Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Reggie Nelson

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    Nelson is another 5'11" smurf who I can't see covering Gronkowski. Need a guy who goes 6'2 or3" where speed is not as essential as size. Otherwise the bigger TE in the league will crush the smurf and just go the needed ydage and turnaround. Would treat Nelson as a back up as he doesn't improve the position to where you need it.
    Height is a little over-rated - espc. against TE. Plenty of sub 6' guys with a vertical jump that puts them at the same height as a TE.

Gronk's vertical [6'6''] : 33 inches
    Revis's vertical [5' 11"] : 38 inches
    A Hernandez [ 6' 3"] Vertical:33 inches
    Cromartie [ 6' 2''] vertical - 38 at combine - 42 on pro day

Yes - even our own lowly Eric Smith had a 40" vertical at the combine. Which at 6'1" gives him a [theoretical ] advantage over both Pats TE's, for example.

Now my point isn't that Eric Smith is going to the Pro Bowl - just that there are many more important factors than height in determining who can cover who and when.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Height is a little over-rated - espc. against TE. Plenty of sub 6' guys with a vertical jump that puts them at the same height as a TE.

Gronk's vertical [6'6''] : 33 inches
    Revis's vertical [5' 11"] : 38 inches
    A Hernandez [ 6' 3"] Vertical:33 inches
    Cromartie [ 6' 2''] vertical - 38 at combine - 42 on pro day

Yes - even our own lowly Eric Smith had a 40" vertical at the combine. Which at 6'1" gives him a [theoretical ] advantage over both Pats TE's, for example.

Now my point isn't that Eric Smith is going to the Pro Bowl - just that there are many more important factors than height in determining who can cover who and when.
    then you also have to factor in arm length
    gronk and graham are great examples
    tall and can leap with great reach

you factor that in, they beat most safeties

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Darrelle Revis is 5'11", there's no way that guy is going to be able to cover those 6'4" Wide Recievers.

Yeah I forgot every guy under 6' plays at the same level as Revis or Ed Reed....

Revis is the best corner in the league that is why at 5'11 he can cover anyone.

Wow, sound logic is in short supply these days.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Nelson would be a solid addition to the secondary, definitely in favor of getting him.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Darrelle Revis is 5'11", there's no way that guy is going to be able to cover those 6'4" Wide Recievers.
    +1

That has to be one of the best analogies given for a response post yet. Kudos Ven0m

Jets Insider VIP
    This team is in dire need of safety help and people are complaining about height and defending Gronkowski?

I must have missed the new schedule. Do we play the pats 16 times per year?

All Pro
    He would be a great addition. He can cover deep down the field and allow the other guy to be a true in the box safety. Even though I cringe thinking about it, I would actually be ok with Eric Smith in that role if I really have to see him start again...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Your right there are 6'3" safeties who can run and cover growing on trees. Not sure why every team doesnt have one.
    Well we had one. It seems that almost every player we got rid of since Rex got here we are trying to bring back or still replace. Braylon, Cotch, Lowery, Rhodes, Feely and more. Were these all mistakes? Sure seems like it.

YES! We can't let him get away. I can't watch Eric Smith chasing people anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrad01 View Post
    Well we had one. It seems that almost every player we got rid of since Rex got here we are trying to bring back or still replace. Braylon, Cotch, Lowery, Rhodes, Feely and more. Were these all mistakes? Sure seems like it.
    You do make a good point. When I saw someone refer to Nelson as a "ball hawking" safety, I immediately thought of Rhodes. No doubt the talent level has diminished since Rex got here. Its a very valid point.

Eric Smith having a 40" vertical is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    This team is in dire need of safety help and people are complaining about height and defending Gronkowski?

I must have missed the new schedule. Do we play the pats 16 times per year?

Scary isn't it!!! You watch, not only will be looking for cover Safeties, but will draft a few TE's to copy cat patriots..

Want to Stop Gronkowski??? very simple.... find a pass rush that knocks Brady senseless (minus the bounty).

No one is going to matchup well with Gronkowski, however a guy might be able to tackle him or other players if they have a touch of speed. I also want to see a safety that can make other teams pay when we pressure the QB.

Braylon had off the field issues (and couldn't get on the field in SF), Cotch didn't want to be here, Rhodes was horrible in this D, and Folk has made more big kicks than Feely (Feely missed 2 big ones vs. Indy in championship game) plus he talks too much for a kicker.

Rhodes is a horrible football player. I don't care what anyone says. I'd rather have Erik McMillan back there at age 50.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    He would be a great addition. He can cover deep down the field and allow the other guy to be a true in the box safety. Even though I cringe thinking about it, I would actually be ok with Eric Smith in that role if I really have to see him start again...
    I agree. Adding Nelson at FS would allow Smith to play as an in the box SS, a role he is well suited for.

By contrast, adding Landry at SS and trying to keep Smith at FS would be fugly.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Braylon had off the field issues (and couldn't get on the field in SF), Cotch didn't want to be here, Rhodes was horrible in this D, and Folk has made more big kicks than Feely (Feely missed 2 big ones vs. Indy in championship game) plus he talks too much for a kicker.
    Fi
    Rhodes is a horrible football player. I don't care what anyone says. I'd rather have Erik McMillan back there at age 50.
    Braylon played great when he was here and now there are reports they want him back. cotch didnt want to be the 4th receiver and now they wont him back.
    Rhodes was great in coverage and now we are looking for a s who can cover.

Folk has missed kicks Feely makes in his sleep and thats just some of the players who were mistakes.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    Last I checked Reed and Polu are from a "different era" and they didn't content with big fast te's . Not saying they aren't great but start looking ahead instead of behind.
    Yeah, and Darrell Revis is too short to cover those tall WR's. This is just dumb frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post

Yeah I forgot every guy under 6' plays at the same level as Revis or Ed Reed....

Revis is the best corner in the league that is why at 5'11 he can cover anyone.

Wow, sound logic is in short supply these days.
    You're missing the point.

The point is being a good player in coverage has very little to do with height. My post was simply using sarcasm to point out the flaws in that logic. In fact, in many cases the smaller guys are at an advantage because they often have better hips and change of direction abilities then their larger counterparts.

Does that mean that Nelson can cover Gronk? I'm not really convinced anybody can cover Gronk. But he can sure as hell do a better job then we did last year. And among the FA and draft potential targets, he's probably the best option out there for us.

So it seems like Nelson and Landry could be a beastly combo.

The issues isn't so much the players let go, it's the lack of replacing the more notable of those players. We tried to replace Rhodes with a bench warmer in Smith and a scrap heap FA in Pool. It was never bound to end well.

Plax to his credit I thought played pretty well for us, but it was always a stop-gap solution because of his age. One where replacing him became all the more imperative when our chemistry issues came to light.

The other guys I don't think we've missed much on the field at all. Kerley is a nice young talent playing J-Co's old role. Lowery and Feely? I don't want them back.