Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jonathan stewart..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

jonathan stewart..

with both mike tolbert & deangelo williams in place, how could stewart not be available at the right price?? give up our 3rd pick & we could have a very productive starting RB who's still only 25.. thoughts??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would do it a heartbeat.. Then Draft Floyd in rd 1..that would definitely improve the team speed at least on the offensive side of the ball..

But I believe he is on the last year of his rookie deal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think he is available without trading picks to the Panthers since he is under contract with them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I loved the idea 2 weeks ago but since we already gave up a 4th for that QB from Denver I think we should hold on to our picks now......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Merge.

I'm all for acquiring J Stew though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    Merge.

I'm all for acquiring J Stew though.
    which draft pick or picks would you like the Jets to send to the Panthers to acquire him??

be specific

thank you

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is that Jstew is a one year rental or we need to pay him as an FA next year. Also, for a fan base that continually says greene is "injury prone", even though that is completely false, Stewart has had a chronic injury for 2 years and doesn't practice every day.

If we wanted to let greene go and then sign stewart for a reasonble deal that wouldn't be awful, just not sure how expensive he will be.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you think he is the missing piece to get you past the pats, then a 3rd is the way to go. But trading draft picks for players in their last year makes it difficult
    to let them go the next year, making it more likely you will overpay than to just let him go after giving up a top 75 pick for a one year rental. Figure he will want 4 years, and 20 mill contract to forgo FA next year.

If he leaves it will also be Greene's last year also.

I would stay still at 48 and grab one of Wilson, Miller and Martin. then you can have a guy locked up for 4 years @ 1mill per

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I loved the idea 2 weeks ago but since we already gave up a 4th for that QB from Denver I think we should hold on to our picks now......
    Yeah, I think a 4th would have been just about right. Carolina would probably insist on a 3rd. If the Jets are targeting a RB in the draft in the first 3 rounds, then maybe a 3rd would be worth it, unless TRich is within reach. I'd rather have TRich. This could be a potential draft day deal depending on how the board develops. Who knows.

I'd love to have the guy. He's a 25 year old low mileage power back who would instantly be the best RB on the roster. And his cap number is friendly enough.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    We just traded our fourth rounder for a RB. We don't need another one.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The problem is that Jstew is a one year rental or we need to pay him as an FA next year. Also, for a fan base that continually says greene is "injury prone", even though that is completely false, Stewart has had a chronic injury for 2 years and doesn't practice every day.

If we wanted to let greene go and then sign stewart for a reasonble deal that wouldn't be awful, just not sure how expensive he will be.
    If he has a nagging achilles, that definitely is a cause for alarm.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love for us to trade for Stewart. We know what he's capable of when he's healthy. If we get him, we practically give up on Bilal Powell.

But yes, I rather have Stewart than draft another Powell is horrible.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Report: Panthers are open to trading Stewart
    According to Len Pasquarelli of The Sports Xchange, the Panthers will "definitely" listen to trade offers for Jonathan Stewart this offseason.
    After signing Mike Tolbert, the Panthers quickly put out word that Stewart wasn't on the trade block, perhaps for fear of losing leverage. Per Pasquarelli, however, the Steelers could be a "sleeper" to make a run at Stewart, and "everyone" has made the Broncos the favorite to acquire the versatile, 25-year-old back. Pasquarelli does concede "there hasn't been anything serious yet."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Len Pastabelly is, more or less, the Incarcerated Bob of NFL insiders as far as accuracy is concerned

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Draft Doug Martin or Isaiah Pead.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 51JetsFanInPA View Post
    I would love for us to trade for Stewart. We know what he's capable of when he's healthy. If we get him, we practically give up on Bilal Powell.

But yes, I rather have Stewart than draft another Powell is horrible.
    Stewart was the 13th pick in the 1st rd Powell was the 126th pick in the 4th rd so I could see why you would rather have Stewart.. But the cost would be too high for a player in his last contract year..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pass on Stewart.

The one position you can just plug a guy in and have him produce is RB. Behind a good line rookies of all draft levels can do well. Look at Arian Foster for the Texans - an UDFA leading the league in rushing in 2010.

I much prefer to have a road-grading OL and late round or UDFA running backs. Due to injuries the RB shelf life is so short. And they are so easily replaced.

I think big salaries and high draft picks are better spent building up the OL rather than RB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    We just traded our fourth rounder for a RB. We don't need another one.
    +1

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Stewart was the 13th pick in the 1st rd Powell was the 126th pick in the 4th rd so I could see why you would rather have Stewart.. But the cost would be too high for a player in his last contract year..
    Wise guy! I would assume they would ask for a 3rd or a 4th round pick due to his contract being up and his injury risks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    which draft pick or picks would you like the Jets to send to the Panthers to acquire him??

be specific

thank you
    All of my specific thoughts on the trade parameters and about the player are neatly in the Stewart thread created about a week ago.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=242477