Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Advice for a Salesman: Lease or Buy

All League

Car Advice for a Salesman: Lease or Buy

Here is the deal:

I have a Certified Pre Owned 2008 Audi A4 with a 100k mile warranty which is in sweet condition (because I take care of the thing) which I purchased in August 2010 when I left my job, and company car, in big pharma for a gig in medical device sales. Purchased the car with close to 12,000 miles on it...fast forward 18 months to today, I am now at close to 57,000 miles (I am doing about 30,000 miles a year) and I am trying to figure out what to do because the car is depreciating faster than I can pay it off...a big problem, I know...

So I have been shopping around looking at potentially getting: a. A newer CPO Audi A4 with low mileage, essentially putting myself in the same hole but delaying the inevitable, b. leasing a car??? Something I would never thought I would do with the job I have and the mileage I put on a car but the more and more this A4 depreciates, the more I see the upside to leasing a car with a high mileage allowance...

Anyone have any experience with this? Any other fellow traveling salesman who do a lot of mileage and have a good formula set up for maximum value?

The old thought process was a salesman should never lease a car because of the mileage he puts on it, but the way this things has depreciated over the past 18 months because of the mileage I put on it, I am really putting myself in a hole...

It went so far as sitting down with my Audi salesman last night for 2 hours and his manager talking in circles about: purchase vs. lease and the cost of each and ultimately having them tell me NOT to buy an Audi of any sort simply because of the negative equity I am currently carrying on my car right now--they, along with others, are trying to convince me to trade in my A4 for something cheaper (Honda, Nissan, Toyota etc) so I could clear myself of the negative equity in my A4 and have a cheap payment for a couple years until I stop putting so much damn mileage on my car...it was odd to have my Audi guy try to NOT sell me an Audi and talk real with me...

Any advice would be phenomenal.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SouthTown; 03-16-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Don't ever trade your Audi for a piece of garbage they are offering you. The appreciation value of those vehicles will drop at a faster rate than your Audi. Just don't do it!

Keep your car and continue to take care of it!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

If you get another Audi A4 do yourself a favor and ask about oil consumption. I just had a big engine job done, there is a problem that Audi is being very quiet about because of the cost involved in the fix.

What about a high mileage two-year lease? That might solve your problem as you would get a higher mileage allowance however be out of the car before it is worthless to someone else.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4399182]If you get another Audi A4 do yourself a favor and ask about oil consumption. I just had a big engine job done, there is a problem that Audi is being very quiet about because of the cost involved in the fix.

What about a high mileage two-year lease? That might solve your problem as you would get a higher mileage allowance however be out of the car before it is worthless to someone else.[/QUOTE]

I considered it but I think with the numbers we ran that would cost me something like 700+ bucks a month (with the mileage allowance AND the negative equity they would eat with my current car, BMW quoted something like 750 a month) whereas my current payment is about 515 a month and pretty manageable at this point. 700 dollars just simply isn't feasible for me at this point in the game.

Anyone lease anything else that is more economical but still a solid ride?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SouthTown;4399187]I considered it but I think with the numbers we ran that would cost me something like 700+ bucks a month (with the mileage allowance AND the negative equity they would eat with my current car, BMW quoted something like 750 a month) whereas my current payment is about 515 a month and pretty manageable at this point. 700 dollars just simply isn't feasible for me at this point in the game.

Anyone lease anything else that is more economical but still a solid ride?[/QUOTE]

If you get out of the luxury car market you will save yourself a ton of money I would imagine. I guess you are look at all wheel drive otherwise consider a Hundai Genesis, a car that a friend of mine in the car businees raves about, or maybe a Buick Regal which is a pretty nice new design and has all wheel drive.

Bewildered Beast
    Hyundai? Man?

[I]Man?[/I]

Sincerely,

J. Bridges

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4399203]Hyundai? Man?

[I]Man?[/I]

Sincerely,

J. Bridges[/QUOTE]
    [IMG]http://image.automobilemag.com/f/auto_shows/chicago/2011/1102_2011_hyundai_genesis_sedan/36011334+w440/2012-hyundai-genesis-front-three-quarter.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://genesis-coupe.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Your main issue is the 30K you put on your car every year. Your cars are always going to depreciate faster than the average driver's. Also I wouldn't worry myself about being upside down on the car loan b.c you are always going to be upside down b.c of your driving habits. Sucks but that is the way it is.

If the lease is too much then you might as well ride it out with the car you already have.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-16-2012 at 09:12 AM.

All League
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4399214]Your main issue is the 30K you put on your car every year. Your cars are always going to depreciate faster than the average driver's. Also I wouldn't worry myself about being upside down on the car loan b.c you are always going to be upside down b.c of your driving habits. Sucks but that is the way it is.

I think a 2yr high mileage lease might be your best option.[/QUOTE]

Good advice, thank you.

Which car to lease is the issue...the ones I am interested in all put me in the $700+ range which is a stretch for me, so that is the dilemma here.

The advice I got from here when I was looking for a car, was finance.

I financed a loan for 1.9% for my 2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn.

So glad I listened to a few posters here. :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;4399228]The advice I got from here when I was looking for a car, was finance.

I financed a loan for 1.9% for my 2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn.

So glad I listened to a few posters here. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Of course man, but how many miles do you put on the car a year?

Also, VW is going to be in the hopper here for cars I am looking at, are you satisfied with the VW? Service? Warranty? Handling of the car?

I want to take a look at the VW CC potentially.

[QUOTE=SouthTown;4399218]Good advice, thank you.

Which car to lease is the issue...[B]the ones I am interested [/B]in all put me in the $700+ range which is a stretch for me, so that is the dilemma here.[/QUOTE]

You can't always get what you want. I heard that somewhere before.

All League
    [QUOTE=TKasper01;4399233]You can't always get what you want. I heard that somewhere before.[/QUOTE]

Surely I can.

But that's just going to be a terrible financial decision with the mileage I do in a year, it's a ****ing pain in the balls.:yes:

High mileage 2 year leases. Look for Volvo or BMW that have everything included including warranty for the whole life of the lease.

Remember you will no longer have to pay for things like brakes, tires oil changes and services.

And you wont have to worry about how much money you will loose when selling the car.

I bet if you add up all the maintence and wear items on a car that you have after year 2. When generally you have to get all the big things like tires and brakes. The numbers will be closer than you think and may even surprise you.

Also if you can start or have a business of any sort. Well that just brings leasing to a whole different level of added benefits.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

All League
    Anyone have any experience with either the VW CC or the small SUV?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have a 2007 CPO BMW 3 series that I bought in May 2010. Got it with 35,000 miles, have 77,000 miles on it now. At my current job I drive 100 miles/day. The warranty is great on a BMW, everything and anything is covered, but I'm quickly running out of miles on it.

A lease would be impossible for me because I drive so much. Like you, right now I'm just delaying the inevitable.

Also, I would steer clear of VW. In college I had a VW Passat and while it was very comfortable and nicely appointed, it was one of the worst cars I've ever had from a quality control perspective. Tons of crap on it broke, and VW service was expensive and horrible. I like a few of their cars, but I could never bring myself to own another one.

All League
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4399247]I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have a 2007 CPO BMW 3 series that I bought in May 2010. Got it with 35,000 miles, have 77,000 miles on it now. At my current job I drive 100 miles/day. The warranty is great on a BMW, everything and anything is covered, but I'm quickly running out of miles on it.

A lease would be impossible for me because I drive so much. Like you, right now I'm just delaying the inevitable.

Also, I would steer clear of VW. In college I had a VW Passat and while it was very comfortable and nicely appointed, it was one of the worst cars I've ever had from a quality control perspective. Tons of crap on it broke, and VW service was expensive and horrible. I like a few of their cars, but I could never bring myself to own another one.[/QUOTE]

Perfect.

So what is your plan of attack? Glad to hear I am not the only one. Get another BMW? I talked to the guys at BMW and they weren't able to come into my ballpark either.

Let me know, I'd love to hear...us crazy bastards who drive this much and want to drive a decent car are a rare breed (or at least in the circles I run in...all my friends drive nice cars but commute into the city and their cars sit in the garage Mon-Fri)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SouthTown;4399258]Perfect.

So what is your plan of attack? Glad to hear I am not the only one. Get another BMW? I talked to the guys at BMW and they weren't able to come into my ballpark either.

Let me know, I'd love to hear...us crazy bastards who drive this much and want to drive a decent car are a rare breed (or at least in the circles I run in...all my friends drive nice cars but commute into the city and their cars sit in the garage Mon-Fri)[/QUOTE]

I know, I want to be able to drive a nice, solid car that can also take the abuse of a long commute. I have to say, my BMW has been great (knock on wood). A 3 series with a nonturbo engine and manual transmission is about as bullet proof as you can get as long you keep up regular maintenance. I might look into a high mileage lease, but I don't think I'll be able to get one on the terms I want.

Another problem is gas consumption. I get about 25 miles/gallon and I always use high octane gas. I'd love to save money that way too.

To be honest, right now I'm holding out for the 2013 Ford Fusion. Totally redesigned, the front end looks like a ****ing Aston Martin. I want to ride it out with my car for another year, year and a half and then see where I stand.

All League
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4399265]I know, I want to be able to drive a nice, solid car that can also take the abuse of a long commute. I have to say, my BMW has been great (knock on wood). A 3 series with a nonturbo engine and manual transmission is about as bullet proof as you can get as long you keep up regular maintenance. I might look into a high mileage lease, but I don't think I'll be able to get one on the terms I want.

Another problem is gas consumption. I get about 25 miles/gallon and I always use high octane gas. I'd love to save money that way too.

To be honest, right now I'm holding out for the 2013 Ford Fusion. Totally redesigned, the front end looks like a ****ing Aston Martin. I want to ride it out with my car for another year, year and a half and then see where I stand.[/QUOTE]

I got you man, not a bad idea. I have to look into some BMWs but with my trade-in value, the only guys who are really going to "help me out" are those I have dealt with in the past at Audi...it's a real **** job, I got nowhere to turn

Hall Of Fame
    Plasma.

_