Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School tests in NY

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4424002]Spin it anyway that helps you. School teachers being millionaires is a fact, mostly at the expense of their neighborhood. sorry I can't change that for ya.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of spin. Millionaire teachers is a lot of hooey.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4424040]Speaking of spin. Millionaire teachers is a lot of hooey.[/QUOTE]

Take it up with the spectrum group who did the study. I have to go count my money now.

[url]http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/03/12-of-us-millionaires-are-educators/[/url]
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 04-01-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for them. Teaching is an important job and the good ones deserve whatever they get. I have had good teachers and bad teachers throughout HS and college and IMO the good ones still outweigh the bad ones by a large margin.

The problem with teachers is not what they get paid it is the fact that it is nearly impossible to get rid of the bad ones (that are tenured). They just get transferred if anything. But I think it is getting better. I dont think the union is as strong as it used to be.

I think people like to blame teachers for all the problems with education. And they are an easy target for the mobs of unhappy parents. IMO education starts at home. If you don't stay on top of your kids and take an active role in their education, then the teacher can only do so much. A teacher can't undo 15 yrs of backslapping and enabling in the 45 minutes they have with the child each day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4424040]Speaking of spin. Millionaire teachers is a lot of hooey.[/QUOTE]

It amazes me how far the side that bashes teachers will go.

Funny how teachers have dedicated their lives to work with children and are accused of not caring for them.

The political elite who, to this day, want to lessen child labor laws (see Newt), and revert back to the days of children as workers in factories, accuse teachers of not caring about kids and living extravagant lifestyles.

Yeah, ketchup is a vegetable, slime is really meat, and teachers dont care about kids.....got it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4424131]Good for them. Teaching is an important job and the good ones deserve whatever they get. I have had good teachers and bad teachers throughout HS and college and IMO the good ones still outweigh the bad ones by a large margin.

The problem with teachers is not what they get paid it is the fact that it is nearly impossible to get rid of the bad ones (that are tenured). They just get transferred if anything. But I think it is getting better. I dont think the union is as strong as it used to be.

I think people like to blame teachers for all the problems with education. And they are an easy target for the mobs of unhappy parents. IMO education starts at home. If you don't stay on top of your kids and take an active role in their education, then the teacher can only do so much. A teacher can't undo 15 yrs of backslapping and enabling in the 45 minutes they have with the child each day.[/QUOTE]

Thank you DDNY, I agree

I would also add that I am all for getting BAD teachers out of the classroom. But what is bad? Definitely if they are unsafe for kids. Top priority no doubt. After that it because very difficult to judge. Is too strict bad? Too liberal? Too conservative? Isnt this good for kids to see different perspectives? Test scores on poorly constructed exams? Levels of students? Socioeconomics? Language barriers? Health? So many factors with little answers.

Back to the issue of granted tenure. Teacher have a THREE YEAR preliminary period to be judged by their administrators. This is extremely long when you compare it to cops, firemen, sanitation, ets. An administrator does not have to grant tenure at the end of the THREE year period. Why dont they get any of the blame?

Lastly, if it weren't for tenure I would be out of a job no doubt. Not because I am a bad teacher but because I am now at top pay. The same group that bashes teachers could care less about the kids and only about the budget. The whole fight for "last in first out" was simply to get rid of salary. Is this how we will improve students for the future of our country? Getting rid of experienced teachers because they are at top pay while other positions outside the classroom with higher salaries are protected by the political elite who place them there?

Should we continue to allow this group of political elite, that deems ketchup a vegetable and slime a meat, the power to choose what a good teacher might be? Pretty scarey thought
    Last edited by copernicus; 04-01-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Administrators should take a lot of the blame here, I am willing to bet they are on the millionaire list as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4424151]Administrators should take a lot of the blame here, I am willing to bet they are on the millionaire list as well.[/QUOTE]

In the NYC public school system there are currently two types of administrators. The administrator that was once a teacher and worked their way up to administrator and the administrator that came through MICHAEL BLOOMBERG's PRINCIPAL ACADEMY with no teaching experience that are reeking havoc on the system, students and teachers.

So many administrative positions promised by Mayor Billionaire that he had to "create" new schools within already existing schools to create these positions. This is where the big money is going..............

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4424131]Good for them. Teaching is an important job and the good ones deserve whatever they get. I have had good teachers and bad teachers throughout HS and college and IMO the good ones still outweigh the bad ones by a large margin.

[B]The problem with teachers is not what they get paid it is the fact that it is nearly impossible to get rid of the bad ones (that are tenured). [/B]They just get transferred if anything. But I think it is getting better. I dont think the union is as strong as it used to be.

I think people like to blame teachers for all the problems with education. And they are an easy target for the mobs of unhappy parents. IMO education starts at home. If you don't stay on top of your kids and take an active role in their education, then the teacher can only do so much. A teacher can't undo 15 yrs of backslapping and enabling in the 45 minutes they have with the child each day.[/QUOTE]

This. Tenure is nonsense, produces coasting imo. And I fondlt remember great teachers I've had, going back to grade school, over 30 years ago. It's very, very diccicult job and you could not pay me enough to teach in SE DC or Baltimore, etc. Still, need to be able to weed out the chuckleheads.

Hmm, maybe Wayne Hunter is in the teachers union...:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4424174]This. Tenure is nonsense, produces coasting imo. And I fondlt remember great teachers I've had, going back to grade school, over 30 years ago. It's very, very diccicult job and you could not pay me enough to teach in SE DC or Baltimore, etc. Still, need to be able to weed out the chuckleheads.

Hmm, maybe Wayne Hunter is in the teachers union...:D[/QUOTE]

Tenure is not some type of impossible to defeat employment. If a manager does their job and documents the teacher's errors, then follows the correct way of firing it's not very difficult to accomplish.

Before the economy tanked teaching, police and fire were jobs for "the others", since Wall Street has f'd everyone now public service jobs are too high paying.

Stop *****in and file an application. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4424142]It amazes me how far the side that bashes teachers will go.

Funny how teachers have dedicated their lives to work with children and are accused of not caring for them.

The political elite who, to this day, want to lessen child labor laws (see Newt), and revert back to the days of children as workers in factories, accuse teachers of not caring about kids and living extravagant lifestyles.

Yeah, ketchup is a vegetable, slime is really meat, and teachers dont care about kids.....got it[/QUOTE]

When the president speaks of the top earners, union school teachers are in that club. Right, wrong whatever .....

Facts are well....facts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4424345]When the president speaks of the top earners, union school teachers are in that club. Right, wrong whatever .....

Facts are well....facts.[/QUOTE]

Teacher or the administrators? Let's see the facts.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4424142]It amazes me how far the side that bashes teachers will go.[/quote]

No further than the side that revels in Public-Union-based waste of taxpayer money and protection of bad teachers does.

[QUOTE]Funny how teachers have dedicated their lives to work with children and are accused of not caring for them. [/QUOTE]

Dedicated my ass. It's a job, no more, no less. A rather well-paying, benefit-heavy job at that, that only works 3/4 of the year.

Save the tear-filled "I only do it for the children" for the Lifetime Movie of the Week. The rose-colored-romanticization of teacher is just lol.

Maybe one teacher in a dozen, maybe two dozen, cmes close to your Norman Rockwell teacher propaganda piece, same as any other job.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4424120]Take it up with the spectrum group who did the study. I have to go count my money now.

[url]http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/03/12-of-us-millionaires-are-educators/[/url][/QUOTE]

"educators" is a very broad category. I would prefer to see the facts on "public school classroom teachers.

I am married to a teacher, and put us both together and we ain't no millionaires.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4424354]No further than the side that revels in Public-Union-based waste of taxpayer money and protection of bad teachers does.

Dedicated my ass. It's a job, no more, no less. A rather well-paying, benefit-heavy job at that, that only works 3/4 of the year.

Save the tear-filled "I only do it for the children" for the Lifetime Movie of the Week. The rose-colored-romanticization of teacher is just lol.

Maybe one teacher in a dozen, maybe two dozen, cmes close to your Norman Rockwell teacher propaganda piece, same as any other job.[/QUOTE]

I agree teachers tend to "over-romanticize" what they do at times, but you're nuts if you think teaching isn't a calling. People who think it's "just a job" don't tend to stay in it very long . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    the pressure on public employee pension funds to pay these unsustainable promises...as detailed by the times. with returns so low.... No choice but to RAISE property taxes on the people we care so much about. Or so we say.:rolleyes:

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/02/business/pension-funds-making-alternative-bets-struggle-to-keep-up.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4424354]No further than the side that revels in Public-Union-based waste of taxpayer money and protection of bad teachers does.

Maybe one teacher in a dozen, maybe two dozen, cmes close to your Norman Rockwell teacher propaganda piece, same as any other job.[/QUOTE]

Typical obnoxious speak from teacher bashers outside the school system. I have NEVER come across ANY TEACHER that chose to teach for the money. It's laughable to think this. Just about every teacher I know chose to teach initially because they wanted to help children. Also just about every teacher I know works some sort of second job and are not living extravagant lifestyles.

The few that chose to teach thinking it was "just a job" cant last.
    Last edited by copernicus; 04-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4424467]the pressure on public employee pension funds to pay these unsustainable promises...as detailed by the times. with returns so low.... No choice but to RAISE property taxes on the people we care so much about. Or so we say.:rolleyes:

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/02/business/pension-funds-making-alternative-bets-struggle-to-keep-up.html[/url][/QUOTE]

California paying 1 billion in fees alone, pension funds are fueling the financial community.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4424174]This. Tenure is nonsense, produces coasting imo. And I fondlt remember great teachers I've had, going back to grade school, over 30 years ago. It's very, very diccicult job and you could not pay me enough to teach in SE DC or Baltimore, etc. Still, need to be able to weed out the chuckleheads.

Hmm, maybe Wayne Hunter is in the teachers union...:D[/QUOTE]

Tenure was set up to protect the children from the political elite who look to fire the very best experienced teachers to cut budget. They are currently taking advantage of the economic state of our country and are trying to strike when the iron is hot. They pit worker against worker and from many of the posts in this thread it seems to be working. Sadly the ONLY press from the media on tenure is when it protects the very few teachers who abuse this.

If it werent for tenure there is no doubt in my mind that I'd be out of a job. Not based on my ability, but to cut budget on the backs of children. You see the political elite do not value good teachers, they get their friends in the media to write the worst articles about the few bad teachers in the system making it seem like it runs ramapant. These political elite are part of the same group that would feed students pink slime and claim that it is meat.

But I get it, its much easier to just blame teachers instead of the political elites who control a lot more.
    Last edited by copernicus; 04-01-2012 at 09:20 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4424456]I agree teachers tend to "over-romanticize" what they do at times, but you're nuts if you think teaching isn't a calling. People who think it's "just a job" don't tend to stay in it very long . . .[/QUOTE]

Teaching is no more a calling that any other profession for the vast majority engaged in it. I'll repeat, save the Lifetime Movie of the Week Cliches for others.

[QUOTE=copernicus;4424482]Typical obnoxious speak from teacher bashers outside the school system. I have NEVER come across ANY TEACHER that chose to teach for the money.[/quote]

Then you're either ignorant or a flat out full of **** liar. I'm voting "self serving liar".

[QUOTE]Just about every teacher I know chose to teach initially because they wanted to help children.[/QUOTE]

Bull**** kiddie-level sticky-sweet propaganda.

It's a job. Just like any other. Choosing it does not make one special, no matter how hard or how often those who engage in it try to make others think it does. And frankly, given the massive amount of my (taxpayers) money being spent on it, the stats would indicate you teachers are doing a pretty ****ty job outside a few rich neighborhoods here and there.

Maybe you just should stick to Tebow loathing threads.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4424502]
    It's a job. Just like any other. Choosing it does not make one special, no matter how hard or how often those who engage in it try to make others think it does. And frankly, given the massive amount of my (taxpayers) money being spent on it, the stats would indicate you teachers are doing a pretty ****ty job outside a few rich neighborhoods here and there.[/QUOTE]

Someone had to say it, lol.

I feel the same way about "serving" in the armed forces. It's a job.

Sent from my brain using Telepathy