Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wimbley signs with Titans 5 yrs $35mil

Wimbley signs with Titans 5 yrs $35mil

Damn, I woulda thought we could have worked something out for that price.

Uh, no we could not have worked something out at that price...

[QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4403945]Uh, no we could not have worked something out at that price...[/QUOTE]

Agree. Haven't seen the breakdown of course, but you have to assume a good portion of that is frontloaded, and the Jets just don't have "frontload" space at this point.

If Wimbley was an undoubtedly perfect fit, then I would have expected the team to make it happen. But with limited resources, they have to bring in guys that are great (or better) fits for the scheme.

Wimbley would have improved the pass-rush for sure, but would he have been effective enough in the base defense to warrant that deal?

Yes we could have. Wouldn't have had to pay him the full $7mil share this year, and we have cap space freeing up going forward, plus cap will go up. Tanny can get creative with the numbers.

We missed a chance to add the edge rusher we needed. Ten we wouldn't have had to reach for an OLB in round 1 if they didn't live who was there... Could draft Barron, a RT or WR.

Bummer.

You knew the Titans had to start making moves......were really not able to do much until Manning preocess was over.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4403952]Yes we could have. Wouldn't have had to pay him the full $7mil share this year, and we have cap space freeing up going forward, plus cap will go up. Tanny can get creative with the numbers.

We missed a chance to add the edge rusher we needed. Ten we wouldn't have had to reach for an OLB in round 1 if they didn't live who was there... Could draft Barron, a RT or WR.

Bummer.[/QUOTE]

And this is how you get into trouble every year with the cap. We didn't front load Calvin Pace's deal. How is that working out?

Better to get role guys and depth, and keep drafting solid. We got away from that philosophy the past two years, and see where it has got us?

[QUOTE=Gastineau99;4403952]Yes we could have. Wouldn't have had to pay him the full $7mil share this year, and we have cap space freeing up going forward, plus cap will go up. Tanny can get creative with the numbers.

Bummer.[/QUOTE]

After signing Landry, I believe we are $8 million under the cap. Based on what I've read, we are going to need $5 million for draft picks. Take away another $2 million for in year pickups and we are left with $1 million. Probably safe to say that Wimbley is making more than a mill.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Per PFT - 13.5 guaranteed, 11.5 in the first year.

No way we had that kind of room.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/20/titans-kamerion-wimbley-agree-to-five-year-deal/[/url]

[QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4403970]After signing Landry, I believe we are $8 million under the cap. Based on what I've read, we are going to need $5 million for draft picks. Take away another $2 million for in year pickups and we are left with $1 million. Probably safe to say that Wimbley is making more than a mill.[/QUOTE]

LOL, this has been posted a hundred times yet people still don't get it. They see us having 8 million cap space and think we can sign a guy for 8 million or even 4 or 5 million.

All League
    This was a pretty predictable signing by the Titans since they were apparently way in on Mario Williams before Bud Adams decided to chase Peyton instead.

Way out of our price range.

All Pro

[B]We missed a chance to add the edge rusher we needed. [/B] Ten we wouldn't have had to reach for an OLB in round 1 if they didn't live who was there... Could draft Barron, a RT or WR.

Bummer.[/QUOTE]

I'd much rather have Ingram or Upshaw than Wimbley.... Neither would be a reach at 16, certainly not as much of a reach as Barron.
    Last edited by Austin; 03-20-2012 at 10:13 AM.

All League
    There are way too many OLB draft prospects in this draft to invest
    big $$$ in a free agent. Wimbley was never coming here if things fall
    correctly the Jets could get Ingram & Curry in the first two rounds of the
    draft

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4403970]After signing Landry, I believe we are $8 million under the cap. Based on what I've read, we are going to need $5 million for draft picks. Take away another $2 million for in year pickups and we are left with $1 million. Probably safe to say that Wimbley is making more than a mill.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Landry is 4 million, Stanton was 1.2 mil, Schillens was 750,000. 5-6 million for draft picks. People need to look at the numbers before they rant and rave about signing someone. Tanny is good with the cap, but he can not re-invent mathematics.

After Landry signing and leaving money for draft picks) we have about $6mil to play with. Not much, but would have liked to make an effort when a top 10 OLB pass rusher (according to PFF) is available for $7mil per year.

Ingram or Upshaw would not make the immediate impact Wimbley would, and Rey may never turn out to be on Wimbley's level. You just don't know what your getting. Not like Wimbley is a huge liability against the run either.

You have a chance to get a top notch passrusher, which is the one thing our D lacks to put us into the DOMINANT category, you have to do it. $7mil a year seems like a bargain.

[QUOTE=Gastineau99;4404100]After Landry signing and leaving money for draft picks) we have about $6mil to play with. [/quote]
    Incorrect.

[quote]Not much, but would have liked to make an effort when a top 10 OLB pass rusher (according to PFF) is available for $7mil per year.[/quote]
    Incorrect.

[quote]Ingram or Upshaw would not make the immediate impact Wimbley would, and Rey may never turn out to be on Wimbley's level. You just don't know what your getting. Not like Wimbley is a huge liability against the run either. [/quote]
    Correct. Maybe.

[quote]You have a chance to get a top notch passrusher, which is the one thing our D lacks to put us into the DOMINANT category, you have to do it. $7mil a year seems like a bargain.[/QUOTE]

So we "have 6 million to play with", yet you say he signed for $7 million (he didn't), and are upset we didn't sign him? If we had $6 million to play with (we don't), and we signed him for $7 million (we couldn't), my math says that's $-1 million. :huh:

[QUOTE=Austin;4404027]I'd much rather have Ingram or Upshaw than Wimbley.... Neither would be a reach at 16, certainly not as much of a reach as Barron.[/QUOTE]

Doubt Ingram will be there, that's the problem. Plus he'll likely not be the passrusher Wimbley is regardless.

I'd rather draft a stud, but you never know what your getting. Not like it's a sure thing at 16, guy they prefer might not be there.

Hall Of Fame
    The $11.5MM in the first year is a deal breaker for the Jets. The math doesnt work at that number.

But even if he would have budged, I still don't think we could have afforded him. Here's why:

1. Bart Scott restructure
    2. Wayne Hunter pickup
    3. Eric Smith still on roster
    4. Laron Landry signing

Tennessee got a bargain. Shame. I would much rather have Wimbley and be without the above mentioned players.

[QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4404110]Incorrect.

Incorrect.

Correct. Maybe.

So we "have 6 million to play with", yet you say he signed for $7 million (he didn't), and are upset we didn't sign him? If we had $6 million to play with (we don't), and we signed him for $7 million (we couldn't), my math says that's $-1 million. :huh:[/QUOTE]

Show facts to back up your arguments, don't just say "incorrect.". PFFs pass rushing Rating has him top 10 of all OLBs (4-3 and 3-4).

Just because he averages $7mil per year, doesn't mean we had to pay him $7mil this year. We have $15mil freeing up next year between Pace an Scott alone.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4404137]Doubt Ingram will be there, that's the problem. Plus he'll likely not be the passrusher Wimbley is regardless.

I'd rather draft a stud, but you never know what your getting. Not like it's a sure thing at 16, guy they prefer might not be there.[/QUOTE]

I think Ingram will be a better pass rusher than Wimbley... And I think it's likely one of the two passrushers will be there when we pick.

Obviously there's bust potential, but I really like both guys personally.

[QUOTE=Gastineau99;4404157]Show facts to back up your arguments, don't just say "incorrect.". PFFs pass rushing Rating has him top 10 of all OLBs (4-3 and 3-4).

Just because he averages $7mil per year, doesn't mean we had to pay him $7mil this year. We have $15mil freeing up next year between Pace an Scott alone.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/20/titans-kamerion-wimbley-agree-to-five-year-deal/[/url]

As quoted IN THIS THREAD, his 1st year number is $11.5 million dollars. Not 7, not 6, not 3. $11.5 million.

[url]http://nyjetscap.com/salary.html[/url]

$12 million cap space - Landry's $4 million - rookie wages $5 million = $3 million dollars.

Enough facts?