Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ax Marine Who Put Obama on Jackass Poster

Jets Insider VIP

Ax Marine Who Put Obama on Jackass Poster

[QUOTE][url]http://www.newser.com/story/143500/prosecutor-toss-marine-who-put-prez-on-jackass-poster.html[/url]

A military board has determined that a Marine sergeant committed misconduct and should be dismissed because he posted derogatory comments and Facebook photos of President Obama. Marine Sgt. Gary Stein launched a Facebook page called the Armed Forces Tea Party, in which he slammed Obama, violating Pentagon rules banning criticism of superiors, including the commander in chief, the board decided. Among the attacks on the president, Stein superimposed Obama's face on a poster for the movie Jackass, and on a poster for The Incredibles, changing the name to "The Horribles," prosecutor Captain John Torresala revealed to the panel in a presentation yesterday.

The digs were "prejudicial to good order and discipline," Torresala argued. The board recommendation—which also urges a "less-than-honorable discharge" for the nine-year Marine—has been forwarded to a general, who will decide what action to take, reports AP. Stein's attorney had argued that his client "broke no law," and Stein has insisted all along that he has a right to free speech even while serving in the military. A military policy dating to the Civil War limits the free speech of service members. Members of the military may not support a political party, candidate, or cause while in uniform, nor speak contemptuously about their superiors.[/QUOTE]

Thought? Lolz....

Jets Insider VIP
    Oh this should be fun

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4428885]Oh this should be fun[/QUOTE]

I dont think so, biting your tongue about the commander-in-chief is as old as the military itself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Was he in uniform while typing on Facebook? Can that be proven?

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4428878]Thought? Lolz....[/QUOTE]

He signed up, and should have been aware of the rules when he did so.

He broke the rules, and faced the consequences.

No issue.

With that said, I don't particularly like the "no support, etc." rule, as it's something of a violation fo personal freedom, but again, you sign alot of that away when you choose to sign up for the services.

No issue at all. The rules forbid what he did. There are no First Amendment rights relative to the military. Do this in the civilian world to your boss or CEO and you're fired.
    He was wrong. He's done. Only question - a dishonorable or general discharge. Either way, the kiss of death.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4428902]With that said, I don't particularly like the "no support, etc." rule, as it's something of a violation fo personal freedom, but again, you sign alot of that away when you choose to sign up for the services.[/QUOTE]

I think the rule needs to be tweeked slightly. I don't see why someone who is serving can't voice opinions of FB...they ARE allowed to vote and thus have opinions on politics, especially since politics has quite an effect on their job.

Maybe he shouldn't have made the page......but it's kind of sh*tty that he's gonna receive a less than honorable discharge because of it. They could have reprimanded him and simply had him delete the page.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4428927]I think the rule needs to be tweeked slightly. I don't see why someone who is serving can't voice opinions of FB...they ARE allowed to vote and thus have opinions on politics, especially since politics has quite an effect on their job.

Maybe he shouldn't have made the page......but it's kind of sh*tty that he's gonna receive a less than honorable discharge because of it. They could have reprimanded him and simply had him delete the page.[/QUOTE]

The rule is basically that you can not have ANY political activity. You are allowed to vote and think what you want, you not "globally" express it. Military rules can be strict. It depends on the officer in charge of the unit. Not in this case though because the opinions were broadcast.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4428975]The rule is basically that you can not have ANY political activity. You are allowed to vote and think what you want, you not "globally" express it. Military rules can be strict. It depends on the officer in charge of the unit. Not in this case though because the opinions were broadcast.[/QUOTE]

I think where he went wrong was calling it the "Armed Forces" Tea Party Page...probably would've been better for him had he just left that part out.

the worst part is they weren't even funny.."The Horribles"? I would be embarrassed if a bad joke got me kicked out of the military.

You could have put him on the "Quick Change" poster and kept the title, and he would have been in a clown suit, that has to be better than "The Horribles"

Bewildered Beast
    Too bad that a guy whose training has cost the USA plenty will be dumped. He was pretttttty dumb to go against tradition.

Let me have a triple foam latte, there, Soldier Guy. Try not to **** it up, the way you butchered your career. :D

Total f'n idiot. How could anyone in the Armed Forces think that you can get away with publicly dissing the POTUS/CIC, when you can get into trouble for dissing a SNCO/NCO/Officer?

Furthermore, we are now in a 'draw down'. He made himself an easy target to dismiss. He was never given any unlawful orders, so how could he claim that 'if' he was given any?

If he wanted to make the FB page, he should have never notified the public that he was a Marine.

When one starts to draw lines in the sand, they should not be surprised when the ocean says 'go 'f' yourself'

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4428902]He signed up, and should have been aware of the rules when he did so.

He broke the rules, and faced the consequences.

No issue.

With that said, I don't particularly like the "no support, etc." rule, as it's something of a violation fo personal freedom, but again, you sign alot of that away when you choose to sign up for the services.[/QUOTE]

This

All League
    If I were President, I'd be calling up this General and ordering him to ignore the recommendation and dismiss the motion for a dishonorable discharge.

This cosmetic sh*t is annoying. If he was willing to fight, I don't give a sh*t if he criticizes the President on his facebook page.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4429069]If I were President, I'd be calling up this General and ordering him to ignore the recommendation and dismiss the motion for a dishonorable discharge.

This cosmetic sh*t is annoying. If he was willing to fight, I don't give a sh*t if he criticizes the President on his facebook page.[/QUOTE]

You might, but nobody else would. It's a bad precedent and represents a breakdown in discipline. What's a guy do next, flip off his commander?
    Lots of guys are willing to fight. There are other rules that need to be followed for a cohesive unit.

Pretty much in agreement here with most of you...

BUT, a dishonorable discharge for a 9 year vet who I'm assuming fought most of both wars wouldn't be right in this case...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4429109]Pretty much in agreement here with most of you...

BUT, a dishonorable discharge for a 9 year vet who I'm assuming fought most of both wars wouldn't be right in this case...[/QUOTE]

Those are the rules. It's not as if they made up this sentence after he did it. He must have known what the consequences would be. If not, ignorance is no excuse.

That said, he's now free to point out how stupid Obama is as much as he pleases.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4429116]
    That said, he's now free to point out how stupid Obama is as much as he pleases.[/QUOTE]

Someone needs to drag him in here to spice up the poli forum...

All League
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4429100]You might, but nobody else would. It's a bad precedent and represents a breakdown in discipline. What's a guy do next, flip off his commander?
    Lots of guys are willing to fight. There are other rules that need to be followed for a cohesive unit.[/QUOTE]

I see a distinction between flipping off a CO and criticizing the President on your facebook page.

But whatever, we'll see what happens with this...

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4429129]I see a distinction between flipping off a CO and criticizing the President on your facebook page.

But whatever, we'll see what happens with this...[/QUOTE]

The UCMJ has strict laws and the Marine Corps is not the place to test them.

Active military duty is exactly that, you are never off duty. I've witnessed fellow Marines get in a lot if trouble for very minimal things compared to civilian life.

Plus, you gotta love a recruiter who complains about other people being dishonest. :D