Thread: Study Finds Autism Could Be Linked To Obesity During Pregnancy

Jets Insider VIP

Study Finds Autism Could Be Linked To Obesity During Pregnancy

[B]Study Finds Autism Could Be Linked To Obesity During Pregnancy[/B]

[QUOTE]
    [B](CBS) –[/B] A new study out today raises some serious concerns about unborn babies and the potential for autism.

CBS 2′s Marissa Bailey reports the results of the study – conducted by researchers at the MIND Institute at the University of California Davis – are among the first linking [URL="http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/09/study-finds-autism-could-be-linked-to-obesity-during-pregnancy/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]obesity[/COLOR][/URL] and autism.

Although there was no proof that obesity causes autism, [URL="http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2012/04/04/peds.2011-2583.abstract"]researchers found a possible link between obesity in pregnant women, diabetes, and autism.[/URL] The numbers are quite telling.

Researchers looked at 1,000 [URL="http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/09/study-finds-autism-could-be-linked-to-obesity-during-pregnancy/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]mothers[/COLOR][/URL] and their children, and found that moms who were obese during pregnancy were 67 percent more likely to have a child with autism, compared to women who were considered to be a normal weight.

Researchers said up-and-down sugar levels during pregnancy might affect the unborn baby.

UC Davis professor Dr. Irva Hertz-Picciotto said, “There’s a general feeling that some of the origins of autism are probably in the prenatal period, when the brain is developing at a very rapid rate.”

It’s not just obesity that researchers say might affect an unborn baby. Results show mothers with diabetes during pregnancy also increase the chance of their child developing a form of autism.

The numbers show they are more than twice as likely to have a child with developmental delays, and low scores on language and communication tests.

Still, the findings are significant.

“If this does turn out to be a causal relationship, that there are actions that people can actually take, and that’s the point, is we’re trying to find modifiable factors – which, by and large, genetics is not,” Hertz-Picciotto said.

Doctors said the study does not prove that obesity and diabetes cause autism, but the findings are considered alarming.

The U.S. [URL="http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/09/study-finds-autism-could-be-linked-to-obesity-during-pregnancy/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]Centers[/COLOR][COLOR=darkgreen] [/COLOR][COLOR=darkgreen]for[/COLOR][COLOR=darkgreen] [/COLOR][COLOR=darkgreen]Disease[/COLOR][COLOR=darkgreen] [/COLOR][COLOR=darkgreen]Control[/COLOR][COLOR=darkgreen] [/COLOR][COLOR=darkgreen]and[/COLOR][COLOR=darkgreen] [/COLOR][COLOR=darkgreen]Prevention[/COLOR][/URL] now estimate one in 88 children have autism in the U.S. More than one-third of American women in their childbearing years are considered obese.
    [/QUOTE]

and when i said food was the reason for autism i was goofed on.....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=dickkotite;4431742]and when i said food was the reason for autism i was goofed on.....[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://59daysofcode.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm-150x150.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    This is, to date, the second most ridiculous autism causation study I've read.:zzz:

I love the fact that these researchers wait until Autism Awareness month to announce their findings. What is this, the 3rd or 4th study announced this month? They did the same sh!t last year. But yea, it's not a political football or anything, right?:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4431836]This is, to date, the second most ridiculous autism causation study I've read.:zzz:

I love the fact that these researchers wait until Autism Awareness month to announce their findings. What is this, the 3rd or 4th study announced this month? They did the same sh!t last year. But yea, it's not a political football or anything, right?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

1) No part of the study assigns obesity as a [I]cause[/I] of autism

2) What's your problem with the study? The clear display of numbers showing a [I]possible[/I] link? As opposed to the many out there that do assign causation with no such data?

3) Is it not worth looking into if there is a possible connection? Or is obsesity already dismissed in your mind? Based on what?

4) Is it a bad thing that these articles are coming out? Isn't that the entire point of Autism Awareness Month? To bring [I]awareness[/I] to the public? Would you rather autism is never spoken of?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4431836]This is, to date, the second most ridiculous autism causation study I've read.:zzz:

I love the fact that these researchers wait until Autism Awareness month to announce their findings. What is this, the 3rd or 4th study announced this month? They did the same sh!t last year. But yea, it's not a political football or anything, right?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Its all about funding which comes back to this article I posted a while back. [URL="http://reason.com/archives/2012/04/03/can-most-cancer-research-be-trusted"]Can Most Cancer Research Be Trusted?[/URL] [B]Addressing the problem of "academic risk" in biomedical research[/B] [URL]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243154[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4431844]1) No part of the study assigns obesity as a [I]cause[/I] of autism[/QUOTE]

Quite right, it's only strongly intimated that it may be a causal relationship and worth exploring further.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4431844]2) What's your problem with the study? The clear display of numbers showing a [I]possible[/I] link? As opposed to the many out there that do assign causation with no such data? [/QUOTE]

I have a problem with studies that look at largely inane possible causation scenarios like the weight of the mom or whether dad is over 35 instead of looking at what could be causing these miraculous de novo gene [I]mutations[/I] that keep popping up. For every case of the latter I can easily show study upon study that looks at MRI imaging of some sort. Over, and over, and over again. Your research dollars at work!!!

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4431844]3) Is it not worth looking into if there is a possible connection? Or is obsesity already dismissed in your mind? Based on what?[/QUOTE]

I feel that there are far more likely risk factors that need to be looked at considering that over 1% of the children in the US have an ASD. That pragmatic way of thinking makes even more sense when you breakdown the prevalence numbers further up against this "study"; because that would mean that there must be a higher incidence of fat moms in NJ as opposed to say Alabama, given those states numbers. Like I said, it's a silly study for the MIND Institute to be throwing NIH(?) money at. Should everything be looked at? Sure, why not. But like they say in medical school, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. This study is a zebra.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4431844]4) Is it a bad thing that these articles are coming out? Isn't that the entire point of Autism Awareness Month? To bring [I]awareness[/I] to the public? Would you rather autism is never spoken of?[/QUOTE]

The point of Autism Awareness month is to bring about awareness and understanding of the condition, not to draw attention to the studies that answer very little. Hell, they can't even come up with a viable theory of etiology, but they can ferret out missing protein molecules that [I]may[/I] lead to susceptibility in [I]1% of all ASD cases[/I]? This study does not bring awareness, it's basically just another variation of the "refrigerator mother" theory posited by Bruno Bettelheim all those decades ago. That was, coincidentally, put forth utilizing epidemiological methods in the absence of an actual disease. As for the timing, I find it a bit irresponsible to not share data when you have it, instead choosing to release it when it lines up with a non-scientific observation meant to bring about understanding and awareness to layman. Don't you think it seems...manipulative and selfish?

I'll treat the last question you put forth as the non sequitur it is JP, with all due respect.

[QUOTE=Trades;4431847]Its all about funding which comes back to this article I posted a while back. [URL="http://reason.com/archives/2012/04/03/can-most-cancer-research-be-trusted"]Can Most Cancer Research Be Trusted?[/URL] [B]Addressing the problem of "academic risk" in biomedical research[/B] [URL]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243154[/URL][/QUOTE]

Yes, I remember this. There is an equally interesting article about the state of peer review. I'll see if I can find it...

EDIT- best I could do on short notice:

[url]http://www.fish.washington.edu/research/oldenlab/pdf/2006/BioScience_2006.pdf[/url]

And if you look around you may be able to find a copy of this book out there:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Trouble-Medical-Journals-Richard-Smith/dp/1853156736/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235661618&sr=8-1%E2%80%9D[/url]
    Last edited by Jetworks; 04-10-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4431895]
    I have a problem with studies that look at largely inane possible causation scenarios like the weight of the mom or whether dad is over 35 instead of looking at what could be causing these miraculous de novo gene [I]mutations[/I] that keep popping up.[/QUOTE]

But that is exactly what they are doing. Novo gene mutations occur somewhere before or just after conception. So looking at the parents health is a major factor, considering that the mutations often occur in the egg or sperm cell even before fertilization.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Raug;4431986]But that is exactly what they are doing. Novo gene mutations occur somewhere before or just after conception. [B]So looking at the parents health is a major factor, considering that the mutations often occur in the egg or sperm cell even before fertilization.[/B][/QUOTE]

De novo mutation, a genetic mutation that neither parent possessed nor transmitted.

De novo gene mutations on this scale would be unprecedented. The likeliest culprit is some environmental component coupled with a genetic, immunological or mitochondrial susceptibility. Why that isn't being looked at harder, especially considering how much cheaper it is relative to genetic research, is mind-boggling.