Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Autism Rates Increase Again

[QUOTE=dickkotite;4422488]chemicals, preservatives, steriods in our foods.

funny how the epidemic seems to line up with what the food industry has been serving us for the last 30 years[/QUOTE]

I think that it is the foods also. With some many of our foods now Genetically Modified it is hard to rule that out.

Seedless grapes? Fortified breakfast cereal?. Whole wheat bread?....and this is just the short list from the 'Natural' foods type stores.

The major corporations are taking over the much smaller 'natural foods' company's. This is causing a shrinking of the 'whole foods' and a growth of the gmo foods.

They want to give vaccines to people thru the gmo foods. This will increase profits for the corporations involved. Better watch what you eat and juice as much as possible

Some nations in the world will not allow gmo foods to be grown.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4425085]I hear you JW, and it really is pretty shocking.
    Personally I think its the 'over-vacciination' of US kids, even more so is the agressiive schedule; combined with multiple vaccinations in a single dose. It all screams out 'money for pharmaceutical companies' to me.[/QUOTE]

All I can say is that in Japan, autism rates kept rising equally with the rest of the first world after an abolishment of MRR-vaccinations, there was no connection whatsoever.
    Here is a new study that links gene-mutation to autism:
    [url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/health/research/scientists-link-rare-gene-mutations-to-heightened-risk-of-autism.html?src=me&ref=general[/url]

So we can hope that soon we will know more about what the possible causes are.

@ Microwaves: I also would not want to heat my house with a radiator, or have one in my car. Seems suspiciously named!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Raug;4427770]All I can say is that in Japan, autism rates kept rising equally with the rest of the first world after an abolishment of MRR-vaccinations, there was no connection whatsoever.
    Here is a new study that links gene-mutation to autism:
    [url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/health/research/scientists-link-rare-gene-mutations-to-heightened-risk-of-autism.html?src=me&ref=general[/url]

So we can hope that soon we will know more about what the possible causes are.
    [/QUOTE]

The MMR is the only vaccine that has ever been looked at. Hopefully one day they'll get around to looking at some others, maybe even the whole schedule. Additionally, the Yokohama study you referenced (I think) only showed a one year spike followed by a continued, predictable increase. That's the same argument epidemiologists are using to say that there ISN'T an increase in the first place, that they are just better at finding/diagnosing and broader criteria.

Gene mutations are simply the pathways that [I][U]could[/U][/I] lead to the development of the disorder, not the cause itself. Nature always loads the gun, it's usually the environment that pulls the trigger. Problem is, no one is really interested in looking for the trigger man.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4427811]The MMR is the only vaccine that has ever been looked at. Hopefully one day they'll get around to looking at some others, maybe even the whole schedule. Additionally, the Yokohama study you referenced (I think) only showed a one year spike followed by a continued, predictable increase. That's the same argument epidemiologists are using to say that there ISN'T an increase in the first place, that they are just better at finding/diagnosing and broader criteria.[/QUOTE]

The point of that study was to show that MMR or no MMR makes absolutely no difference in the rates of autism. The rates behaved just like in countries that had MMR.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Raug;4427819]The point of that study was to show that MMR or no MMR makes absolutely no difference in the rates of autism. The rates behaved just like in countries that had MMR.[/QUOTE]

I realize that, which was I said that I hope they look at the rest of the schedule instead of saying that the "question has been asked and answered; vaccines don't cause autism". It's one of the most irresponsible lies perpetrated on the world that I have ever heard.

Personally, I think MMR may be a culprit in [I][U]some[/U][/I] of the gastro problems that are commonly seen in autism. While vilified for his methods, Wakefield's science has proven the existence of a novel gastroenterological problem and has been replicated. Sadly the retractions by the BMJ, their numerous conflicts of interest and subsequent clearing of Wakefiekld's co-author never make the papers.

[QUOTE]Genetically modified foods…
    Are they safe?

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) doesn’t think so. The Academy reported that “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.

Before the FDA decided to allow GMOs into food without labeling, FDA scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. They urged long-term safety studies, but were ignored.

Since then, findings include:

Thousands of sheep, buffalo, and goats in India died after grazing on Bt cotton plants

Mice eating GM corn for the long term had fewer, and smaller, babies
    More than half the babies of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks, and were smaller

Testicle cells of mice and rats on a GM soy change significantly
    By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies

Rodents fed GM corn and soy showed immune system responses and signs of toxicity

Cooked GM soy contains as much as 7-times the amount of a known soy allergen

Soy allergies skyrocketed by 50% in the UK, soon after GM soy was introduced

The stomach lining of rats fed GM potatoes showed excessive cell growth, a condition that may lead to cancer.

Studies showed organ lesions, altered liver and pancreas cells, changed enzyme levels, etc.

Unlike safety evaluations for drugs, there are no human clinical trials of GM foods. The only published human feeding experiment revealed that the genetic material inserted into GM soy transfers into bacteria living inside our intestines and continues to function. This means that long after we stop eating GM foods, we may still have their GM proteins produced continuously inside us.

This could mean:

If the antibiotic gene inserted into most GM crops were to transfer, it could create super diseases, resistant to antibiotics

If the gene that creates Bt-toxin in GM corn were to transfer, it might turn our intestinal bacteria into living pesticide factories.

Although no studies have evaluated if antibiotic or Bt-toxin genes transfer, that is one of the key problems. The safety assessments are too superficial to even identify most of the potential dangers from GMOs. See our Health Risks brochure and State of the Science report for more details and citations.

Recent health studies provide growing evidence of harm from GMOs:

GM Corn Damages Liver and Kidneys
    Meat Raised on GM Feed is Different
    Roundup Could Cause Birth Defects
    Genetically Modified Soy Linked to Sterility
    Damaging Effects of Roundup
    GM Crops Do Not Increase Yields
    GMOs Inevitably Contaminate and Persist
    Industry Studies are Flawed[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers[/url]

[QUOTE]You may be wondering why some supposedly ‘healthy’ and ‘environmentally conscious’ companies deceive unknowing consumers into purchasing products with hidden additives and fillers. Perhaps one of the main reasons is that a large number of these pseudo-organic brands are owned by their very unhealthy ‘competitors’, such as Coca-Cola and General Mills. In fact, some of your favorite “All Natural” and organic companies may be owned by a corporate giant.

Companies like Honest Tea and Odwalla may appeal to health conscious shoppers, but they are actually owned by Coca-Cola — the very same company that is currently fuming over the requirement to change their recipes in order to avoid a cancer warning label. Another popular ‘health’ brand is Kashi, owned by the Kellogg corporation. It should come as no surprise that Kashi cereals have been found to contain a copious amount of GMOs and pesticides, according to an explosive report from the Cornucopia Institute. Kashi’s ’Heart to Heart Blueberry cereal’ was found to contain grains coated in the residue of many pesticides such as phosmet, carbaryl, azinphos methyl, malathion, chlorpyrifos methyl, chlorpyrifos. What’s more, the company’s products were found to oftentimes contain 100% genetically modified ingredients.

This information has been known for quite some time. Here’s a really revealing image from Michigan State University that reveals who really owns your favorite company. See if yours is owned by a corporate giant (click for full size):

[IMG]http://naturalsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/corporationchart.png[/IMG]

When viewing this information, it becomes much clearer as to why many ‘health food’ companies are deceiving you about the ingredients in their products. It’s time to move away from companies that have been bought up by corporations like Kraft and Coca-Cola and support independent organic brands that actually abstain from GMOs, pesticides, and hazardous additives. The fact of the matter is that these corporate giants know that people do not want to buy their health-crushing garbage anymore, and are making a last ditch effort to buy up phony health companies in order to secure their fortune.

That is why we see legitimate brands like New Chapter being grabbed by Proctor & Gamble. While pretending to be a part of the health movement, these corrupt ‘health’ brands are doing nothing but deceiving customers and wrecking the health of families worldwide. What they don’t expect is activism to completely financially suffocate their attempt at playing the good guys.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://naturalsociety.com/organic-food-industry-bought-up-by-corporations-like-coca-cola/#ixzz1rBASkrQa[/url]

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4427976][url]http://naturalsociety.com/organic-food-industry-bought-up-by-corporations-like-coca-cola/#ixzz1rBASkrQa[/url][/QUOTE]

Couple points. Procter and Gamble has divested itself of all food products as well as pharmaceuticals. Not profitable and risky.
    Companies like Kraft and Coca Cola are hardly hurting in their base business. Or overall. They develop (buy) new products to bulld their reportoire to the consumer and to maintain shelf/retail dominance. Am an owner of all three of the above so I track their doings closely. Organics exist but in general are not well liked because they do not appeal to the mass market. They are still a niche product.

BTW, we are on page three of this thread and there has been no mention (?) of recreational drugs. The significant increase in drug usage in the mid 60s on is coincident with a significant increase in autism. Not saying it is the cause but can it be dismissed? I will say this. Among my close group of friends from college, not one of us ever used any recreational drug. Not one has any autistic child either. Lots of kids.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4428044]
    BTW, we are on page three of this thread and there has been no mention (?) of recreational drugs. The significant increase in drug usage in the mid 60s on is coincident with a significant increase in autism. Not saying it is the cause but can it be dismissed? I will say this. Among my close group of friends from college, not one of us ever used any recreational drug. Not one has any autistic child either. Lots of kids.[/QUOTE]

Not to dismiss the impact recreational drugs can have on the development of diseases/disorders, but your timeline doesn't line up with the explosion in autism cases that we are seeing now. That cohort goes back to the late '80s/early '90s at the most. Prior to that autism was diagnosed at a rate somewhere around 1 in 10,000. Now, twenty years later it's more than 1% of kids in the US. With numbers like that, count your family and friends very fortunate to not be in this club.

Of course, diagnostic criteria changed and that had an influence on rates, but there must be another culprit. I personally believe three of the biggest are 1) the vaccine schedule as a whole and the Hepatitis B vaccine in particular, on susceptible subgroups; 2) the use of BpA in almost everything we give to a baby being thrown in a microwave and 3) Food dye and gluten.

[QUOTE=Jetworks;4428102]Not to dismiss the impact recreational drugs can have on the development of diseases/disorders, but your timeline doesn't line up with the explosion in autism cases that we are seeing now. That cohort goes back to the late '80s/early '90s at the most. Prior to that autism was diagnosed at a rate somewhere around 1 in 10,000. Now, twenty years later it's more than 1% of kids in the US. With numbers like that, count your family and friends very fortunate to not be in this club.

Of course, diagnostic criteria changed and that had an influence on rates, but there must be another culprit. I personally believe three of the biggest are 1) the vaccine schedule as a whole and the Hepatitis B vaccine in particular, on susceptible subgroups; 2) the use of BpA in almost everything we give to a baby being thrown in a microwave and 3) Food dye and gluten.[/QUOTE]

Again, I am not on authority on autism because, thank God, I never had any exposure to it in any immediate family or friends.
    Having had children and been involved at a time in the food industry, I have not seen many changes in ingredients. Relative to vaccines - has there been that big a change? My kids were getting all the same things children now get on vaccines.
    Microwavables foods is not an area that can be dismissed. Such appliances were not really around in volume until mid 80s.

Often in D.C., when there are meetings regarding the USDA/FDA and the corporations that produce/manufacture these products, the general public is not there to influence the meetings at all.

These corporations have strong lobby's and clearly they only have profits on their minds

[url]http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Watch-List/gmo-0707111239.html[/url]

[QUOTE]"The company also lobbied Congress and USDA on issues surrounding consolidation and antitrust law in agriculture ... The company also lobbied the U.S. Trade Representative and Department of State on issues surrounding foreign regulation and trade of biotech seeds."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4428138]Again, I am not on authority on autism because, thank God, I never had any exposure to it in any immediate family or friends.
    Having had children and been involved at a time in the food industry, I have not seen many changes in ingredients. Relative to vaccines - has there been that big a change? My kids were getting all the same things children now get on vaccines.
    Microwavables foods is not an area that can be dismissed. Such appliances were not really around in volume until mid 80s.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The use of microwave ovens was banned in Russia in 1976.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Disturbing%20Truths/microwaves.htm[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4428157][URL]http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Disturbing%20Truths/microwaves.htm[/URL][/QUOTE]

I am not disparaging your experiences or your quest for an answer. I totally understand and feel for you. My girlfriend teaches autistic kids and some of her stories are heartbreaking. If I were in your shoes I would leave no stone unturned.

That being said I don't think Russia in the 70's could really be considered the bastion of scientific research, especially on consumer products....

Lol @ source.
    My work web filter returned this:
    Access to this web page is not permitted Reason [COLOR=Red][/COLOR]
    URL [COLOR=Red][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Trades;4428182]I am not disparaging your experiences or your quest for an answer. I totally understand and feel for you. My girlfriend teaches autistic kids and some of her stories are heartbreaking. If I were in your shoes I would leave no stone unturned.

That being said I don't think Russia in the 70's could really be considered the bastion of scientific research, especially on consumer products....

Lol @ source.
    My work web filter returned this:
    Access to this web page is not permitted Reason [COLOR=Red][/COLOR]
    URL [COLOR=Red][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

LOL. It is true and it is on other links (lol).

[url]http://wakeup-world.com/2011/06/15/why-did-russia-ban-the-use-of-microwave-ovens/[/url]

I attempt to eat healthier each year. When I find data regarding a food I eat or a product I use I research it and get to a better solution.

Proper dieting is very difficult as there are more toxins around these days. Even when you are able to clear yourself of one toxin a new airborne one is assaulting your body.

Having survived the Camp Lejeune Cancer hazard ( I have two sons), I can understand what some parents may feel as they have children being born

Here are a few links that some may find helpful:

[url]http://thehealthcoach1.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.greenmedinfo.com/[/url]
    [url]http://naturalsociety.com/[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4428138]Again, I am not on authority on autism because, thank God, I never had any exposure to it in any immediate family or friends.
    Microwavables foods is not an area that can be dismissed. Such appliances were not really around in volume until mid 80s.[/QUOTE]

The use of food dyes and gluten have greatly increased over the last 3 decades. If I have time I'll try to source some info.

As for vaccines; yes, the schedule has expanded a great deal over that same time period. One of the worst additions has to be the Hep B shot that is given within 3 days of birth (often sooner than that).

Not all kiddos are the same, so just because one group has the same exposure as the other doesn't mean they will all react the same way. That is why I believe that there are susceptible sub-groups that are not being recognized/identified. Whether those susceptibilities are genetic, de novo, immunological or mitochondrial is up for debate. The problem is that the first one (genetics) is very expensive and mostly a dead-end as far as any treatment option.