Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Reggie Nelson

Jets Insider VIP
    Nelson is a must sign IMO. Dont let the guy leave the facility without a contract.

I heard on Sirius NFL Radio that Cincy has over $35M in cap room..So if they want Nelson back the Jets are in major trouble..

Secondary: The biggest need position of all due to uncertainty with three key free agents — cornerbacks Kelly Jennings and Adam Jones and safety Reggie Nelson. They need some experienced backups at both spots. One darkhorse to keep an eye on — former UC standout Haruki Nakamura who brings value at safety and on special teams. New Bengals secondary coach Mark Carrier knows him well from Nakamura’s first two seasons in Baltimore.

Priority unrestricted free agents to re-sign: S Reggie Nelson, DE Frostee Rucker, DE Jonathan Fanene.

F I WAS GM, MY SHOPPING LIST WOULD BE … Let me preface this by saying that Mike Brown has said to me a couple times over the years on offseason plans, “you have your ideas and we have ours.”

Re-sign Reggie Nelson — If you don’t, you may have to greatly overpay for a veteran.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/...-manager-time/

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I heard on Sirius NFL Radio that Cincy has over $35M in cap room..So if they want Nelson back the Jets are in major trouble..
    It's a good thing Mike Brown is notoriously cheap then......they never spend up to the cap.

Late on Sunday afternoon, Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer reported that the Bengals were expected to talk with Reggie Nelson about a deal on Monday, before the beginning of free agency on Tuesday.

However, it seems that talks did not result in a deal as his agent has confirmed that Nelson will hit the free-agent market at 4 p.m. on Tuesday to explore all options whilst continuing talks with the Bengals.

With Nelson becoming one of the more reliable facets of a banged up and rickety secondary in 2011, the Bengals are in real need of his services this coming year.

With the widely criticised departure of Johnathan Joseph still fresh in the memory of Marvin Lewis, there is sure to be a greater push to retain Nelson than Cincy attempted last year with the former.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...it-free-agency

Joe Reedy ‏ @joereedy
    Reggie Nelson's agent: “Reggie will become a free agent. We will continue to have discussions with Bengals but will explore all options.”

I think it will be very difficult to get Nelson signed. Even though I agree with some of you guys that it's a necessity I think he is really trying to drive his price up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    It's a good thing Mike Brown is notoriously cheap then......they never spend up to the cap.
    Yep, there is a reason they are that far under the cap. They just let Fanene go to the Pats without a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    Scary isn't it!!! You watch, not only will be looking for cover Safeties, but will draft a few TE's to copy cat patriots..

Want to Stop Gronkowski??? very simple.... find a pass rush that knocks Brady senseless (minus the bounty).
    Don't sound too simple to me

That is nonsense talking about height, Kerry Rhodes was one of the rare safeties that was 6'3. Most are probably 5'11. Nelson would upgrade the ballhawking presence and has range, we need to upgrade the pass rush though, that is the best way to stop the Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by 51JetsFanInPA View Post
    YES! We can't let him get away. I can't watch Eric Smith chasing people anymore.
    It is rumored that even Eric Smith plays better angles,This guy was a first rd pick for Jacksonville and was run out of town,had a good year with Coyle,(who is now in Miami who needs a safety).Yet gets no call from Miami and the Bengals are not too interested,I say advance with caution...
    Last edited by auctionking; 03-15-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    i believe there is a clause that now requires teams to spend a certain percentage of the allotted cap.

not sure if they are close to that or if they will NEED to spend.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Gotta disagree with you...leonhard is a surf....5'11 is no smurf and Nelson has some nice leaping ability.....kid would be a great fit in our secondary.....also check the height on Polamulu and ed reed....and remember that dude back in the day...chuck cecil.

Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    Nelson is another 5'11" smurf who I can't see covering Gronkowski. Need a guy who goes 6'2 or3" where speed is not as essential as size. Otherwise the bigger TE in the league will crush the smurf and just go the needed ydage and turnaround. Would treat Nelson as a back up as he doesn't improve the position to where you need it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DRevis24 View Post
    didnt see a thread about this yet but hes visiting the jets tomorrow.. he seems like the perfect fit for our defense
    I am trying to say something but nothing seems to come out. I am out of this one bye!

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    are you for real? aside for a bad 8-8 season Rex 11 and 13 games in 2009 and 2010 (including playoffs)......how bad did we miss those guys???? and they sure as heck did not have a huge impact on their respective new teams.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You do make a good point. When I saw someone refer to Nelson as a "ball hawking" safety, I immediately thought of Rhodes. No doubt the talent level has diminished since Rex got here. Its a very valid point.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    i believe there is a clause that now requires teams to spend a certain percentage of the allotted cap.

not sure if they are close to that or if they will NEED to spend.
    And guess which owner fought that clause int he new CBA until the bitter end?

There are stories of the Bengals players having to share cups and mouth guards because Mike Brown didn't want to buy new ones for the rookies

Nelson is considered to be the team’s top option to re-sign after he led the Bengals in interceptions last year with four. After being acquired in a trade from Jacksonville during the final round of roster cuts in 2010, Nelson has flourished in Mike Zimmer’s scheme and had his most consistent season as a pro. Besides the interceptions, Nelson also had two sacks and two forced fumbles.

After Washington’s LaRon Landry, Nelson is ranked by many to be the best available free agent in a market that was weakened with three of the top four overall safeties getting the franchise tag.

With a secondary that has three free agents who played significant roles last year and with cornerback Leon Hall working his way back from an Achilles injury, most would consider that area of the defense to be a concern, but head coach Marvin Lewis talked about some of the young safeties who could have a role if Nelson departed.

“We would like to have Reggie back but we’ll see. We’re prepared to go either way,” Lewis said during the NFL Scouting Combine last month. “We had a taste of Taylor Mays and we were impressed with what we saw. We drafted Robert Sands and Jeromy Miles got a chance of having a little bit of a role. We feel pretty good about where we are.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120312/SPT02/303120164/Three-Bengals-test-market?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals

All League
    Sounds like Cincy won't try too hard to keep him. Hopefully we can sign him today so everybody can calm down a bit.

Funny that I never heard f this guy, and now our whole offseason rides on signing him.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Funny that I never heard f this guy, and now our whole offseason rides on signing him.
    a bit of an overstatement, I think, 99.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    are you for real? aside for a bad 8-8 season Rex 11 and 13 games in 2009 and 2010 (including playoffs)......how bad did we miss those guys???? and they sure as heck did not have a huge impact on their respective new teams.
    Just because they lot of games doesn't mean the Jets missed having a good safety. Same with true pass-rushing lineman.

Frankly, considering the Jets DBs, there's little excuse for no one having 10+ sacks on the Jets in 3 seasons under Rex Ryan. I can't count the number of times the QB looked for 5+ seconds to throw the ball against the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    a bit of an overstatement, I think, 99.
    It is an important situation because if the Jets go into the draft with their current safety situation, chances increase greatly they take Barron at #16. And there's a concern that Barron isn't the answer in a weak draft for safeties. He may not be good enough to step into a starting role in the NFL.

If they sign Nelson, they can focus on RT and/or OLB which is another area of need and the FA market for a good RT will be expensive (Eric Winston being the only one that makes sense).