Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Vikings approach Jets about Sanchez

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    The Brett Favre experiment worked the first year. They should have went to the Super Bowl if it wasn't for Adrian Peterson's fumbles.
    it also showed how good a QB could play after Schott, the OC in Minny knows this and wanted to pull a fast one on Tanny or this report is BS

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Reed View Post
    Why not? All it would take would be restructuring a few veteran contracts and they'd be under the cap.

If the Jets were to trade Sanchez, it shows that they are rebuilding. They'd likely get a couple of 2013 draft picks for him. Restructure a few veteran contracts, or just lop off some dead weight this season. Take their lumps with Tebow this year, then start fresh in 2013 with plenty of cap space and a boatload of upper round picks.
    Who are we going to cut? $13M is a lot of space to free up.

Scott and Pace, who would have been the most likely candidates, both have fully guaranteed deals for this year. If we were going to acquire multiple draft picks, they eat up cap space too.

To free up $13M, we cut:

Keller
    Moore
    Slauson
    Devito
    Smith

Then we'd have to replace those 5 guys with about $4M in cap space.

Like I keep saying, not happening. Which is why you haven't heard anyone with any legitimacy even hint at anything. Dino's "source" is incarceratedbob.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I can't take these posters anymore.
    Just using common sense tells you that Sanchez and the 16th does not get you the #3 overall pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post

Scott and Pace, who would have been the most likely candidates, both have fully guaranteed deals for this year. If we were going to acquire multiple draft picks, they eat up cap space too.

To free up $13M, we cut:

Keller
    Moore
    Slauson
    Devito
    Smith

Like I keep saying, not happening. Which is why you haven't heard anyone with any legitimacy even hint at anything. Dino's "source" is incarceratedbob.
    Tebow can take over all those positions

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Tebow will be the Jets starting QB by week 5.
    No way.

week 4 at the latest.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    https://twitter.com/#!/DINOCOSTA

Reported by Dino Costa. He has a show on Sirius.

Take it for what it's worth.
    That's the freak that joined JI a number of years ago, made a bunch of bold guarantees about personnel moves that the Jets were going to make, none of them came true, and of course he was never heard from since.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just using common sense tells you that Sanchez and the 16th does not get you the #3 overall pick.
    Only if Mangini was the Vikings' GM.

This is a fantasy thread. If you play Madden's football, you believe this stuff.

It's fun to play along.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I'll be a fan of another team in week6.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

To free up $13M, we cut:

Keller
    Moore
    Slauson
    Devito
    Smith

Tanny's a master at working the salary cap.

Once the Jets and Vikings agree on compensation for Sanchez, Tanny will have to re-work a few contracts which will probably take a week or so.

But, he'll get 'er done.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is really starting to concern me. For once, why can't Woody, Tanny, or Rex just speak up and remind us again that they're committed to Sanchez as a starter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Here is a good deal.

Scott and Sanchez for Ponder and 1st round pick swaps.

lol ... idk if ur serious but i see no way they would do that...im pretty sure they are going to want to keep ponder on the roster.

i'd say if this were to happen it would be sanchez and our first for their first and possibly a later round pick. if we could somehow (which i doubt), get ponder out of the deal i'd honestly pull the trigger in a heartbeat...i like what i saw from last year

and tbh, i think sanchez would do really well in minnesotta.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    This is really starting to concern me. For once, why can't Woody, Tanny, or Rex just speak up and remind us again that they're committed to Sanchez as a starter.
    I'm concerned too. Sanchez is far from being a great QB. I don't think he has enough of what it takes (skill+leadership+intangibles) to be great. I hope he can just be GOOD.

Tebow....he'll never even be a good QB because he can't throw accurately or consistently.

We have people on this board who would rather have Tebow than Sanchez as the QB?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's terrifying how many posters on this board are so eager to dump Sanchez and leave Tebow as our new "franchise" quarterback. It's well known that I am one of the biggest Tebow haters on the board, but the fact of the matter is that Sanchez has a stronger arm than Tebow and Tebow's stats for the last few games of the year were not as impressive as during their win streak because teams were prepared for the Broncos to run the wildcat.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And to think, someone on here actually posted this past week, that you were pretty intelligent and then you bring this to the table.
    They should have said, "pretty intelligent for a Texan or a Patsie Fan".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tanny's a master at working the salary cap.

Once the Jets and Vikings agree on compensation for Sanchez, Tanny will have to re-work a few contracts which will probably take a week or so.

But, he'll get 'er done.
    You have no idea how this works, do you?

You can get a team-friendly restructure when you have leverage on the player. That leverage is usually "restructure or we'll cut you."

We can't cut any of our big earners this year. Seriously, look at this year's cap page. Of our top 10 earners for this year, we would take a hit for cutting 9 of them. We would take a hit of at least $9M for 6 of those 9.

Again, we're not talking about freeing up 2 or 3 million. $13M needs to be cleared.

Remember the list of guys we could cut? Those are the same guys that we save money on by extending/re-structuring. Mangold and Brick already have favorable cap numbers for this year (which become not so favorable starting in 2013). You think you're going to get Revis to add more years onto his deal? Good luck with that one. Do you want to extend Pace or Scott, old players on the decline? Do you want to extend Cromartie, a corner with sloppy technique who most don't believe is going to hold up very well when he loses some of his athleticism? (His contract is currently structured so that we can dump him after 2013 for that reason. Any extension would probably make him uncuttable for another 2 years. You want 31 year old Cromartie making $10M in 2015?)

Harris is the one guy we might be able to do something with, but I don't think we're allowed to touch his contract until August. If that's the case, then he's off the table as well.

I know that, to you, it seems like Tanny magically creates cap space from out of nowhere. But that's not actually how it works. We have very little cap flexibility at the moment because we just got done handing out a series of very large contract extensions. We have more guys making $8M+ per year than any other team in the league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    That's the freak that joined JI a number of years ago, made a bunch of bold guarantees about personnel moves that the Jets were going to make, none of them came true, and of course he was never heard from since.
    Ah, I knew I recognized this clown's name. I think he predicted the Jets were going to trade for Jay Cutler? I'll have to go do a search

Edit: He reported the Jets had an agreement to trade John Abraham for Philip Rivers

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...ght=Dino+Costa
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 04-08-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have no idea how this works, do you?

You can get a team-friendly restructure when you have leverage on the player. That leverage is usually "restructure or we'll cut you."

We can't cut any of our big earners this year. Seriously, look at this year's cap page. Of our top 10 earners for this year, we would take a hit for cutting 9 of them. We would take a hit of at least $9M for 6 of those 9.

Again, we're not talking about freeing up 2 or 3 million. $13M needs to be cleared.

Remember the list of guys we could cut? Those are the same guys that we save money on by extending/re-structuring. Mangold and Brick already have favorable cap numbers for this year (which become not so favorable starting in 2013). You think you're going to get Revis to add more years onto his deal? Good luck with that one. Do you want to extend Pace or Scott, old players on the decline? Do you want to extend Cromartie, a corner with sloppy technique who most don't believe is going to hold up very well when he loses some of his athleticism? (His contract is currently structured so that we can dump him after 2013 for that reason. Any extension would probably make him uncuttable for another 2 years. You want 31 year old Cromartie making $10M in 2015?)

Harris is the one guy we might be able to do something with, but I don't think we're allowed to touch his contract until August. If that's the case, then he's off the table as well.

I know that, to you, it seems like Tanny magically creates cap space from out of nowhere. But that's not actually how it works. We have very little cap flexibility at the moment because we just got done handing out a series of very large contract extensions. We have more guys making $8M+ per year than any other team in the league.
    You're taking normal football logic and common sense and trying to apply that to the Jets. No can do.

Tanny will find a way!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're taking normal football logic and common sense and trying to apply that to the Jets. No can do.

Tanny will find a way!
    I give up.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Tanny will find a way!
    HEY TANNY, I THOUGHT YOU SAID SANCHEZ WAS OUR STARTER. WHAT?? YOU'VE ONLY BEEN TELLING US THAT THE ENTIRE OFFSEASON.

The Jets FO needs to be honest.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Ah, I knew I recognized this clown's name. I think he predicted the Jets were going to trade for Jay Cutler? I'll have to go do a search

Edit: He reported the Jets had an agreement to trade John Abraham for Philip Rivers

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...ght=Dino+Costa
    Ah, what a fond memory to look back on! As I recall, the guy made a few guarantees, people asked him if his sources were 100% valid, and then he basically made vulgar personal attacks to anybody that dared to question his guarantees. Of course none of them came to fruition, and he was never to be heard from again here.

Also, the idea that the Jets could Sanchez is foolish, he doesn't have nearly enough trade value to where it would make any sense for the Jets to want to do it, given the fact that they have a #5 overall pick, and a new contract extension invested in him.