Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School tests in NY

Jets Insider VIP
    Teaching.....

13 weeks off a year

5 hours a day of work during the 39 weeks not off

Average salary for this part time job over 100K

and apparently unlimited time available for 12 page term papers daily at JI on backup quarterbacks one hates for their religion

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=sg3;4424611]

5 hours a day of work

Average salary for this part time job over 100K[/QUOTE]

Link?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4424738]Link?[/QUOTE]

They cant all be administrators............

[url]http://rocdocs.democratandchronicle.com/database/school-employees-earning-least-100000[/url]

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4424759]They cant all be administrators............

[url]http://rocdocs.democratandchronicle.com/database/school-employees-earning-least-100000[/url][/QUOTE]

He said AVERAGE salary. :rolleyes:

And sorry, they don't work 5 hours a day, you know that.

[QUOTE=FF2®;4424738]Link?[/QUOTE]

Tell us again how teachers are just dedicated saint-martyrs who would teach those wonderful kids for free, nay, would PAY to be able to teach their calling, no matter the personal hardship, if it came down to it, and would NEVER do ANYTHING for the money.

Gosh no, Teachers are like Star Trek characters, they've evolved past such evils as icky icky money.

I love that one.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4424775]Tell us again how teachers are just dedicated saint-martyrs who would teach those wonderful kids for free, nay, would PAY to be able to teach their calling, no matter the personal hardship, if it came down to it, and would NEVER do ANYTHING for the money.

Gosh no, Teachers are like Star Trek characters, they've evolved past such evils as icky icky money.

I love that one.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh....The fish as we know and love.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4424773]He said AVERAGE salary. :rolleyes:

And sorry, they don't work 5 hours a day, you know that.[/QUOTE]

I am not even teacher bashing. We need good dedicated teachers.

But at the cost of bankrupting the towns they live in?

The pension / benefit liability per teacher, on average, exceeds $1.5 million the day they retire.

That is all I am saying and the math backs it up as do the cries of insolvency from the PUBLIC pension funds.

but too deny that thousands of NY teachers aren't millionaires and earning in far excess of $110,000 annually is simply denial.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 04-02-2012 at 01:04 PM.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4424775]Tell us again how teachers are just dedicated saint-martyrs who would teach those wonderful kids for free, nay, would PAY to be able to teach their calling, no matter the personal hardship, if it came down to it, and would NEVER do ANYTHING for the money.

I love that one.[/QUOTE]

You have me mixed up with someone else I think. While I believe its a very noble profession, I know its a career as well. They should try and make as much money as they possibly can. Just like you and I. After all they ate highly skilled and need a Master's degree.

My dispute is these $100,000 salary, millionaire stories. My wife has been teaching for 25 years, makes $72,000 (hasn't had a raise in 4 years) and we are not millionaires.
    Last edited by FF2®; 04-02-2012 at 06:09 PM.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4424930]I am not even teacher bashing. We need good dedicated teachers.

But at the cost of bankrupting the towns they live in?

The pension / benefit liability per teacher, on average, exceeds $1.5 million the day they retire.

That is all I am saying and the math backs it up as do the cries of insolvency from the PUBLIC pension funds.

but too deny that thousands of NY teachers aren't millionaires and earning in far excess of $110,000 annually is simply denial.[/QUOTE]

See my post above, also having a pension benefit liability certainly DOES NOT make someone a millionaire. "Millionaires" can leave millions to their kids, the day a teacher drops dead? That 1.5 million you speak of is erased from the states books. Voila!

[QUOTE=sg3;4424611]Teaching.....

13 weeks off a year

5 hours a day of work during the 39 weeks not off

Average salary for this part time job over 100K

and apparently unlimited time available for 12 page term papers daily at JI on backup quarterbacks one hates for their religion

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO!!!! Got me Sg3!!.......

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4425300]See my post above, also having a pension benefit liability certainly DOES NOT make someone a millionaire. "Millionaires" can leave millions to their kids, the day a teacher drops dead? That 1.5 million you speak of is erased from the states books. Voila![/QUOTE]

Why don't the unions agree with you and simply go to a defined benefit plan if you are so right?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4425295]You have me mixed up with someone else I think. While I believe its a very noble profession, I know its a career as well. They should try and make as much money as they possibly can. Just like you and I. After all they ate highly skilled and need a Master's degree.

My dispute is these $100,000 salary, millionaire stories. My wife has been teaching for 25 years, makes $72,000 (hasn't had a raise in 4 years) and we are not millionaires.[/QUOTE]

That seems very fair to me. On LI, in 1991 my daughters 1st grade teacher was making $72,0000 . LI is a far different story.......

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4425513]Why don't the unions agree with you and simply go to a defined benefit plan if you are so right?[/QUOTE]

That would be fine with me.

[QUOTE=FF2®;4425295]You have me mixed up with someone else I think. While I believe its a very noble profession, I know its a career as well. They should try and make as much money as they possibly can. Just like you and I. After all they ate highly skilled and need a Master's degree.

My dispute is these $100,000 salary, millionaire stories. My wife has been teaching for 25 years, makes $72,000 (hasn't had a raise in 4 years) and we are not millionaires.[/QUOTE]

$72,000 for a 8 month job (3/4 of a year).

With Benefits and other perks that (per Salary.com) reach up to $30,000 a year (Healthcare Plans alone is worth upwards of $12-$20,000 ayear nowadays, depending on plan and contribution level).

So, $102,000 total compensation for 8 months.

Yep, no $100,000 salaries here. More like an equivalent of $153,000 if it was a 12 month a year job, like most of us work.

Cry me a river for the poor downtrodden selfless money-ignoring teachers.

$72,000 for a 8 month job (3/4 of a year).

With Benefits and other perks that (per Salary.com) reach up to $20-30,000 a year. Healthcare alone is a $12-$20,000 a year benefit, depending on employee contribution levels.

Yep, no $100,000 salaries here. More like an equivalent of $153,000 if it was a 12 month a year job, like most of us work.

Cry me a river for the poor downtrodden selfless money-ignoring teachers.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4425530]That would be fine with me.[/QUOTE]

I meant defined contribution plan. IN NC a state college professor MUST put away 6 percent of their own salary. the state matches it. NO Further liability for the state. I am doing a financial plan for a professor who has around 500K in her account. NOT EASY to retire on 500 K. When you are 62 if you plan on living to 85 .

[QUOTE=Warfish;4425543]$72,000 for a 8 month job (3/4 of a year).

With Benefits and other perks that (per Salary.com) reach up to $20-30,000 a year. Healthcare alone is a $12-$20,000 a year benefit, depending on employee contribution levels.

Cry me a river for the poor downtrodden selfless money-ignoring teachers.[/QUOTE]

Do you think healthcare is free or do you think she contributes?

[QUOTE=Warfish;4425543]$72,000 for a 8 month job (3/4 of a year).

Cry me a river for the poor downtrodden selfless money-ignoring teachers.[/QUOTE]

No river crying wanted. I am simply responding to the claim about all the ,$100,000 "salaries" and the "millionaires that are tossed around as fact, when they are far from it.

If you would like to change the discussion to be about total compensation a packages or time off, feel free.
    Last edited by FF2®; 04-02-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4425575]No river crying wanted. I am simply responding to the claim about all the ,$100,000 "salaries" and the [B]"millionaires that are tossed around as fact, when they are far from it.[/B]

If you would like to change the discussion to be about total compensation a packages or time off, feel free.[/QUOTE]

The thousands of school teachers in NY earning WELL above 100K are listed below. Are these not real people or are facts in your world not facts? THOUSANDS of teachers in NY earn in FAR excess of 100K. I bet California, Illinois is not far behind.

[url]http://rocdocs.democratandchronicle.com/database/school-employees-earning-least-100000[/url]

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4425712]The thousands of school teachers in NY earning WELL above 100K are listed below. Are these not real people or are facts in your world not facts? THOUSANDS of teachers in NY earn in FAR excess of 100K. I bet California, Illinois is not far behind.

[url]http://rocdocs.democratandchronicle.com/database/school-employees-earning-least-100000[/url][/QUOTE]

An 8 month-a-year job.

Every single weekend off.

More Holidays than most Offices get and then some.

Total compensation reaching upwards of 100-150K a year.

And a system designed to make it very very hard to fire people from, even with cause or poor performance.

And some would make it sound like these workers (isn't that what we're called by our political leaders, workers?) are supposed to be poorly compensated?

The mistake, imo, by teachers is not choosing the work being teachers or enjoying their cushy (compared to many other workers who have equal education and job difficulty yet who work more hours, more months, more holidays, more weekends and more late nights for less compensation and less job security) situation......it's all the endless loud-mouthed whining about how poorly they're treated.

Put simply, if the job and compensation isn't to your liking, best of luck joining the rest of the workers, many of whom don't do nearly as well despite equal education and greater workload.