Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: School tests in NY

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4425712]The thousands of school teachers in NY earning WELL above 100K are listed below. Are these not real people or are facts in your world not facts? THOUSANDS of teachers in NY earn in FAR excess of 100K. I bet California, Illinois is not far behind.

[url]http://rocdocs.democratandchronicle.com/database/school-employees-earning-least-100000[/url][/QUOTE]

Across the country do you believe this to be the norm?

[QUOTE=FF2®;4425892]Across the country do you believe this to be the norm?[/QUOTE]

I did mention California, NY and Illinois right? I am on record as stating teachers in the south are underpaid right?

FACT: MANY MANY NY school teachers earn in excess of 100K for 7.5 months of work and recieve lifelong pensions in excess of 60K. Thats all I said and these are facts.

Hall Of Fame
    If teaching is such a "great job" and you can become a "millionaire" doing it, then why doesn't everyone try to become a teacher?

$100K is NY does not go as far as you think it does. A first year teacher on LI earns around $40-50K depending on the district. You have to have a college education to get this job. A college education that has to be paid for. I don't know what the average student loan debt is but I am sure it is a pretty penny. When you spend money on your education, don't you want to get a decent salary in return? Isn't that what they teach us from when we are children - to go to college so we can make something of ourselves?

Now if we want to attack the gov't pensions and the tenure process then I think that is all fair game. Social Security and gov't pensions are crippling this country, but that is not solely bc of teachers, there are many contributing factors to that problem. But as far as salaries are concerned, I think for the most part (for the average teacher) that money is well deserved.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 04-03-2012 at 11:55 AM.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4426112]If teaching is such a "great job" and you can become a "millionaire" doing it, then why doesn't everyone try to become a teacher?

$100K is NY does not go as far as you think it does. A first year teacher on LI earns around $40-50K depending on the district. You have to have a college education to get this job. A college education that has to be paid for. I don't know what the average student loan debt is but I am sure it is a pretty penny. When you spend money on your education, don't you want to get a decent salary in return? Isn't that what they teach us from when we are children - to go to college so we can make something of ourselves?

Now if we want to attack the gov't pensions and the tenure process then I think that is all fair game. Social Security and gov't pensions are crippling this country, but that is not solely bc of teachers, there are many contributing factors to that problem. But as far as salaries are concerned, I think for the most part (for the average teacher) that money is well deserved.[/QUOTE]

That is a VERY FAIR post. I agree with it.

Its not public salaries that are so much the issue..its the pensions that would literally CRIPPLE TO THE KNEES any private or fortune 500 company.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4426112]If teaching is such a "great job" and you can become a "millionaire" doing it, then why doesn't everyone try to become a teacher?

[/QUOTE]
    Many are. There is much more supply of teachers than demand, a sure sign that the compensation is out of balance.

[QUOTE=Piper;4427502]Many are. There is much more supply of teachers than demand, a sure sign that the compensation is out of balance.[/QUOTE]

BASIC ECONOMICS. Well thought out.

Same reason why 10,000 people apply to become Police officers on LI when there are 30 openings.... BASIC ECONOMICS. Because these 10,000 people cant make 1/2 of what a LI cop makes all things thrown in.