Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Serious political question

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4433716]All great questions. You sound very lawyerly. LOL. In college, one of my profs gave me great advice. Ask tons of tough questions but make few statements. Sounds like you.
    BTW, responded to your "private".[/QUOTE]

:D

Thanks

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4434123]well i went to school and have [B]a associates in mass media studies[/B] the problem is without exp i have not been able to get in to a company and my loans are way overdue so could not go back to school or have money to pay them back. Right now I work in Central Sterile at the hospital trying to switch careers to something more medical I guess........can't take a internship I have a family that relies on me working.............so I don't want it to be a pity me story it just seems from what I have seen the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and maybe their is a way to work yourself up kudos for you two that did but for me and alot of people it just feels like we have no hope.[/QUOTE]

And that's the core of the problem right there. I actually have a bachelor's in media studies, but I picked my major knowing I planned to go to law school and that my major wouldn't matter as much as my GPA and LSAT scores, so I was free to simply pick subjects that interested me (double minored in philosophy and drama). That was the same reason I chose a CUNY school over NYU and loans for undergrad. Very few of my classmates who got similar degrees managed to land careers in media and they all knew it was a highly competitive field - and that's in the media capitol of the world and with a bachelors. Going into debt for an associates in media wasn't exactly a high percentage play.

If you want to change your situation, and you don't have any other marketable skill you can use to find employment or start a business, you [B]need[/B] to go back to school. It should put any loans you have into deferment (you don't need to make payments on most loans while you are a student) and will put you in a much more marketable position. An associates degree in media isn't going to get you very far - and honestly, you may want to think about a different degree entirely, one that would put you in a better position to pay back those loans based on average salaries in the job and the likelihood of being hired.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4434429]If someone has a passion for these and not for anything else why wouldn't they pursue them?

[B]I have news for you, Photographers and Musical Therapists make money if they are good at what they do and work hard. [/B]Like all other "normal" :rolleyes: jobs.

P.S.: I went to art school and make enough money to play on JI all day. LOLz.[/QUOTE]

Some do. But it's a lot tougher to make money with a degree in music than it is with a degree in accounting. Which is fine - money isn't everything. But I keep thinking of that girl from the occupy movement who was complaining about her student loans and how it's absurd that someone with her education is barely scraping by . . . because she has a [B]geography[/B] degree from Harvard. Geography? Really? Again, I'm all for following your passions - I actually love my job and wouldn't be doing it if I didn't - but you have to have your eyes open to the economics going in.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4434472]Of course, certain fields will always be hard, but I would never recommend someone pursue a career simply because finding a job will be easier. You may need to scrape by and may not be able to be a head of household, all true. But on the other hand, some folks would be suicidal heading off to a job they hate each day.

[B]In the end its all about the personal choice I guess. [/B]As usual its good to have multiple skill set, work hard, make connections, etc. etc.[/QUOTE]

This. But when you make the personal choice to get a degree in a field like that, you can't then turn around and complain about how hard it is to make ends meet in your chosen profession. People (myself included) need to own their choices.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4435572]If your father worked at the Dover in Morris County he deserves al the benefits he got. That place is Fort Apache - the worst school district by far in Morris County. Gangs and gunplay.[/QUOTE]

Yes that's the one, lol. It is bad for Morris County but drop one of those kids in Newark or Camden and they wouldn't know what hit them. It isn't as bad as the reputation. I went there for 2 years, granted it was 20 years ago, but it still had the rep then. I saw more drugs and fights in Roxbury which is considered a "good" school. I never saw a gun, and my father saw 1 in 40 years, still 1 too many but it isn't as bad as it is made out to be. I believe the school still has the highest drop out rate in Morris County and the system sucks but there are a lot of good kids there.

My favorite part is that the kids from Mine Hill (the next town west) is locked into a partnership with Dover. They have tried to get out many times but they have been told that they can't because there wouldn't be enough racial diversity since most of the Mine Hill kids are white. Meanwhile Mine Hill is considered one of the best K-6 districts in the county. Then their kids go to a cesspool for 7-12. Yay government!!!

As for the town, it is falling apart. 90% rentals, tons of illegals, police not allowed to do anything about it. Most of the signs are in Spanish, the flea market is doing well I think. I heard from a friend that is a federal cop at Picatinny that the local police are allowed to call them to get them to check into illegals. There is some way they can finagle jurisdiction if they have to.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4435714]This. But when you make the personal choice to get a degree in a field like that, you can't then turn around and complain about how hard it is to make ends meet in your chosen profession. People (myself included) need to own their choices.[/QUOTE]

Personal responsibility?!?!? Not very progressive of you my friend. Don't you know that nothing is ever your fault? It is their fault, you deserve that trophy for showing up! I am sure if you tried just a little harder then you would be able to find someone to blame for your troubles. Best bet is to start by blaming your parents for giving you a good work ethic and feeding you lies about personal responsibility.

UC:
    Here is a link to the supposedly top 10 growth fields that you might find interesting.

[url]http://www.moneycrashers.com/5-great-career-fields-for-the-future/[/url]

BTW, Medical is #1. No mention of Mass Media on there...
    [QUOTE]The medical field is ripe with growth potential. As everyone probably knows, nurses are in high demand. [B]The average nurse practitioner makes $85,200 per year, and the demand is expected to increase 23%.[/B] Nurse practitioners can perform many of the same functions as doctors such as prescribing medicine and treating illnesses.

Becoming a nurse practitioner requires a master’s degree in nursing and certification. With an aging population, the demand for healthcare is expected to double over the next decade. Physician assistants have climbed up to number 2 in the best jobs in America. They conduct physical exams, prescribe medicine, and treat illnesses. What does a physician assistant make? A physician assistant averages $92,000 per year and job growth is expected to rise a remarkable 39%.

One career that you may not have heard about is a nurse anesthetist. Certified nurse anesthetists (CRNA) are in demand and make more money than many family physicians. According to CNN Money, the average base salary of a CRNA is $189,000, whereas the average salary for a primary care physician is $173,000. So what does it take to become a nursing anesthetist? A CRNA must be a registered nurse and have at least one year of full-time nursing experience. Most CRNA’s obtain a master’s degree in anesthesia and pass a national certification exam.
    [/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4435714]This. But when you make the personal choice to get a degree in a field like that, you can't then turn around and complain about how hard it is to make ends meet in your chosen profession. People (myself included) need to own their choices.[/QUOTE]

Right now... Even LAWYERS have a tough time finding good work.

Supply/Demand.

Where is the outcry for your brother lawyers???;)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4436012]Right now... Even LAWYERS have a tough time finding good work.

Supply/Demand.

Where is the outcry for your brother lawyers???;)[/QUOTE]

yeah well they are over qualified with those fancy schmansy degrees!

work at McDonalds I say!!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4435712]Some do. But it's a lot tougher to make money with a degree in music than it is with a degree in accounting. Which is fine - money isn't everything. But I keep thinking of that girl from the occupy movement who was complaining about her student loans and how it's absurd that someone with her education is barely scraping by . . . because she has a [B]geography[/B] degree from Harvard. Geography? Really? Again, I'm all for following your passions - I actually love my job and wouldn't be doing it if I didn't - but you have to have your eyes open to the economics going in.[/QUOTE]

I doubt anyone disagrees with you here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4436017]I doubt anyone disagrees with you here.[/QUOTE]

Possibly but if we had that smart girl with the geography degree around we would have a much better idea of where here is!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4436012]Right now... Even LAWYERS have a tough time finding good work.

Supply/Demand.

Where is the outcry for your brother lawyers???;)[/QUOTE]

I suppose you moving to a state where people don't know how to add is looking better and better :P:yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4435708]And that's the core of the problem right there. I actually have a bachelor's in media studies, but I picked my major knowing I planned to go to law school and that my major wouldn't matter as much as my GPA and LSAT scores, so I was free to simply pick subjects that interested me (double minored in philosophy and drama). That was the same reason I chose a CUNY school over NYU and loans for undergrad. Very few of my classmates who got similar degrees managed to land careers in media and they all knew it was a highly competitive field - and that's in the media capitol of the world and with a bachelors. Going into debt for an associates in media wasn't exactly a high percentage play.

If you want to change your situation, and you don't have any other marketable skill you can use to find employment or start a business, you [B]need[/B] to go back to school. It should put any loans you have into deferment (you don't need to make payments on most loans while you are a student) and will put you in a much more marketable position. An associates degree in media isn't going to get you very far - and honestly, you may want to think about a different degree entirely, one that would put you in a better position to pay back those loans based on average salaries in the job and the likelihood of being hired.[/QUOTE]

A education strategy that was quite a sound well thought through one. Good thinking. And not wasted depending on the type of law you practice - drama and presentation can be valuable for a lawyer. LOL.
    Separately, the advice on going back for more education. Solid. People need to do what it takes. Just because you invest in a stock that's a dog, for example, doesn't mean you should avoid investing. Get back in with both feet.
    If it's medical, he should get training that IS in demand. Living in the right place is also important. For a smaller population area, the medical presence in Charleston for example is astounding. *lanning is critical for a career.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4436064]A education strategy that was quite a sound well thought through one. Good thinking. And not wasted depending on the type of law you practice - drama and presentation can be valuable for a lawyer. LOL.
    Separately, the advice on going back for more education. Solid. People need to do what it takes. Just because you invest in a stock that's a dog, for example, doesn't mean you should avoid investing. Get back in with both feet.
    If it's medical, he should get training that IS in demand. Living in the right place is also important. For a smaller population area, the medical presence in Charleston for example is astounding. *lanning is critical for a career.[/QUOTE]

Seems to me with the high price of education, useless degrees and unguided youth that it would be a great business to start a company that not only helped kids choose a major/career but could help with applications, school choice, scholarships, tutoring, mentoring, and eventually job placement.

You would think that either one of the top headhunting agencies or something like Kumon or Sylvan would offer these services. If done correctly you could end up with a client for years to guide them from about a sophomore or junior in HS through the first years of a career at a minimum.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4436031]I suppose you moving to a state where people don't know how to add is looking better and better :P:yes:[/QUOTE]

I have found NONE of that to be true. Here in Charlotte, 2nd largest financial center in the U.S., in general, people are pretty bright. They cant fall back on cushy state and muni jobs protected by public unions so they actually have to score better than 1,000 on the SAT's to get ahead.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I wanted to go back to school but when your loans are in default you can not get any more student loans..........I know you can get loans deferred however, you need to be in a school first but if you can't get in another great catch- 22 seems like I run into those type of situations all the time..........Yes alot of it prob has the fact to do with I do not know what to do when I run into those type my mother was not very supportive at all and I had no back-up plan for when the AIR FORCE did not work out. I thought the media was the way to go with the internet and all the media we see now but then another catch-22 you have to have exp already before anyone would even give me a interview. I even want to start my own business but not sure how to do that or where I could get the money. I try and do some research but get turned off when they talk about some of the things you would need to get loans or other stuff.

Serious question I tend to see everything in black and white so if a bank for example or a job lists the things they are looking for and you meet 5 out of the 6 requisites but fail the last one bad does that mean you have no shot? Most of the time that happens then I get stuck on the one I failed and say well I guess I do not qualify?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4436479]Yeah I wanted to go back to school but when your loans are in default you can not get any more student loans..........I know you can get loans deferred however, you need to be in a school first but if you can't get in another great catch- 22 seems like I run into those type of situations all the time..........Yes alot of it prob has the fact to do with I do not know what to do when I run into those type my mother was not very supportive at all and I had no back-up plan for when the AIR FORCE did not work out. I thought the media was the way to go with the internet and all the media we see now but then another catch-22 you have to have exp already before anyone would even give me a interview. I even want to start my own business but not sure how to do that or where I could get the money. I try and do some research but get turned off when they talk about some of the things you would need to get loans or other stuff.

Serious question I tend to see everything in black and white so if a bank for example or a job lists the things they are looking for and you meet 5 out of the 6 requisites but fail the last one bad does that mean you have no shot? Most of the time that happens then I get stuck on the one I failed and say well I guess I do not qualify?[/QUOTE]

1) What type of business do you want to start?

2) What do you have to lose by applying to a job where you have most of the requisites? Worst case, you don't get hired - which is exactly where you are not having applied. I mean, don't apply for a job as a pilot without a pilot's license, but if the "job requirement" is not actually essential to having the capability to do the job, apply

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4436555]1) What type of business do you want to start?

2) What do you have to lose by applying to a job where you have most of the requisites? Worst case, you don't get hired - which is exactly where you are not having applied. I mean, don't apply for a job as a pilot without a pilot's license, but if the "job requirement" is not actually essential to having the capability to do the job, apply[/QUOTE]

I thought about doing a overnight daycare............when my wife was working at the hospital she said alot of people always wanted days because no daycares were open at night........We have alot of hospitals near me and so alot of families/people work overnights.