Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever picked a fight with the Catholic Church and won?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;4403582]what the hell is a moonbat?[/QUOTE]

JetMoses aka Frequent Flyers favorite term. You'll have to wait for him to get off his shift on the backgate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4403644]JetMoses aka Frequent Flyers favorite term. You'll have to wait for him to get off his shift on the backgate.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering who FF was, forgot about JetMoses.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=adb280z;4403689]I was wondering who FF was, forgot about JetMoses.[/QUOTE]

One and the same.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4402864]I didn't miss them, just find them to be largely irrelevant to the overall situation. [/QUOTE]

Of course you do, it doesn't fit your narrative.

[QUOTE=parafly;4402864] Walesa was a humble man and was politically savvy enough to understand that the nation he led was almost entirely made up of devout Catholics.[/QUOTE]

I see. He was just patronizing the Pope. Saying it to be nice. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=parafly;4402864]
    I am of Polish decent, and I have family and friends who sacrificed blood, sweat, and tears in the Solidarity movement to bring down communism.[/QUOTE]

So what? I'm Polish too. I have countless relatives and ancestors murdered by communists.

Why are you doing nothing to stop communism here?

[QUOTE=parafly;4402864] Please do not insult their actions and memories by giving sole credit to a Pope who visited the country ten years beforehand.[/QUOTE]

I didn't, Lech Walesa did.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4403444]A successful secession is a win for the rebel, correct?

And look at geopolitics from the protestant reformation on. A series of resounding defeats for the French and Spanish, coupled with a the great rise of Great Britain, the Netherlands and Prussia.

Protestants have been kicking Catholic ass since their inception.[/QUOTE]

Nice try but no: they tried to change the Church, and when they failed, started their own.

And tying religion to geopolitics the way you did is ridiculous. How would you explain Napoleanic France, and Russia? :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4404005]Nice try but no: they tried to change the Church, and when they failed, started their own.

And tying religion to geopolitics the way you did is ridiculous. How would you explain Napoleanic France, and Russia? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The previous people who tried to reform the church or start their own ended up on a pike in the middle of town burnt to a crisp.

Napoleonic France was at first hostile to the Catholic Church and then brought it back in, but it never held the same power or influence it did in France before the Revolution. Russia was Greek Orthodox, and Greek Orthodox has been around since the Byzantines so it doesn't apply to the change after the Protestant reformation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4403748]I see. He was just patronizing the Pope. Saying it to be nice. :rolleyes:

Why are you doing nothing to stop communism here?[/QUOTE]

Agree to disagree.

Those statements are akin to a Superbowl winning QB giving credit to everyone but himself after leading the team on a scoring drive in the final minute. It's called being humble.

We do not live under communism here.

You are free to hold the opinion that the collapse of communism in Poland in 1989 was primarily due to a Pope visit in 1979. I disagree, and most historians support my position and credit the fall to Walesa and the Solidarity movement, not the Pope.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4404223]

You are free to hold the opinion that the collapse of communism in Poland in 1989 was primarily due to a Pope visit in 1979. [/QUOTE]

Yes, I am free to agree with Lech Walesa and you are free to disagree with him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4404223]You are free to hold the opinion that the collapse of communism in Poland in 1989 was primarily due to a Pope visit in 1979. [/QUOTE]

Only took 10 years for the Pope's superpowers to have an effect, huh?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4402865]Starting your own make believe church is NOT winning; its going to find another game to play in. BIG difference.[/QUOTE]

LOLz.

One religion is "real" and another "make-believe."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4404754]LOLz.

One religion is "real" and another "make-believe."[/QUOTE]

What's cool is the Catholic Church liked to castrate little boys too. COMMON!!

[url]http://www.newser.com/story/142261/dutch-catholics-castrated-at-least-10-teens-in-1950s.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4404271]Only took 10 years for the Pope's superpowers to have an effect, huh?[/QUOTE]

I think it was his magical robe and hat. He Gandolphed the Soviets. "You shall not pass!"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4404754]LOLz.

One religion is "real" and another "make-believe."[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Like it or not, the Catholic Church traces its roots all the way back to Jesus and the Apostles. There are doctrinal differences that really have no reasonable explanation other than that "some pissed off guy just made them up", like Henry VIII.
    Last edited by quantum; 03-21-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4404193]The previous people who tried to reform the church or start their own ended up on a pike in the middle of town burnt to a crisp.

Napoleonic France was at first hostile to the Catholic Church and then brought it back in, but it never held the same power or influence it did in France before the Revolution. Russia was Greek Orthodox, and Greek Orthodox has been around since the Byzantines so it doesn't apply to the change after the Protestant reformation.[/QUOTE]

your understanding of history is ...problematic. And you have posted nothing to refute my claim that you saying Protestantism somehow was the reason for the rise and success of empires like England is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4405857]your understanding of history is ...problematic. And you have posted nothing to refute my claim that you saying Protestantism somehow was the reason for the rise and success of empires like England is ridiculous. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I never said being Protestant was the reason for anything.

Just said Protestants have been kicking Catholic ass since Protestantism existed.

Which is true. And of all subjects, I know my history.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4406266]I never said being Protestant was the reason for anything.

Just said Protestants have been kicking Catholic ass since Protestantism existed.

Which is true. And of all subjects, I know my history.[/QUOTE]

:rotfl:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4405845]:rolleyes:

Like it or not, the Catholic Church traces its roots all the way back to Jesus and the Apostles. There are doctrinal differences that really have no reasonable explanation other than that "some pissed off guy just made them up", like Henry VIII.[/QUOTE]

Right whereas all the catholic stuff is realistic. :rolleyes:

The "my religion is right cuz its older" defense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    When a seasoned politician issues a public announcement late on Friday afternoon, you already know that he’s trying to hide something. Politicians usually want the maximum publicity for their statements. On Friday afternoons, beat reporters are headed for happy hours, chanting “TGIF,” so the announcement won’t command much coverage. People in general are easing into weekend mode, so they won’t be paying attention to the reports anyway. These are notoriously the worst possible times for attracting publicity.

But there are times when politicians want to avoid publicity: times when they have no choice but to release embarrassing information. For that purpose, Friday afternoons are perfect.

So last Friday afternoon, when the Obama administration released some more details about the contraceptive mandate, it was obvious that the White House didn’t want people paying close attention to those details.
    The administration did its best to portray the announcement as another effort to reach a compromise with the Catholic hierarchy, but the bishops’ conference knew nothing about the “new” plan. Leaders of Planned Parenthood and NARRAL applauded the announcement, but even Sister Carol Keehan, a usually reliable Obama ally, could not muster any enthusiasm.
    Sure enough, there was nothing really new in the announcement: only a few details of a plan that had already been unveiled. The White House said it was an important announcement, so some reporters dutifully said it was so. But this was truly creative journalism: creative in the sense that reporters were making something out of nothing.
    This week a few intrepid journalists have looked into the details of the Obama plan and noticed some creativity there as well. For instance the Wall Street Journal observes that the plan. makes the costs of contraception disappear by declaring that those costs do not exist. “Insurers are banned from charging higher premiums for extra benefits, so out of what mists will the necessary dollars materialize?”

The Obama team instructs us that contraception will lower overall health-care costs. That’s a highly questionable theory—a theory that insurance companies reject. And the same administration has highlighted Sandra Fluke’s testimony that contraceptives are terribly expensive. Someone is going to have to pay the bill. So who will it be?

If you don’t particularly want the question answered, ask it late on a Friday afternoon.
    [url]http://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/otn.cfm?id=899[/url]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow doesn't believe in Catholicism.

/thread.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sharrow;4410003]Tebow doesn't believe in Catholicism.

/thread.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he doesn't want to finance infanticide.