Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Happiness, inner peace and ways to de-stress

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4413229]No TEBOW in teh Hampur :steamin:

_[/QUOTE]

I literally ask myself sometimes...WWJD?

All League
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4412686]22 replies and no mention of oral sex?
    _[/QUOTE]

We were waiting for Borgo to chime in.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4413227]Apologies. I meant it jokingly.[/QUOTE]

I was kidding. Calling me a dummy is probably the nicest thing anyones said! :D

Jetworks- laughter is good medicine - why not sit down for a few hours and watch some movie comedies? Blazing Saddles is a good one.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Big L;4413250]

Jetworks- laughter is good medicine - why not sit down for a few hours and watch some movie comedies? Blazing Saddles is a good one.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've made a concerted effort to watch more comedies as of late. Started to fire up "Duck Soup" the other night, but chose not to.:D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4412523]I am a moderate drinker, imbibing a scotch 1-2 times a week, tops. Quite smoking 5+ years ago. I have a low-carb lifestyle which is otherwise fairly well-balanced.

The stress in my life is primarily that I have two developmentally delayed children, one profoundly so. That has lent itself to contributing to the typically accompanying domestic stressors, which have gotten worse over the past year or so. It is highly likely that is the cause of the ulcers.

For the most part, I am asymptomatic, so I suppose I am lucky there. I am in pretty damn good shape at this point from exercise and diet; good heart rate and cholesterol numbers. I take my dog out walking everyday, which I have turned into something of a de-stressing mechanism as well.

Thanks for the well-wishes.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't have kids but my friend has a severely disabled child and I am aware of the stress that it can put on a family. It is a full-time job caring for them. He and his wife have had to completely change their lives to care for him. The wife works during the day and my friend works at night. He had to give up his career. It has put stress on their marriage as well. Nobody understands how hard it is unless they have experienced it themselves. It is an impossible situation for them. Their child will dependent on them for the rest of his life.

I believe there are support groups for families in your situation. I am sure you have looked into it already. It helps to talk to people that are in the same situation as you. There is a lot that can be learned from them.

I wish you and your family all the best.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-23-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4413255]Agreed. I've made a concerted effort to watch more comedies as of late. Started to fire up "Duck Soup" the other night, but chose not to.:D[/QUOTE]

If you are looking for disappointment, try Blazing Saddles. :D

_

All League
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4413279]If you are looking for disappointment, try Blazing Saddles. :D

_[/QUOTE]

LOL

If anyone finds the answer to this please let me know.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4412485]So yesterday I had one of my many followup visits to my gastroenterologist. He told me that not only have my stomach ulcers not healed, but they have now spread to my duodenum. This comes as no shock to me given the stresses in my life, especially as of late where things have been substantially worse. Tougher still is I am something of a pragmatist, so trying to put a positive spin on things isn't easy for me.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to accept these things as part of life as I know it; I have also decided that I need to find some form of happiness within (God knows this team hasn't been able to help me with that!). I've heard some of the usual stuff (fake it until you make it, the 12 step acceptance prayer, zen stuff etc.). I am starting to take blocks of 5-10 minutes and just practice breathing whilst concentrating on one thing (Buddhist practice). It helps, but it isn't exactly an 'in the moment' solution.

Therefore I ask the sage minds of the Hampur; what works for you in managing stress and bringing about happiness?:)[/QUOTE]

I have what you need:

[url]http://www.med.umich.edu/painresearch/patients/Relaxation.pdf[/url]

Dr. Herbert Benson identified the "Relaxation Response" which is a naturally occurring phenomenon. Deep belly breathing.

Good luck

All Pro
    [QUOTE=southside;4413299]If anyone finds the answer to this please let me know.[/QUOTE]

Well, try one or more of the many suggestions that have already been made. See if they help you at all.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I do also find the occasional blasting of the heaviest old school'ish metal I can tolerate, at obscene volume, whilst driving, serves to destress. Sort of.

Blaring Pantera's "Fccking Hostile" at max volume, from my vanilla family car and my horri-lol balding middle-age dude looks must be pretty funny for onlookers, but it does serve to expell some spleen when spleen expelling is required.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4413388]

from my vanilla family car and my horri-lol balding middle-age dude looks must be pretty funny for onlookers

[/QUOTE]

Where is Crossfire when you need him.

Hey, let's go photoshop the little guy.

:D

_

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4413388]I do also find the occasional blasting of the heaviest old school'ish metal I can tolerate, at obscene volume, whilst driving, serves to destress. Sort of.
    [B]
    Blaring Pantera's "Fccking Hostile" at max volume[/B], from my vanilla family car and my horri-lol balding middle-age dude looks must be pretty funny for onlookers, but it does serve to expell some spleen when spleen expelling is required.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, that cd is still my go to pump up music...in fact, in my 30 minute or so Jets pre-game pump up routine "Mouth For War" is always on the playlist. Of course, why a 40 something sloth needs a pump-up session just to watch a game on his couch is another topic entirely. :D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4412645]Some simple steps that are easier said than done.

1. Figure out what REALLY does this to you. You may be surprised.

2. Less drinking. More exercise (including some sort of fun game but don't take it too serious). Better eating. More sleep.

3. People come in 2 groups. Those that add sometime to your life and those that subtract. Lose the 2nd group.

4. Think ahead to when you will be 70 years old. What do you want to remember? Do those things NOW.

5. Volunteer to help someone.[/QUOTE]

he is stressed - not a ghey

Backpage.com
    Tubegalore.com

You are welcome

Jets Insider VIP
    Having two delayed children, with one being profoundly so, has got to be incredibly stressful. My son has had delays as well, fortunately not profound, but I know how stressful that can be. So having a both has got to be incredibly tough.

All the advice is great but ultimately you need to find what works beat for you. Are you and the misses ever able to just get away just the two of you, even just for a weekend? I know this might be difficult with the family situation but getting a regularly scheduled break can give you something to look forward to and help take some of the stress away.

If the two of you can't get away together, try the same plan but with each of you taking turns getting away for a weekend with friends. Or even just a full day away with friends. I would assume the wife is a bit stressed too.

Good luck finding out what works for you.

All League
    Jets do you workout? A good morning run/long walk or workout at the Y is as good for the mind as for the cardio. I think its like a dog with too much energy- you gotta walk him to calm him. Your energy sounds like it is manifested as stress and you release it by arguing with the wife over things important and not so important. With us middle age guys the mental toxins are just as bad as a bacon double cheeseburger or a Tebow signing (sorry could'nt resist).

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4412631]:D

I'd like to burn alive and dismember most of the people posting on the Strip.

We get it. You don't like the move the Jets made. Now STFU and stuff a tampon in your mouth and start a support group for post menopausal sports fans. They can hold each other and watch Sleepless in Seattle instead of watching football. :D[/QUOTE]

Pray I am on the jury because that defense would get you my not guilty vote.

All League
    [QUOTE=southside;4413299]If anyone finds the answer to this please let me know.[/QUOTE]

For you it's getting laid and/or finding a woman that will love and accept you.

No, we can't help...it's been proven.

[QUOTE=crossfire;4416157]Having two delayed children, with one being profoundly so, has got to be incredibly stressful. My son has had delays as well, fortunately not profound, but I know how stressful that can be. So having a both has got to be incredibly tough.

All the advice is great but ultimately you need to find what works beat for you. Are you and the misses ever able to just get away just the two of you, even just for a weekend? I know this might be difficult with the family situation but getting a regularly scheduled break can give you something to look forward to and help take some of the stress away.

If the two of you can't get away together, try the same plan but with each of you taking turns getting away for a weekend with friends. Or even just a full day away with friends. I would assume the wife is a bit stressed too.

Good luck finding out what works for you.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they got into the city some weeks back.

Perhaps it is time again.

Hall Of Fame
    The best stress relief is to get your balls tongued by a girl with big t*ts. SCIENCE!!!