Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reggie Nelson

Reggie Nelson

didnt see a thread about this yet but hes visiting the jets tomorrow.. he seems like the perfect fit for our defense

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DRevis24 View Post
    didnt see a thread about this yet but hes visiting the jets tomorrow.. he seems like the perfect fit for our defense
    Interesting. Have not heard much about him around here yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I'm glad you saw it before the Jets Org.

Basically a must-sign

I am not a sky-is-falling Jets fan and have understood the FO's lack of action in FA to be a function both of prudence and of financial reality. But I think losing Pool means we pretty much have to sign Reggie Nelson (who should be an upgrade anyway) and then bring in Leonhard at vet minimum and draft a guy like Iloka in the third or Antonio Allen in the 4th. A safety rotation of Nelson, Leonhard, Iloka, and Smith is one we can live with.

Jets Insider VIP
    Reggie Nelson to visit the Jets Friday
    Posted by Evan Silva on March 15, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT

APFree agent safety Reggie Nelson will visit the Jets on Friday, according to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The Jets appear to be hunting for an upgrade on Jim Leonhard, who is also unsigned and tore his right patella tendon last December. Itís a significant injury.

Nelson is entering his age-29 season. He is the No. 49 overall player on the PFT Hot 100.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    I am not a sky-is-falling Jets fan and have understood the FO's lack of action in FA to be a function both of prudence and of financial reality. But I think losing Pool means we pretty much have to sign Reggie Nelson (who should be an upgrade anyway) and then bring in Leonhard at vet minimum and draft a guy like Iloka in the third or Antonio Allen in the 4th. A safety rotation of Nelson, Leonhard, Iloka, and Smith is one we can live with.
    You ar eforgetting about TRACY WILSON. That guy can play a bit too! I expect him to do well in our system.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Lol

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL.

A smurf

Nelson is another 5'11" smurf who I can't see covering Gronkowski. Need a guy who goes 6'2 or3" where speed is not as essential as size. Otherwise the bigger TE in the league will crush the smurf and just go the needed ydage and turnaround. Would treat Nelson as a back up as he doesn't improve the position to where you need it.

All League
    Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu, also smurfs. And Jairus Byrd and Eric Weddle. The best safeties in the league are almost all under 6 feet.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    Nelson is another 5'11" smurf who I can't see covering Gronkowski. Need a guy who goes 6'2 or3" where speed is not as essential as size. Otherwise the bigger TE in the league will crush the smurf and just go the needed ydage and turnaround. Would treat Nelson as a back up as he doesn't improve the position to where you need it.
    Your right there are 6'3" safeties who can run and cover growing on trees. Not sure why every team doesnt have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    You ar eforgetting about TRACY WILSON. That guy can play a bit too! I expect him to do well in our system.
    the UDFA from northern illinois?

Except they don't play NE 2x a year

Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu, also smurfs. And Jairus Byrd and Eric Weddle. The best safeties in the league are almost all under 6 feet.
    Last I checked Reed and Polu are from a "different era" and they didn't content with big fast te's . Not saying they aren't great but start looking ahead instead of behind.

There aren't many

Your right there are 6'3" safeties who can run and cover growing on trees. Not sure why every team doesnt have one.
    But you need at least one in our division. The league is moving toward bigger secondary guys and away from the speedy smurfs. There are more big wr and te's now than in the past.

im more concerned about stopping the big play down the middle than shutting down Gronk (not gonna happen)
    Nelson is a great ballhawking centerfielder type safety that is a perfect fit here

Jets Insider VIP
    I think Reggie Jackson is a little old and slow to be brought in....although we do have Bart Scott.

Darrelle Revis is 5'11", there's no way that guy is going to be able to cover those 6'4" Wide Recievers.

Learn some football please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Darrelle Revis is 5'11", there's no way that guy is going to be able to cover those 6'4" Wide Recievers.
    CB have an advantage in pressing wr up against the sideline Safety is in the middle of the field (two way routes) and has to play the run more. Even Reavis has trouble playing big slot guys and doesn't stuff the run, NEXT!

Last I checked Reed and Polu are from a "different era" and they didn't content with big fast te's . Not saying they aren't great but start looking ahead instead of behind.
    tight ends weren't big???? you make no sense...they contended with tall wr's as well it's one in the same...coverage ability is not predicated on height...never was and never will be.

Hall Of Fame
    CB have an advantage in pressing wr up against the sideline Safety is in the middle of the field (two way routes) and has to play the run more. Even Reavis has trouble playing big slot guys and doesn't stuff the run, NEXT!
    Ahh yes, the valuable run stuffing CB.