Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School tests in NY

School tests in NY

I am speechless. What is next?

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/out_of_the_question_YegJJGCOo33j0CQsccdZuL[/url]

In a bizarre case of political correctness run wild, educrats have banned references to “dinosaurs,” “birthdays,” “Halloween” and dozens of other topics on city-issued tests.

That’s because they fear such topics “could evoke unpleasant emotions in the students.”

Dinosaurs, for example, call to mind evolution, which might upset fundamentalists; birthdays aren’t celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses; and Halloween suggests paganism.

Even “dancing’’ is taboo, because some sects object. But the city did make an exception for ballet.

The forbidden topics were recently spelled out in a request for proposals provided to companies competing to revamp city English, math, science and social-studies tests given several times a year to measure student progress.

“Some of these topics may be perfectly acceptable in other contexts but do not belong in a city- or state-wide assessment,” the request reads.

Words that suggest wealth are excluded because they could make kids jealous. Poverty is likewise on the forbidden list.

Also banned are references to divorces and diseases, because kids taking the tests may have relatives who split from spouses or are ill.

Officials say such exclusions are normal procedure.

“This is standard language that has been used by test publishers for many years and allows our students to complete practice exams without distraction,” said a Department of Education spokeswoman, insisting it’s not censorship.

In fact, sensitivity guidelines recently published by a group of states creating new high-stakes exams also caution against mentioning luxuries, group dancing, junk food, homelessness or witches.

Yet a comparison shows the city’s list, at 50 topics, is nearly twice as long and has fewer exceptions.

The city asks test companies to exclude “creatures from outer space,” celebrities and excessive TV and video-game use — items that are OK elsewhere.

Homes with swimming pools and computers are also unmentionables here — because of economic sensitivities — while computers in the school or in libraries are acceptable.

City officials also specified that test makers shouldn’t include items that are potentially “disrespectful to authority or authority figures,” or give human characteristics to animals or inanimate objects.

Terrorism is deemed too scary. Slavery is also on the forbidden list.

“The intent is to avoid giving offense or disadvantage any test takers by privileging prior knowledge,” said Robert Pondiscio, a spokesman for the Core Knowledge Foundation, an education group.

“But the irony is they’re eliminating some subjects, like junk food, holidays and popular music, that the broadest number of kids are likely to know quite a lot about.”

Columbia University Teachers College professor Deanna Kuhn said, “If the goal is to assess higher-order thinking skills, controversial topics, for example, ones that are the subject of political debate, are exactly what students should be reasoning about.”

Future generations, soft, weak, meek, coddled and sensative.

Lets just say that if things continue, Global Climate Change will be the last of America's worries in 50 to 100 years. Weakness and internal strife/rot of the big formerly bas "Empire" on the world scene always ends the same way.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4417029]Future generations, soft, weak, meek, coddled and sensative. [/QUOTE]

Probably bad spellers, too. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Don't you dare criticize this.

The educators know better than you or anyone else.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Piper;4418727]Don't you dare criticize this.

The educators know better than you or anyone else.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Real educators don't make up these policies!!! Not teachers or principals. Not former educators with over 30 years experience in classrooms. Its the political elite. The Bloombergs, Gates, Oprahs, and Zuckerbergs who have their hands (an no educational experience) in education policy making.

These political elite will argue until they are blue in the face to feed children ammonia laced pink slime for lunch but you better not say "swimming pool" because this will hurt children!!!

Its why other countries laugh at our school system.

But I know, its still the teachers fault. Just give the kids ANOTHER te$t.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avkFUBzHSw8[/url]
    Last edited by copernicus; 03-31-2012 at 12:50 AM.

[SIZE="3"]Perhaps our millionare school teachers can fix the problem.[/SIZE]

[url]http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/03/26/surprising-job-that-gets-many-americans-into-the-millionaire-clu/[/url]

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/millionaire_teachers_0TAnsJddHXPrQi80FnIrXK[/url]
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 03-31-2012 at 09:08 AM.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4423456][SIZE="3"]Perhaps our millionare school teachers can fix the problem.[/SIZE]

[url]http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/03/26/surprising-job-that-gets-many-americans-into-the-millionaire-clu/[/url]

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/millionaire_teachers_0TAnsJddHXPrQi80FnIrXK[/url][/QUOTE]

LOL more educator millionaires than accountants.

as it should be.

[QUOTE=FF2®;4423573]LOL more educator millionaires than accountants.

as it should be.[/QUOTE]

Why? Our public schools are awful. Contracts negotiated with an entity that has zero bottom line. Health benefits that drive our own health care costs up.

An accountant runs a private business based on his own ability to attract clients. He doesnt rely on guaranteed money.

[QUOTE=Matt39;4423597]Why? Our public schools are awful. Contracts negotiated with an entity that has zero bottom line. Health benefits that drive our own health care costs up.

An accountant runs a private business based on his own ability to attract clients. He doesnt rely on guaranteed money.[/QUOTE]

You can never preach real world to the entitled bourguoise....;)

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4423456][SIZE="3"]Perhaps our millionare school teachers can fix the problem.[/SIZE]

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/millionaire_teachers_0TAnsJddHXPrQi80FnIrXK[/url][/QUOTE]

LOL, the voice FOR the political elite, the POST and Daily NEWS! These guys love to twist numbers and love writing articles for their friends in high places.

Did you hear the news? Teachers PAY into their own pensions!!!

You see we get a "decent pension" because we are asked to go back tp school and get more and more education. We also pay for this. You see for the past 100 years in this country we have been grossly underpaid so in our contracts, to compensate this, we were given the opportunity to PAY INTO our own retirement plans.

Oh, BTW, teachers also pay for their OWN SUPPLIES in the classroom. That's right, we pay to go to work!! Paper, chalk, erasers, ink for printing, etc (but that's for another discussion)

The group that is blaming teachers for all the country's woes seem to be acting a bit irrational. The way they are acting, it wouldn't surprise me that they could even go as far, one day, to try and convince people that ketchup is a vegetable and ammonia laced slime could pass as meat.

Yes, they care about the kids!!!..........:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=copernicus;4423694]LOL, the voice FOR the political elite, the POST and Daily NEWS! These guys love to twist numbers and love writing articles for their friends in high places.

Did you hear the news? Teachers PAY into their own pensions!!!

You see we get a "decent pension" because we are asked to go back tp school and get more and more education. We also pay for this. You see for the past 100 years in this country we have been grossly underpaid so in our contracts, to compensate this, we were given the opportunity to PAY INTO our own retirement plans.

Oh, BTW, teachers also pay for their OWN SUPPLIES in the classroom. That's right, we pay to go to work!! Paper, chalk, erasers, ink for printing, etc (but that's for another discussion)

The group that is blaming teachers for all the country's woes seem to be acting a bit irrational. The way they are acting, it wouldn't surprise me that they could even go as far, one day, to try and convince people that ketchup is a vegetable and ammonia laced slime could pass as meat.

Yes, they care about the kids!!!..........:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Daily news???? where?

Do the math...... you would need about $2 million to get a teachers pension and health insurance. The math is simple and irrefutable, opinions well, those are opinions. You believe it is deserved. Thats OK, your opinion. the funding of this $2 million is bankrupting towns and cities.

One of the studies was the Spectrum group,A well respected group. It was printed in the daily finance. NOT the daily news.

The other was an opinion piece with absolute mathematics supporting it.

the amount a teacher contributes to their own pension whether tier 3 or 4 would be so small.... not worthy of discussion.

I think teachers should be well paid. Here in NC they are not and they should be. But a LI gym teacher earning 120K retiring on 75K at 56 years old? Really?

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4423736]Daily news???? where?

Do the math...... you would need about $2 million to get a teachers pension and health insurance. The math is simple and irrefutable, opinions well, those are opinions. You believe it is deserved. Thats OK, your opinion. the funding of this $2 million is bankrupting towns and cities.

One of the studies was the Spectrum group,A well respected group. It was printed in the daily finance. NOT the daily news.

The other was an opinion piece with absolute mathematics supporting it.

the amount a teacher contributes to their own pension whether tier 3 or 4 would be so small.... not worthy of discussion.

I think teachers should be well paid. Here in NC they are not and they should be. But a LI gym teacher earning 120K retiring on 75K at 56 years old? Really?[/QUOTE]

Bro, have you been in a NYC public school classroom lately. So ridiculously over crowded, no support for students or teachers. Only about testing and making money off the backs of kids. I wish you had to the time to observe this. Your thoughts would be different on this subject if you did.

[QUOTE=copernicus;4423738]Bro, have you been in a NYC public school classroom lately. So ridiculously over crowded, no support for students or teachers. Only about testing and making money off the backs of kids. I wish you had to the time to observe this. Your thoughts would be different on this subject if you did.[/QUOTE]

Why is that relevant to the bankrupting of towns and cities?

[QUOTE=copernicus;4423738]Bro, have you been in a NYC public school classroom lately. So ridiculously over crowded, no support for students or teachers. Only about testing and making money off the backs of kids. I wish you had to the time to observe this. Your thoughts would be different on this subject if you did.[/QUOTE]

Why would it be any different? I think the premise here is we're more worried about making sure teachers have a comfy retirement rather than thinking whats best for the students at bad schools.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4423751]Why is that relevant to the bankrupting of towns and cities?[/QUOTE]

Because instead of monies going to the kids and teachers in the community they are going to consultants, outside sources, and companies who print, make workbooks for, grade, and distribute tests. Students today take test after test after test. It is disturbing to say the least what is happening. Lots of politically connected people making money off tax payers. The DOE under Bloomberg has the MOST employees by far making over $150,000 compared to other city agencies. Teachers aren't making this money. Then who is? Consultants, principals from Bloomberg's principal academy who have no experience in education and are just political friends of the billionaire.
    Last edited by copernicus; 03-31-2012 at 08:57 PM.

[QUOTE=Matt39;4423597]Why? Our public schools are awful. Contracts negotiated with an entity that has zero bottom line. Health benefits that drive our own health care costs up.

An accountant runs a private business based on his own ability to attract clients. He doesnt rely on guaranteed money.[/QUOTE]

an educator helps mold the minds of future generation.

An accountant counts beans.

[QUOTE=Matt39;4423782]Why would it be any different? I think the premise here is we're more worried about making sure teachers have a comfy retirement rather than thinking whats best for the students at bad schools.[/QUOTE]

Once again, the billionaires who control the media have pitted worker against worker.

The DOE of NYC under MICHAEL BLOOMBERG has the most employees making over $150,000 a year as compared to any other NYC civil servant job by far. Not one of these employees are teachers! Where is all this money going? Not to the kids but consultants for testing outside the NYC department of Ed.

Also..........

Under Michael Bloomberg's educational policies there have been hundreds of new schools opened BUT NO NEW BUILDINGS!! Let me explain, new schools have opened inside of already existing schools. The building I currently work in has TWO schools housed in it. For 50 years it was only ONE. What does this matter you ask? Now instead of ONE principal salary at $150,000 there are TWO at the same salary!! Add double the amount of assistant principals, secretaries, deans etc and you see where the money is going. Multiply this across the city and here is where your money is going. Want to know why? Bloomberg set up these "new" schools and ONLY gives principals from HIS private principals academy the positions. They are ALL political favors. Little to NO new principal in NYC has ANY experience in the classroom. Its a joke. Some school buildings have up to SIX smaller schools "housed" in them. But who do the political elite want to blame? The teachers pensions? Give me a break! Michael Bloomberg should be investigated for the money HE is ripping off with political favors in the name of principal positions in NYC. His friends in the media are working hand in hand. I can go on and on about this crook. Its a joke what this guy has been able to do. He uses the NYC public schools system as his own business.

[QUOTE=copernicus;4423932]Because instead of monies going to the kids and teachers in the community they are going to consultants, outside sources, and companies who print, make workbooks for, grade, and distribute tests. Students today take test after test after test. It is disturbing to say the least what is happening. Lots of politically connected people making money off tax payers. The DOE under Bloomberg has the MOST employees by far making over $150,000 compared to other city agencies. Teachers aren't making this money. Then who is? Consultants, principals from Bloomberg's principal academy who have no experience in education and are just political friends of the billionaire.[/QUOTE]

Spin it anyway that helps you. School teachers being millionaires is a fact, mostly at the expense of their neighborhood. sorry I can't change that for ya.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4424002]Spin it anyway that helps you. School teachers being millionaires is a fact, mostly at the expense of their neighborhood. sorry I can't change that for ya.[/QUOTE]

Ask yourself, who has more power to spin something, MAYOR MICHAEL BLOOMBERG or a teacher?............

Keep protecting the billionaires.

You're helping them continue to steal from you and I and the rest of the workers.

Mad at my pension? My summers off? Your anger should be directed at the political elite who are stealing monies that should be going to the right causes like the children and people of NYC (and other) public school systems. If the political elite weren't stealing hand over fist there would be more money in the system for everyone to be satisfied.

If the political elite werent stealing from us we wouldn't be feeding kids pink slime and debating whether or not ketchup is a vegetable.......;)

[QUOTE=copernicus;4424014]Ask yourself, who has more power to spin something, MAYOR MICHAEL BLOOMBERG or a teacher?............

Keep protecting the billionaires.

You're helping them continue to steal from you and I and the rest of the workers.

Mad at my pension? My summers off? Your anger should be directed at the political elite who are stealing monies that should be going to the right causes like the children and people of NYC (and other) public school systems. If the political elite weren't stealing hand over fist there would be more money in the system for everyone to be satisfied.

If the political elite werent stealing from us we wouldn't be feeding kids pink slime and debating whether or not ketchup is a vegetable.......;)[/QUOTE]
    My friend...I am not angry nor do I care that much. I solved thenissue, Imoved. I don't pay those taxes. I am simply saying that studies show teachers in NY are effectively millionaires.

I feel very sorry for young couples burdened by all the anger from teachers who still want more.

I say gym teachers should make 500K and let's really show Blomberg who's boss.