

It wouldn't be surprising if we sign both and still took 1-2 safeties in this draft, much like in 04' (Coleman/Washington). Although neither was great, 1 was decent enough to start and the other had ST value.

I also think Eric Smith and Westoff are in an 'open relationship' with each other...and Smith serving in a reserve/ST's role will give them more time to be together on the sidelines.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Barron is the real deal.
    I like Barron, but I don't ever see him growing into an elite safety like Polamalu or Reed, nor do I see him in the class right below those guys (Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Nick Collins, etc).

I don't think you draft a safety that high in Round 1 unless you believe he's going to be a total stud.

I see Barron being a solid starting safety for a number of years, but I don't see anything special.

I'd rather sign Nelson and Landry and fill other needs through the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I like Barron, but I don't ever see him growing into an elite safety like Polamalu or Reed, nor do I see him in the class right below those guys (Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Nick Collins, etc).

I don't think you draft a safety that high in Round 1 unless you believe he's going to be a total stud.

I see Barron being a solid starting safety for a number of years, but I don't see anything special.

I agree. I would hate to draft Barron in the first round because of a huge need. The much better value would be a Floyd at that pick. I wouldnt mind signing both Landry and Nelson, but I dont think there is nearly enough money to do so. Although the Jets could still cut Smith and save 2 million right there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree. I would hate to draft Barron in the first round because of a huge need. The much better value would be a Floyd at that pick. I wouldnt mind signing both Landry and Nelson, but I dont think there is nearly enough money to do so. Although the Jets could still cut Smith and save 2 million right there.
    Bingo!

But I'm worried about this "open relationship" rumor.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    even if barron is good, i would rather have floyd or a pass rusher. those guys would help win more games than a decent safety.

the jets had/have the worst, slowest safeties in the nfl. that produced some mismatches, blown coverages, and lost footraces that lost some games. but that doesn't mean you HAVE to spend a #1 pick on one. you don't need to go from the worst safeties to the best safeties. if the jets had even average safeties the secondary would improve a lot. there wouldn't be such blatant speed concerns that could be exploited as easily, which would allow a better pass rush to impact the game.
    +1

Or, a RT, DE, DT, RB.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

I do.

It's unrealistic to expect him to become a hall of famer at this point like Reed and Polamalu, but he's a very good prospect and I think he will be a top 5 guy at his position within a couple of years.

I prefer Floyd, but there is a possibility that Barron is the BPA at 16 depending on how the board falls. If that's the case, he should be the pick.

And there is no way the Jets sign Nelson and Landry. Do you honestly think both guys are coming here? I'd be fairly surprised if they sign even one of them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah a realistic option to be out indefinitely by week 4.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign Nelson, draft Martin or Harrison Smith in 2nd or 3rd rd. Safety situation fixed. No need to give an awful contract to an injury prone player just b/c he's a big name or waste a 1st rd pick on a Safety.

We already know Nelson is good. We'll have to overpay but such is life. Even if Martin or Harrison Smith are JAG's they'd still be significant upgrades over E Smith and Leonhard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign both Nelson and Landry, and draft Ingram. Our D will be stacked.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm turning into George Iloka's agent. But seriously: big-bodied safety without elite speed, but coverage skills and experience playing as (a plus) cornerback at Boise State. Sturdy floor, high ceiling.