Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers(1) vs. Ottawa Senators(8): Eastern Conference Quarterfinals

All Pro

New York Rangers(1) vs. Ottawa Senators(8): Eastern Conference Quarterfinals

Will edit later with thoughts/videos/predictions/life thoughts

Game 1: Thursday April 12 7:00 @ Madison Square Garden
    Game 2: Saturday April 14 7:00 @ Madison Square Garden
    Game 3: Monday April 16 7:30 @ Scotiabank Place
    Game 4: Wednesday April 18 7:30 @ Scotiabank Place
    Game 5*: Saturday April 21 7:00 @ Madison Square Garden
    Game 6*: Monday April 23 TBD @ Scotiabank Place
    Game 7*: Thursday April 26 TBD @ Madison Square Garden

JetsInsider.com Legend
    My first thought is: hold serve.

The Rangers HAVE to use MSG to their advantage. Especially since they have home ice over every team not named Vancouver.

All Pro
    Kreider signed

Rangers in 6

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Kreider signed
    Holy crap! I didn't see that!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Rangers in 6
    Make it 5 and we have a deal!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Make it 5 and we have a deal!
    Im thinking 4...........

Jets Insider VIP
    is Kreider eligible to join the big club right away?

if so, that would be very interesting.

Ott has given the Blueshirts problems in recent history but these are THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS -- a whole different hockey season....

RANGERS IN 5

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    is Kreider eligible to join the big club right away?

if so, that would be very interesting.

Ott has given the Blueshirts problems in recent history but these are THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS -- a whole different hockey season....

RANGERS IN 5
    Yup. The minute he stepped on the practice ice yesterday, his first year of his ELC evaporated. They wouldn't do that unless they planned to use him.

Rangers in 6. Still nervous. Kreider will not play unless there is an injury or Rangers cannot net one.

Have a big smile on my face after Pitt blew a 3 - 0 lead last night. God, I love playoff hockey. Pumped up big time!

Lets go Rangers!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedy fried Toon View Post
    Rangers in 6. Still nervous. Kreider will not play unless there is an injury or Rangers cannot net one.

Have a big smile on my face after Pitt blew a 3 - 0 lead last night. God, I love playoff hockey. Pumped up big time!

Lets go Rangers!
    Me too. Lets go Rangers! I'm pumped!

All Pro
    Great win last night -- always good for the higher ranked team to set the tone for the series (unlike the Canucks and Blues)... I was nervous during the first period but they exploded in the second. Good to see Brian Boyle getting into the mix. Lundqvist was great until the game was out of reach.

Hopefully this is an example of what to expect for the rest of the series.

Good start. Great coaching manuever by Torts using that timeout early on allowing the team to collect themselves. Loved the line of Callahan, Arty and Stepan as they provided the most consistent offense and forecheck pressure. Very impressed with Arty's play on both ends of the ice. Hope he can continue to play that way throughout the series.

The forecheck pressure will be the key for this series. Once the Rangers asserted themselves on the forecheck Ottawa turned a lot of pucks over. In fact, I think 3 of the 4 goals came on Ottawa turnovers below the hashmarks.

Lets go Rangers!

JetsInsider.com Legend

Lets go Rangers!
    I'm not crazy about the Kreider signing if he's not going to play.

If he doesn't, they will waste a whole year of his entry level contract with nothing to show for it.

I can see him taking Mitchell's spot. It would mean a little line shuffling since Mitchell is playing C and Kreider's a LW. Rupp would be the ideal man out but I think Torts is too dependent on him because of his playoff experience.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Good start. Great coaching manuever by Torts using that timeout early on allowing the team to collect themselves. Loved the line of Callahan, Arty and Stepan as they provided the most consistent offense and forecheck pressure. Very impressed with Arty's play on both ends of the ice. Hope he can continue to play that way throughout the series.

The forecheck pressure will be the key for this series. Once the Rangers asserted themselves on the forecheck Ottawa turned a lot of pucks over. In fact, I think 3 of the 4 goals came on Ottawa turnovers below the hashmarks.

Lets go Rangers!
    You're right. Forecheck pressure is the key. Ottawa had one of the worst defenses in the league and that's the key to beating them. I was surprised to see the Rangers still wheeling and dealing with a 4 goal lead and not using more of a trap. The refereeing I thought was terrible. Even Bettmann admitted on his radio show earlier in the day yesterday that there have been some wrong/missed calls so far. I can't believe the putz admitted it publicly. Last night was no exception. Fortunately it didn't affect the outcome. I can see Ottawa in Game 2 resorting to some "pick plays" to keep the Rangers forecheckers from getting in on the D. If I was Torts, I'd be priming the refs before the game to look for that crap.

Edit: What I meant to say was that the Rangers were too "loosey goosey" defensively in the last 10 minutes of the game.
    Last edited by Jordy; 04-13-2012 at 01:13 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    By the way, I don't know if anyone was at the Garden or heard it on TV, but as Gaborik was emerging from the side wall and was skating in on Anderson to score his goal, the fans were in the middle of a "These refs suck" chant (after Richards was hauled down in the Senators zone) and it immediately transitioned into to a roar with the goal. Pretty funny stuff.

I'm not crazy about the Kreider signing if he's not going to play.

If he doesn't, they will waste a whole year of his entry level contract with nothing to show for it.

I can see him taking Mitchell's spot. It would mean a little line shuffling since Mitchell is playing C and Kreider's a LW. Rupp would be the ideal man out but I think Torts is too dependent on him because of his playoff experience.
    I think that's why Mitchell is safe. He is a center and I can't see the Rangers taking the risk of dressing only 3. The only scenario they might sit Mitchell or Rupp for that matter is if they're up 3-0 in a series.

You can't worry too much about the wasted year of the ELC. Kreider is there for depth protection in case a forward goes down and that's fine. The playoffs are very physical and the Rangers are fortunate to have a guy like that waiting in the wings. In the meantime he's learning the intensity of playoff hockey.

I'd love to see Kreider get some game action but even if he gets a game he's probably not seeing any more than 10-12 minutes and probably nothing in the 3d of a tight game.

Edit: What I meant to say was that the Rangers were too "loosey goosey" defensively in the last 10 minutes of the game.
    The reffing was terrible. I agree.

I much rather have the rangers play loose defensively with a four goal lead then play overly defensive and only send one or two in on the forecheck. Pens vs. Philly is case in point.

Ottawa can score in bunches but the Rangers are the better team. I say stick to the game plan regardless of the score and let the Rangers depth and strength (forcheck) punish the Ottawa d into submission.

All Pro
    I don't care how nice his assist was on the second goal, Del Zotto should be tarred and feathered for that own goal. Ugh, last nights game was gross.

Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    I think that's why Mitchell is safe. He is a center and I can't see the Rangers taking the risk of dressing only 3. The only scenario they might sit Mitchell or Rupp for that matter is if they're up 3-0 in a series.

You can't worry too much about the wasted year of the ELC. Kreider is there for depth protection in case a forward goes down and that's fine. The playoffs are very physical and the Rangers are fortunate to have a guy like that waiting in the wings. In the meantime he's learning the intensity of playoff hockey.

I'd love to see Kreider get some game action but even if he gets a game he's probably not seeing any more than 10-12 minutes and probably nothing in the 3d of a tight game.
    Hope Kreider can step up now. Hagelin suspended for 3 games.