Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wimbley signs with Titans 5 yrs $35mil

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4404139]The $11.5MM in the first year is a deal breaker for the Jets. The math doesnt work at that number.

But even if he would have budged, I still don't think we could have afforded him. Here's why:

1. Bart Scott restructure
    2. Wayne Hunter pickup
    3. Eric Smith still on roster
    4. Laron Landry signing

Tennessee got a bargain. Shame. I would much rather have Wimbley and be without the above mentioned players.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the $11.5 mil year 1 would have killed our chances. Since he's still getting a boatload from the Raiders this year, I'm sure he would have considered a contract with a bunch of the guaranteed money coming in year 2 for the chance to play in Rex's D over the Titans.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not usually a guy who *****es about signings (or lack there of), but I haven't been overly impressed with the Titans two additions thus far. Guard Steve Hutchinson by all accounts was pretty much done his past two years in Minnesota (hopefully playing for two HOF olinemen in Matthews and Munch will revitalize the old guard). Wembley, playing in his proper position (an olb in a 3-4) registered a whopping 7 sacks last season. He had four in one in one game, so that means dude had 3 sacks in the remaining 15.

Curious as to what the first three years (the real years) of Wembley's deal are like.

After a lil complaining, I will now STFU and throw my support behind these two new Titties and hope they both have great years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4404178]I don't think the $11.5 mil year 1 would have killed our chances. Since he's still getting a boatload from the Raiders this year, I'm sure he would have considered a contract with a bunch of the guaranteed money coming in year 2 for the chance to play in Rex's D over the Titans.[/QUOTE]

We're the Jets. We're not allowed to give a big contract to anyone unless they're an ok safety from the Bengals.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4404166][url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/20/titans-kamerion-wimbley-agree-to-five-year-deal/[/url]

As quoted IN THIS THREAD, his 1st year number is $11.5 million dollars. Not 7, not 6, not 3. $11.5 million.

[url]http://nyjetscap.com/salary.html[/url]

$12 million cap space - Landry's $4 million - rookie wages $5 million = $3 million dollars.

Enough facts?[/QUOTE]

What he makes in year 1 with the titans isn't really the end-all-be-all. Doesn't mean we would have had to pay him $11 mil this year.

Also, we don't have to spend $5mil on rookies, so that's not a FACT.

Try again.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4404432]What he makes in year 1 with the titans isn't really the end-all-be-all. Doesn't mean we would have had to pay him $11 mil this year.

Also, we don't have to spend $5mil on rookies, so that's not a FACT.

Try again.[/QUOTE]

Just so I'm trying to understand this...

You're saying that you think Wimbley might have signed with the Jets for significantly less than what the Titans offered, $11 million? Riiiiiiiiight.

You either A) know next to nothing about the salary cap and how signings actually work, or B) are trolling. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's B.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4404452]Just so I'm trying to understand this...

You're saying that you think Wimbley might have signed with the Jets for significantly less than what the Titans offered, $11 million? Riiiiiiiiight.

You either A) know next to nothing about the salary cap and how signings actually work, or B) are trolling. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's B.[/QUOTE]

NO! I'm saying that they jets could have offered THE SAME MONEY over 5 years with THE SAME AMOUNT OF GUARANTEED MONEY and just distributed it differently over the course of the 5 years so it works with the cap this year.

Players don't look at a contract solely on what they get in year one. It's all about how much is guaranteed. Not like the guy is bankrupt or owes tons of money in child support (Cro) and needs a bunch of money ASAP. The guys is due to make $6.5 mil from the Raiders this year already. You think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he would have agreed to play for the Jets for $3-5mil this year, with that number going up in the next couple years to make up the difference? If he's still guaranteed the $13.5 mil, what's the difference to him? Jets could also have guaranteed more money to sweeten the deal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4404432]What he makes in year 1 with the titans isn't really the end-all-be-all. Doesn't mean we would have had to pay him $11 mil this year.

Also, [B]we don't have to spend $5mil on rookies[/B], so that's not a FACT.

Try again.[/QUOTE]

Now that the draft salaries are slotted, pretty sure we know exactly how much we have to spend. Unless you are saying we are going to reduce the number of picks we have. That would not be wise given our lackluster depth on the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4404593]NO! I'm saying that they jets could have offered THE SAME MONEY over 5 years with THE SAME AMOUNT OF GUARANTEED MONEY and just distributed it differently over the course of the 5 years so it works with the cap this year.

Players don't look at a contract solely on what they get in year one. It's all about how much is guaranteed. Not like the guy is bankrupt or owes tons of money in child support (Cro) and needs a bunch of money ASAP. The guys is due to make $6.5 mil from the Raiders this year already. You think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he would have agreed to play for the Jets for $3-5mil this year, with that number going up in the next couple years to make up the difference? If he's still guaranteed the $13.5 mil, what's the difference to him? Jets could also have guaranteed more money to sweeten the deal.[/QUOTE]

Right. But if a player is given option A) $3 million year one, $13.5 million guaranteed or B) $11.5 million year one, $13.5 million guaranteed, they are always going to take option B.

And the difference is what we've always done, which is differ money to future years, and that's why we have very little cap money this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4403970]After signing Landry, I believe we are $8 million under the cap. Based on what I've read, we are going to need $5 million for draft picks. Take away another $2 million for in year pickups and we are left with $1 million. Probably safe to say that Wimbley is making more than a mill.[/QUOTE]

You have to back out the costs of minimum salary guys who count against our cap now but won't be part of the top 51 when the rookies sign. Per jason, that will only take up about 2m

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IndianaJet;4404002]Per PFT - 13.5 guaranteed, 11.5 in the first year.

No way we had that kind of room.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/20/titans-kamerion-wimbley-agree-to-five-year-deal/[/url][/QUOTE]

I thought he was going to take a pay cut the first year? :rolleyes:

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wimbley's deal

Signing bonus: $ 9 million.

2012 salary: $2.5 million.

2013 salary: $4 million.

2014 salary: $6 million.

2015 salary: $6.5 million.

2016 salary: $7 million.

With his prorated signing bonus, Wimbley will count $4.3 million against the teamís salary cap in 2012.

First 3 years for 21.5 (7.8 million cap number in third year, 3.6 million cap hit in 2015 if cut after 2014 season)