Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Happiness, inner peace and ways to de-stress

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4416215]I'm pretty sure they got into the city some weeks back.

Perhaps it is time again.[/QUOTE]

That's good but doing it on a semi-regular basis would be good. Even if they can't do it together and take turns each going out with friends. Just having something like that to look forward to may be the mental holiday that they both need.

Of course, I'm certainly not implying that I know what is best but this is what my wife and I do. We really don't have any family that can watch our son so going out together is difficult so we take turns going out with our friends and then have at least one night a week as a date night where we have some wine and watch a movie together.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4416270]The best stress relief is to get your balls tongued by a girl with big t*ts. SCIENCE!!![/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff189/polishsiren/fake%20pics/longtongue.gif[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Running--no better stress relief than going for a long run and breaking a solid sweat whilst doing so.

2. Fish Oil, lots of it--if you aren't into RXs (I am not, I work in healthcare and with what I have seen/experienced as a result of this, I avoid them as much as possible), I would try taking 4 fish oil capsules a day...it shows a proven reduction in stress and anxiety and I can vouch for this being factual...give it a whirl

3. Boozing--depending upon the root of your ulcers, I am not sure if this is a good idea, but a few drinks a night (a few, like 2-3 max) never hurt nobody.

4. Books--I just picked up this book "No Excuses" by Kyle Maynard after seeing it on Sportscenter...it's about Kyle Maynard who was born with no arms and legs and how he conquers a lot in his life with the hand he was dealt; this helps to keep all things in perspective and that you control your life no matter what hand you were ultimately dealt

Good luck and keep pushing through.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those that have asked since, yes I do workout, often. I am also not a yeller, so arguments don't go on for too long by my doing. The wife and I are working on us, trying to get some semblance of normalcy for couples our age.

Like I said, it's hard. I'm trying and I am thankful for the suggestions thus far. The breathing exercises have definitely made an impact, no unlike when I first quit smoking. Back then, whenever the urge kicked in I took one or two deeeeeeep breaths and it always helped. Forgot how well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4416270]The best stress relief is to get your balls tongued by a girl with big t*ts. SCIENCE!!![/QUOTE]

I'll take it from little Tatas too......

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4416419]For those that have asked since, yes I do workout, often. I am also not a yeller, so arguments don't go on for too long by my doing. The wife and I are working on us, trying to get some semblance of normalcy for couples our age.

Like I said, it's hard. I'm trying and I am thankful for the suggestions thus far. The breathing exercises have definitely made an impact, no unlike when I first quit smoking. Back then, whenever the urge kicked in I took one or two deeeeeeep breaths and it always helped. Forgot how well.[/QUOTE]

I can't even begin to imagine the difficulties you have to go through. I have been dealing with my own issue the last couple of years but nothing of your magnitude. I can tell you that drugs only make it worse. I was taking Kolonopin for awhile and it was the worst. It took me almost a year to get myself off of it. As far as alcohol, I only like drinking a bit when I am happy...I find if I'm in a bad way, it makes it worse.

Good luck with everything

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    About two months ago I finally got around to watching a movie I've always meant to watch; Lost in Translation. This quote has since made the unmanageable more manageable. And that's saying something considering how the past few weeks have been going.

[quote]The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.[/quote]

Simple and succinct, yet it spoke to me. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4416419]For those that have asked since, yes I do workout, often.
    .[/QUOTE]

Pics or GTFO..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4497803]About two months ago I finally got around to watching a movie I've always meant to watch; Lost in Translation. This quote has since made the unmanageable more manageable. And that's saying something considering how the past few weeks have been going.

Simple and succinct, yet it spoke to me. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I thoroughly enjoyed that movie. saw it a few times on HBO.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 06-21-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4497803]About two months ago I finally got around to watching a movie I've always meant to watch; Lost in Translation. This quote has since made the unmanageable more manageable. And that's saying something considering how the past few weeks have been going.

Simple and succinct, yet it spoke to me. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Great movie.

If you can't find peace....find a piece...of ass. It always helps. :D

But seriously, glad you're doing a little better. Everyone has sources of stress and trouble in their lives, it's the management of that stress that I think separates people in terms of happiness and their ability to live with it.

I'm pretty high strung sometimes, I'll let even minor things get to me on occasion or wake up in the middle of the night worrying about whether I sent a particular email to someone at work or not. I could sell a big project at work, line up 12 months of project work....and I'll immediately start stressing about what we'll do in month 13. But I have a friend who probably has $10 in his bank account, a newborn baby, job troubles, etc. and the guy has the most positive outlook on life and is always happy...never seems stressed. Wish I could be like that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lost in Translation?!

LOL.

More like "I Lost My Testicles".....:yes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the running thing earlier this year and really wanted to do it - until I went off and injured my ****ing self by spraining both MCLs. I'ts put me in a funk where I feel like no matter what I try Im ****ing doomed.

I'm still smoke-free after 16 months, but goddamn I need to do something to get this weight off and feel better about myself.

On another note my wife picked up this drivel 'Fifty Shades Of Grey' - does this mean I'll get lucky sometime soon, or can I expect her to have an affair instead?

:(

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4497973]I tried the running thing earlier this year and really wanted to do it - until I went off and injured my ****ing self by spraining both MCLs. I'ts put me in a funk where I feel like no matter what I try Im ****ing doomed.

I'm still smoke-free after 16 months, but goddamn I need to do something to get this weight off and feel better about myself.

On another note my wife picked up this drivel 'Fifty Shades Of Grey' - does this mean I'll get lucky sometime soon, or can I expect her to have an affair instead?

:([/QUOTE]

It depends on the placement in her nook.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4497973]I tried the running thing earlier this year and really wanted to do it - until I went off and injured my ****ing self by spraining both MCLs. I'ts put me in a funk where I feel like no matter what I try Im ****ing doomed.

[b]I'm still smoke-free after 16 months, but goddamn I need to do something to get this weight off and feel better about myself.[/b]

Extreme Fapping perhaps?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4412485]So yesterday I had one of my many followup visits to my gastroenterologist. He told me that not only have my stomach ulcers not healed, but they have now spread to my duodenum. This comes as no shock to me given the stresses in my life, especially as of late where things have been substantially worse. Tougher still is I am something of a pragmatist, so trying to put a positive spin on things isn't easy for me.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to accept these things as part of life as I know it; I have also decided that I need to find some form of happiness within (God knows this team hasn't been able to help me with that!). I've heard some of the usual stuff (fake it until you make it, the 12 step acceptance prayer, zen stuff etc.). I am starting to take blocks of 5-10 minutes and just practice breathing whilst concentrating on one thing (Buddhist practice). It helps, but it isn't exactly an 'in the moment' solution.

Therefore I ask the sage minds of the Hampur; what works for you in managing stress and bringing about happiness?:)[/QUOTE]

I know it may sound stupid, but when you start to feel anxious or stressed, think of the worst thing that could happen to you...which is death.

Then don't sweat the small stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=thebigragu;4497935]Pics or GTFO..[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z444/wetworks73/Mecrop2.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4497957]Great movie.

If you can't find peace....find a piece...of ass. It always helps. :D

But seriously, glad you're doing a little better. Everyone has sources of stress and trouble in their lives, it's the management of that stress that I think separates people in terms of happiness and their ability to live with it.

I'm pretty high strung sometimes, I'll let even minor things get to me on occasion or wake up in the middle of the night worrying about whether I sent a particular email to someone at work or not. I could sell a big project at work, line up 12 months of project work....and I'll immediately start stressing about what we'll do in month 13. But I have a friend who probably has $10 in his bank account, a newborn baby, job troubles, etc. and the guy has the most positive outlook on life and is always happy...never seems stressed. Wish I could be like that.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I would never want to be the guy that let's everything roll off his back. Those guys snap eventually.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4497961]Lost in Translation?!

LOL.

More like "I Lost My Testicles".....:yes:[/QUOTE]

Watched of my own accord. Guy endorses whiskey in Japan while hanging out with ScarJo. What's not to like?

LOW CARB DIET. Make it a way of life and you won't regret it.:yes:

[QUOTE=Peebag;4498064]I know it may sound stupid, but when you start to feel anxious or stressed, think of the worst thing that could happen to you...which is death.

Then don't sweat the small stuff.[/QUOTE]

For some death would be considered a release. Personally, I would rather die than face, say, a debilitating stroke. Others would disagree with that and maybe pick something else.

The issues are multi-layered and far-reaching. For instance, this week my daughter suffered her 3rd seizure in 12 days, a big increase from what we are used to seeing. This one she had whilst exiting the pool, falling to the ground off the ladder and turning cyanotic. This happened while I was just sitting down with my dad for lunch (far from my house) and my wife was babysitting my niece and nephew. The resultant sh!tstorm of her thinking how to tell me that our daughter is dying, coupled with my frantic rush home, the massive amount of emergency personnel in my kitchen, subsequent trip to the ER and general disagreement about what is the best course of treatment is enough to drive pretty much anyone here on JI or many other places straight batsh!t crazy.

So you see, even the small stuff needs to be sweated, whether it's lunch plans, babysitting or just plain swimming in the backyard pool. Personally, I think I manage it pretty well. I just needed to fine-tune my de-stressors a bit.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 06-22-2012 at 02:55 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=thebigragu;4497935]Pics or GTFO..[/QUOTE]

lol

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure it means that if you can somehow find a way to keep yogging, you can enter her garden of forbidden fruits. Or it means that you need to keep posting funny gifs. Not Sure.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4498618][IMG]
    The issues are multi-layered and far-reaching. For instance, this week my daughter suffered her 3rd seizure in 12 days, a big increase from what we are used to seeing. This one she had whilst exiting the pool, falling to the ground off the ladder and turning [B]cyanotic[/B]. This happened while I was just sitting down with my dad for lunch (far from my house) and my wife was babysitting my niece and nephew. The resultant sh!tstorm of her thinking how to tell me that our daughter is dying, coupled with my frantic rush home, the massive amount of emergency personnel in my kitchen, subsequent trip to the ER and general disagreement about what is the best course of treatment is enough to drive pretty much anyone here on JI or many other places straight batsh!t crazy.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry man. Having a pregnant wife I can't even imagine your stress. Nothing pithy to say.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4498624]Sorry man. Having a pregnant wife I can't even imagine your stress. Nothing pithy to say.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man. Life is full of stress. To each of us that stress may be the worst thing in the world at that moment, and sometimes it actually is. I've learned that each day, or sometimes two days later, I am capable of hitting 'restart' and moving on. It's hard, but it's a whole lot better than it was.