Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upshaw, Barron, Floyd, or Ingram?

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4434671]1. Ingram
    2. Floyd
    3. Barron
    4. Upshaw[/QUOTE]

This

So everyone would be happy with either Ingram/Barron/Floyd?

[QUOTE=Sheastadiumjetfanson;4434856]So everyone would be happy with either Ingram/Barron/Floyd?[/QUOTE]

Not sure if Ingram falls to us I doubt he will.

Barron is really a strong safety. Would be a waste of a pick since we already have two expensive SS's on the roster.

I don't want a receiver in round 1. Not with Sanchez in a make or break year and a linebacker as our #2 QB in the waiting that would also end up being a waste of a pick.

Draft a RT.

1. Floyd
    2. Ingram
    3. Upshaw

Barron - not on my short list unless we trade out of the 1st

[QUOTE=sect313;4434818]we need someone to stretch the field to open it up for the run game so we need to upgrade at WR to be a better team[/QUOTE]

You dont pass to set up the run. A WR wont open up holes for the running game. It also wont help protect Sanchez. Without these two things, you can have two pro bowl receivers and it wont matter. Sanchez is not Favre or Manning. You will not have a successful offense if you depend pn him passing 30+ times per game. You can upgrade the receivers in round 3 and later. Drafting a stud receiver in round 1 for this offense and its schemes is a waste.

Ingram
    Floyd
    Barron
    Upshaw

[QUOTE=kennyo7;4434686]Ingram
    Upshaw
    Baron
    Floyd

I think Floyd is a great talent but he does not make our team better. We are a ball control/running offense. We dont have a gunslinger to throw the ball and our problems on offense lie with the O-Line and JAG running backs on our roster. A star receiver will not make our offense better.

Additionally, we can upgrade our receiving corps in later rounds as the depth in receivers for this draft is great. We can conceivably upgrade our receivers in the 3rd or even later rounds. We will not have equal talent at the other positions (LB and S) after the early to mid 2nd.[/QUOTE]

If we have ZERO deep threat like we had last year teams will just do what they did last year. 8 in the box to stop the run, jump every short to medium route on the tree.

A legit deep threat Wr makes play action work, helps the Qb because he doesn't have to be a 65% short passer and loosens up the run defense.

[QUOTE=kennyo7;4435247]You dont pass to set up the run. A WR wont open up holes for the running game. It also wont help protect Sanchez. Without these two things, you can have two pro bowl receivers and it wont matter. Sanchez is not Favre or Manning. You will not have a successful offense if you depend pn him passing 30+ times per game. You can upgrade the receivers in round 3 and later. Drafting a stud receiver in round 1 for this offense and its schemes is a waste.[/QUOTE]

Yes it will 100% it will. Teams see a legit deep threat and no more 8 men in the box, the safties and even corners do not creep to the line. Play action is a legit worry where with not deep threat play action is no worry at all, the other team is going to fake you out and make you pay by a 7 yard pass?

With no deep threat, even if you are a run heavy team your QB has to be an accuracy passer and sanchez isn't. You just have to look at the jets last year vs the year before.

Tell a defense not to worry about any deep threat at all and watch them stack the line, jump short passes and blitz the **** out of you.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4435257]If we have ZERO deep threat like we had last year teams will just do what they did last year. 8 in the box to stop the run, jump every short to medium route on the tree.

A legit deep threat Wr makes play action work, helps the Qb because he doesn't have to be a 65% short passer and loosens up the run defense.[/QUOTE]

Who was our legit deep threat the two years prior to last year that kept defenses honest and helpef our running game? Braylon Edwards? J Cotch?

Our running game succeded because we had a great O line not because of a deep threat

Jets needs and bpa

Barron would be the best pick. Ingram i feel is better to play inside on a 4-3 defense! You may think im crazy but i dont think he will be explosiver enough off the edge. He has played well in college when lined up as DT.

Jets needs:
    DEFENSE: DE pass rusher, OLB, Safety
    OFFENSE: RT, WR, RB, another TE

In round 1 go BPA!!!
    I would consider trading back later in round 1 and get an extra pick. This would yield a a good player in round1 and provide an extrav pick, which the Jets need!!!!!!!!!!!

round 1: BPA I would take DE Nick Perry or DE Shea McClelllin
    or Barron at Safety!!!

round 2: BPA RT Bob Massie

Can get a WR in later round! Very deep.
    Need RT is more of a need!!!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Sheastadiumjetfanson;4434655]Assuming none get picked before us (very unlikely), which is the best pick?

Upshaw, a good DE? (In my opinion, I do not think he makes the transition to NFL and is a BUST)

Barron, a great safety? (Much needed - really would like to pick Barron)

Ingram, a great LB/DE hybrid? (Looks like a legit pass-rusher, but would prefer Barron the Safety instead)

Floyd, a great receiver? (Receivers are dime a dozen, don't think we should take Floyd if Barron/Ingram are available)

My opinion? Take Barron if available. If not? Ingram. If both are gone, take Floyd. If all three gone? Personally I would not take Upshaw.

So who else is a good pick at 16 if Floyd/Barron/Ingram are gone?[/QUOTE]

Floyd is a dime a dozen, yet a safety is a must grab?

OK, i've read enough of this thread.

You have to Ingram in that scenario... BPA is a position of need...

Followed by Floyd, Barron and pass on Upshaw...

While I think this team really needs help on defense, especially LB and S, I just don't like the defensive choices here.

I'm not as high on Ingram as others. I don't think his college success will translate well to the NFL. He's a little too small to set the edge, doesn't really get a strong burst on the snap, and won't be able to line up at DT in the NFL.

Upshaw also is too small to set the edge in the NFL.

Mark Barron, while I like his physicality, seems to lack the change of direction skills to cover NFL receivers and we need a FS, not SS. Markelle Martin is a better fit for this team.

Floyd seems to have a makings of a good NFL WR. Good size, speed, hands, and run-blocking.

My preference:
    1) Floyd
    2) Ingram
    3) Upshaw
    4) Barron
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 04-14-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Upshaw probably won't be a great player, but I really have a hard time seeing how he busts. Unless you consider a "bust" to be a 7 or 8 year starter.

Barron can play either safety spot, just don't expect him to be able to leave him back there by himself in cover 1 (which is actually something that won't be as big of a problem for us because of Revis).

I've been with Paradis all the way on Floyd. He's a stud, and the guy I want the most. Beerfish is absolutely right about how he would help the run game as well. I don't think everyone appreciates how interdependent everything on offense is.

All League
    1. Ingram

2. Floyd

3. Barron

4. Upshaw

[QUOTE=kennyo7;4435263]Who was our legit deep threat the two years prior to last year that kept defenses honest and helpef our running game? Braylon Edwards? J Cotch?

Our running game succeded because we had a great O line not because of a deep threat[/QUOTE]

Braylon Edwards, look at his passes over 20, over 40 and his ypc for that year.

The big worry for me is that the rumors are floating that the jets want to trade up for ingram. I don't see any of these guys worth trading up for with the needs the jets have.

After watching some more "Road to the Drafts" and posts and things, here is what would be fine with me:

1. Floyd (great receiver)
    2. Trade down, into a position that could get us a late 2nd and late 1st. Take Stephen Hill. A speedy guy with good hands, and can be our legit deep threat. Then with the second round picks we'll have (2 now) we can get DE/RT/TE/S/etc
    3. Barron (then just take someone like Jeffery in round 2. We need receivers, come on, you think Chaz Schilens can be our #2? :rolleyes: )
    4. Ingram (then just take someone like Jeffery in round 2. We need receivers, come on, you think Chaz Schilens can be our #2? :rolleyes: )
    Last edited by Sheastadiumjetfanson; 04-14-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Sheastadiumjetfanson;4435368]After watching some more "Road to the Drafts" and posts and things, here is what would be fine with me:

1. Floyd (great receiver)
    2. Trade down, into a position that could get us a late 2nd and late 1st. Take Stephen Hill. A speedy guy with good hands, and can be our legit deep threat. Then with the second round picks we'll have (2 now) we can get DE/RT/TE/S/etc
    3. Barron (then just take someone like Jeffery in round 2. We need receivers, come on, you think Chaz Schilens can be our #2? :rolleyes: )
    4. Ingram (then just take someone like Jeffery in round 2. We need receivers, come on, you think Chaz Schilens can be our #2? :rolleyes: )[/QUOTE]

I like your thinking, we need receivers! :yes:

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4435370]I like your thinking, we need receivers! :yes:[/QUOTE]

We need a deep threat big WR desperately. I would not be upset if Floyd is the best option on the board. If Reiff, Ingram or DeCastro is there then it would be a very difficult decision. And I keep hearing about how Floyd's longest gainer was only 35 yards last season. Is he that non-explosive or were his QBs that bad? Hey if it's the latter, he is Jet-ready!

[QUOTE=Dcat;4435376]We need a deep threat big WR desperately. I would not be upset if Floyd is the best option on the board. If Reiff, Ingram or DeCastro is there then it would be a very difficult decision. And I keep hearing about how Floyd's longest gainer was only 35 yards last season. Is he that non-explosive or were his QBs that bad? Hey if it's the latter, he is Jet-ready![/QUOTE]

Good question on Floyd, and the answer is both. He had a trio of scrubs throwing him the ball after Clausen left, so that was definitely a factor, but it's probably fair to say he's not an explosive player.

Then again, neither are guys like Fitzgerald, Boldin, Bowe, etc. That's the type of receiver I believe Floyd will resemble in the NFL.

If Floyd is the pick, I'm confident he'll be everything for the team that Keyshawn was.