Thread: Healthcare Costs, Take Up Your Entire Check?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Healthcare Costs, Take Up Your Entire Check?

[QUOTE]What does it mean if paying for health care will soon take your entire paycheck?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Taking care of yourself is rapidly becoming an economic issue of staggering proportions. In fact, you may want to grab a salad on the way home and get right on the treadmill when you get there. The day is coming in less than 20 years when health care costs may consume your entire paycheck.

In other words, illness will one day soon simply be unaffordable.

A new report by the Annals of Family Medicine suggests that less than 20 years from now, the average American family's medical costs will surpass their entire income.

It's no secret that health care costs have been growing faster than just about everything else in this country for decades.

And while that trend has slowed somewhat recently, the authors of this study say medical costs are still going up.

In 2009 and 2010, total spending on health care grew at a slower rate than any time on record. But it still grew, and it's going to keep on growing.

It's estimated that premiums for family health insurance plans rose 9% during that same time.

Then of course there's so-called Obamacare.

Critics say the president's controversial health care reform plan will only make matters worse.

The doctors who put this paper together say Obamacare is a "great first step, but it's not enough to get us where we need to go."
    [/QUOTE]

Fact or total fear-mongering hyperbole?

Lets look at today, what % of your paycheck are you CURRENTLY paying towards your health insurance?

How close to 100% are you today?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4398731]Fact or total fear-mongering hyperbole?

Lets look at today, what % of your paycheck are you CURRENTLY paying towards your health insurance?

How close to 100% are you today?[/QUOTE]

Total fear mongering hyperbole. Healthcare is not immune to the laws of supply and demand - and if it ends up being priced, [I][B]on average[/B][/I], at 100% of income . . . people will simply go without healthcare. Healthcare is useless if you can't afford food, clothing, and shelter, let alone the other things that make life worth living.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    HC, Dental and Vision is just above 8 % of my gross pay...

Not horrible but has risen every single year I was single and obviously for 'life changing' when I was married (which is TBE)...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    HDHP, Vision, and Dental amount to less than 1% of gross.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    went down over the last few years, about 1%-3%.

but I don't know if I am a good barometer, my company is a monster

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to know the names o:)f the doctors involved in this study. So I can not go to them.

Idiotic "study"

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This doesn't apply to men in the 40's who are RIPPED!!!!! :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."

-- James Madison, the father of the United States Constitution