Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jonathan stewart..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Pass on Stewart.

The one position you can just plug a guy in and have him produce is RB. Behind a good line rookies of all draft levels can do well. Look at Arian Foster for the Texans - an UDFA leading the league in rushing in 2010.

I much prefer to have a road-grading OL and late round or UDFA running backs. Due to injuries the RB shelf life is so short. And they are so easily replaced.

I think big salaries and high draft picks are better spent building up the OL rather than RB.
    the jets hole at RB hasn't been plugged since martin retired.. i completely agree you can find a legit starting back anywhere in any draft or an UDFA.. if stewart is indeed healthy, giving up a 3rd is not a shot in the dark.. the kid is a proven NFL commodity.. teams drafting OL in the 3rd are looking for depth, not starters IMO.. we need a legit, young starting back more than a 3rd round OL backup..

Quote Originally Posted by jetgreen13 View Post
    the jets hole at RB hasn't been plugged since martin retired.. i completely agree you can find a legit starting back anywhere in any draft or an UDFA.. if stewart is indeed healthy, giving up a 3rd is not a shot in the dark.. the kid is a proven NFL commodity.. teams drafting OL in the 3rd are looking for depth, not starters IMO.. we need a legit, young starting back more than a 3rd round OL backup..
    we had a three year fix, two of which were great years one was eh.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    we had a three year fix, two of which were great years one was eh.

jones was indeed a nice pickup but he was flat out a stop gap signing.. this kid could be our starting back for the next 5 years or so..

Jets Insider VIP
    Pass on Stewart.

The one position you can just plug a guy in and have him produce is RB.
    Doesn't seem to be the case for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Doesn't seem to be the case for us.
    Leon Washington

2006 - 920 yards from scrimmage + 4 TD
    2007 - 568 yards from scrimmage + 3 TD, 1474 return yards + 3 TD
    2008 - 803 yards from scrimmage + 8 TD, 1534 return yards + 1 TD

Shonn Greene

2009 - 540 yards + 2 TD as part of the #1 rushing team
    2010 - 986 yards from scrimmage + 2 TD
    2011 - 1265 yards from scrimmage + 6 TD

Jets Insider VIP
    Leon Washington

Shonn Greene

Here's the problem in a nutshell.

NFL defenses are not afraid of Mark Sanchez and the passing game.
    NFL defense are not afraid of Shonn Greene and the running game.

You need excellence at one of those elements to keep teams honest and help set up the other element.

Jets Insider VIP
    Leon Washington

Shonn Greene

Washington was a glorified kick returner.

Greene is about as one dimensional as it gets.

The Jets haven't had a true, complete back on their roster since Curtis retired. Unless you want to include LT, who was already way past his prime when we brought him in.

Quote Originally Posted by jetgreen13 View Post
    jones was indeed a nice pickup but he was flat out a stop gap signing.. this kid could be our starting back for the next 5 years or so..
    I'm all for Stewart, but Jones was a great Jet pickup.

The Jets haven't had a true, complete back on their roster since Curtis retired. Unless you want to include LT, who was already way past his prime when we brought him in.

True - the team hasn't had an all-around back since Curtis. But my point was that young RB can come in and produce right away. And that's happened even on the Jets.

Leon Washington's 2300 total yards and 9 TD's in 2008 can't be ignored.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Washington was a glorified kick returner.

Greene is about as one dimensional as it gets.

Why wasn't TJ a complete back??

Undrafted Free Agent
    Lamar Mller would do the trick in the third round,fast,elusive,catches well out of backfield.Perfect compliment to Greene,no brainer.

All League
    Teblow for stewart!

They cant pass that up

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Why wasn't TJ a complete back??
    TJ wasn't the receiver Curtis was but, yes, I think your point is well taken. TJ rushed for some serious yards and TD's with the Jets in 2008 / 2009.

HTML Code:
    2009	New York Jets 	16	 16 	331	1,402	4.2	71T	14	

2008	New York Jets 	16	 14 	290	1,312	4.5	59T	13

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

TJ wasn't the receiver Curtis was but, yes, I think your point is well taken. TJ rushed for some serious yards and TD's with the Jets in 2008 / 2009.
    HTML Code:
    2009	New York Jets 	16	 16 	331	1,402	4.2	71T	14	

2008	New York Jets 	16	 14 	290	1,312	4.5	59T	13
    TJ has the Jets record for TD's in a season and yards rushing in a game..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    Teblow for stewart!

They cant pass that up
    Please refer to him as either "Timmy Touchdown" or "Jesus" (pronounced Hay Zeus.)

Thank you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    TJ has the Jets record for TD's in a season and yards rushing in a game..
    His best receiving year with the Jets was still only 21st in the NFL among RB's. His other years were pedestrian-like in receptions, especially his last year.

I never considered him a good receiving RB. I never considered him an all-around complete back. At least not with the Jets.

All League
    No to trading away draft picks. We have the Draft, June cuts, and as a last resort, Training camp cuts to still acquire players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    His best receiving year with the Jets was still only 21st in the NFL among RB's. His other years were pedestrian-like in receptions, especially his last year.

I never considered him a good receiving RB. I never considered him an all-around complete back. At least not with the Jets.
    He's not a receiving back, but he was a great runner and pass protector for us. We had Leon as a receiving back.

Tolbert was signed because Stewart is going to be looking for big money next offseason.

I would rather package picks and trade up and get Richardson since he complements Greene rather than toss Greene aside like he's trash and have to stick with Stewart.

This is the problem:

Upshaw, Ingram, Richardson, and Coples are better to trade up for and give up picks for than staying where you are and getting Best Available or addressing RT through the draft simply because RT we can address in FA.

FA Pass rushers or good RB's like Stewart are going to command big contracts in places where you don't necessarily want to spend.

I mean look at Wimbley's contract from Tennessee. Wimbley's good, but he's not worth what he got.

That's not factoring in, at all, that football games are won by QB's and in the trenches today. If you can't protect your QB, you're screwed.

With all this said, David Wilson is a strong 2nd round pick, too. Guy looks good.

Barron, Cordy Glenn, and Mike Adams are all strong, too, but Michael Floyd or even Stephen Hill fill huge needs for us as well and neither will be around in round 2. Neither will Courtney Upshaw.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

To be a good receiving back has a bit to do with the QB throwing it does it not?? Martin had Bledsoe,Vinny and Chad. Martins best receiving year was 2000 when he had 70 catches.. Hell Jordan had that many with a bad Oakland team.. Was he a complete back??