Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upshaw, Barron, Floyd, or Ingram?

[QUOTE=Dcat;4435376]We need a deep threat big WR desperately. I would not be upset if Floyd is the best option on the board. If Reiff, Ingram or DeCastro is there then it would be a very difficult decision. And I keep hearing about how Floyd's longest gainer was only 35 yards last season. Is he that non-explosive or were his QBs that bad? Hey if it's the latter, he is Jet-ready![/QUOTE]

56 yards was his long last year. I can't find a breakdown by air yards for college football players, so all we have to go by are highlights and gross yardage numbers.

He had at least 5 30+ yard receptions last year, and a long of 56. He had at least one 20+ yard reception in 8/13 games.

In 2010 he had at least 6 30+ yard receptions, with a long of 80. Had at least one 20+ yard reception in 9/12 games.

In 2009 he had at least 5 30+ yard receptions, 4 of them for 40+ yards, with a long of 88. He had at least one 20+ yard reception in 7/7 games.

In 2008 he had at least 5 30+ yard receptions, with a long of 51. He at least one 20+ yard reception in 7/10 games.

Now the highlights:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx8qek1bQxY&feature=related[/url]

Just look at how many times he makes a play on the ball in the air. That's always the thing that jumps out at me when I watch him. A lot of those catches are not routine pitch and catch. He goes up and gets the ball and comes down with it. He makes catches that other receivers don't. It's a special quality.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4435385]56 yards was his long last year. I can't find a breakdown by air yards for college football players, so all we have to go by are highlights and gross yardage numbers.

He had at least 5 30+ yard receptions last year, and a long of 56. He had at least one 20+ yard reception in 8/13 games.

In 2010 he had at least 6 30+ yard receptions, with a long of 80. Had at least one 20+ yard reception in 9/12 games.

In 2009 he had at least 5 30+ yard receptions, 4 of them for 40+ yards, with a long of 88. He had at least one 20+ yard reception in 7/7 games.

In 2008 he had at least 5 30+ yard receptions, with a long of 51. He at least one 20+ yard reception in 7/10 games.

Now the highlights:

Just look at how many times he makes a play on the ball in the air. That's always the thing that jumps out at me when I watch him. A lot of those catches are not routine pitch and catch. He goes up and gets the ball and comes down with it. He makes catches that other receivers don't. It's a special quality.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdkTvjlYRKE[/url]

Ingram obviously

None of these guys will be there at 16, except Upshaw and maybe Barron. Jets are trading up for Ingram. Tanny and Rex know this D is a pass rusher away from being the best in the league. They won't let this opportunity pass, if they love a guy they will make the move. Upshaw isn't a 3-4 OLB, not the guy they need.
    Last edited by Gastineau99; 04-14-2012 at 09:34 PM.

If not Ingram, then either Coples, Kuechly, or DeCastro. If all of the above are taken, then Mercilus.

[QUOTE=King P;4434665]Ingram
    Floyd
    Barron
    Upshaw[/QUOTE]

this!!!!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Gotta love JI...:cool:

[U]yesterday[/U]:
    [QUOTE=Sheastadiumjetfanson;4434655]
    Floyd, a great receiver? ([B]Receivers are dime a dozen[/B], don't think we should take Floyd if Barron/Ingram are available)
    [/QUOTE]
    [U]
    24 hours later[/U]:
    [QUOTE=Sheastadiumjetfanson;4435368]

[B]1. Floyd (great receiver)[/B]
    2. Trade down, into a position that could get us a late 2nd and late 1st. Take Stephen Hill. A speedy guy with good hands, and can be our legit deep threat. Then with the second round picks we'll have (2 now) we can get DE/RT/TE/S/etc
    3. Barron (then just take someone like Jeffery in round 2. [B]We need receivers, come on[/B], you think Chaz Schilens can be our #2? :rolleyes: )
    4. Ingram (then just take someone like Jeffery in round 2. We need receivers, come on, you think Chaz Schilens can be our #2? :rolleyes: )[/QUOTE]

Jerk behavior by myself aside - i'm glad to see you folks are seeing the light. Floyd 4 life.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4435385]56 yards was his long last year. I can't find a breakdown by air yards for college football players, so all we have to go by are highlights and gross yardage numbers.

Now the highlights:

Just look at how many times he makes a play on the ball in the air. That's always the thing that jumps out at me when I watch him. A lot of those catches are not routine pitch and catch. He goes up and gets the ball and comes down with it. He makes catches that other receivers don't. It's a special quality.[/QUOTE]

And none of this even scrapes the surface on how awesome this man is at killing corners to make a catch. ridiculous focus

I turned gay for floyd
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-15-2012 at 04:16 PM.

[QUOTE=Paradis;4435460]Gotta love JI...:cool:

[U]yesterday[/U]:

[U]
    24 hours later[/U]:

Jerk behavior by myself aside - i'm glad to see you folks are seeing the light. Floyd 4 life.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, after reading and watching highlights, I can see that some receivers do stand out.

[QUOTE=Paradis;4435461]And none of this even scrapes the surface on how awesome this man is at killer corners to make a catch. ridiculous focus

I turned gay for floyd[/QUOTE]

You have been pumping him up for months, but now the scouts are agreeing with you, and it doesn't look like he will make it to 16. That sucks because he is a perfect fit for us on Offense. Jets are in no-mans land at 16, just out of range for Ingram and Floyd. Looking like Barron might not be there either.

Tanny is going to make a move.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4435367]Braylon Edwards, look at his passes over 20, over 40 and his ypc for that year.

The big worry for me is that the rumors are floating that the jets want to trade up for ingram. I don't see any of these guys worth trading up for with the needs the jets have.[/QUOTE]

I would definitely be against trading up for Ingram.

That being said, we desperately need help in the defensive front 7 and offensive line. Much more than we need a star receiver. A WR in the first would be an absolute waste. This draft is unbelievably deep in receivers and the way our offense is built, we dont need a star at receiver.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Paradis;4435461]And none of this even scrapes the surface on how awesome this man is at killer corners to make a catch. ridiculous focus

[B]I turned gay for floyd[/B] [/QUOTE]

Wait till Pettigrew finds out..:eek:

All Pro
    1. Ingram
    2. Floyd
    3. Barron
    4. Upshaw

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4435496]You have been pumping him up for months, but now the scouts are agreeing with you, and it doesn't look like he will make it to 16. That sucks because he is a perfect fit for us on Offense. Jets are in no-mans land at 16, just out of range for Ingram and Floyd. Looking like Barron might not be there either.

Tanny is going to make a move.[/QUOTE]

Lee Evans signed with JAX today - yet another domino falling in our favor

[QUOTE=Paradis;4435641]Lee Evans signed with JAX today - yet another domino falling in our favor[/QUOTE]
    Lee Evans is a #3 receiver at best at this point in his career

1. Ingram

2a. Floyd
    2b. Barron

4. Upshaw

All Pro
    [QUOTE=King P;4435645]Lee Evans is a #3 receiver at best at this point in his career[/QUOTE]

So? Pair him up with Robinson and Thomas. There's your squad. Evans actually showed some youth last year when he wasn't hurt. He can still run the heck out of those go routes.

...you know that's about where Edwards' value sits on the FA market. Funny how some members here are like "Just sign edwards, it'll fix our WR issue" - yet JAX doing the same with Evans doesn't equate to the same result for JAX.

[QUOTE=Paradis;4435667]So? Pair him up with Robinson and Thomas. There's your squad. Evans actually showed some youth last year when he wasn't hurt. He can still run the heck out of those go routes.

...you know that's about where Edwards' value sits on the FA market. Funny how some members here are like "Just sign edwards, it'll fix our WR issue" - yet JAX doing the same with Evans doesn't equate to the same result for JAX.[/QUOTE]

I don't think a lot of people on here remembered that Jacksonville signed Laurent Robinson at the start of free agency. With him, Mike Thomas, and now Lee Evans, I don't see them drafting a WR in the first round at this point.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4434807]Over the next 13 days, right up until draft day, we'll examine players the Jets could select, focusing primarily on the first round (16th overall).

[B]Player[/B]: Mark Barron, S, Alabama

[B]Height/weight[/B]: 6-foot-1, 215 pounds

[B]Scouts, Inc. ranking[/B]: 11

[B]Draft projection[/B]: First round (14th to 20th)

[B]Scouting report[/B]: Barron is the best safety in a weak class of safeties -- and that's not meant as an backhanded compliment. He's the complete package -- good size, sound tackler, solid in pass coverage, instinctive, strong leader, and we could go on. One scout told me, "He's a big hitter, but he can run and cover, too." Barron is a natural strong safety, although he said he played free safety his senior year. The Jets just signed a strong safety in [B]LaRon Landry[/B], but that shouldn't have a big impact on Barron's draft value. The safeties are interchangeable in the Jets' scheme. He has the ability to cover tight ends, a bugaboo for the Jets, and some receivers, if necessary. He ran a 4.56 at his recent pro day -- only two months after surgery to repair a sports hernia. He has the ability and smarts to be a Day 1 starter. The Cowboys (14th) and Eagles (15th) are reportedly hot for Barron, so he may not be available for the Jets.

[B]Key stat[/B]: In 39 career starts at Alabama, Barron recorded 12 interceptions.

[B]Red flags[/B]: In March, 2011, Barron was arrested for second-degree hindering prosecution, a misdemeanor. At the time, Barron told a Mobile Police Department officer his car, which was found crashed, had been taken without permission by a man Barron said he knew only as ''Bull.'' The officer determined the person was Barron's cousin. Barron was released an hour after his arrest after posting a $500 bond.

[B]In his own words[/B]: "We played in a very difficult defense, first of all. We did a lot of different schemes. As far as communicating, I had a lot to do with that on the back end. I feel like sometimes I brought some energy with the hits that I made and things of that nature. So, I did a lot of different things."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/11789/draft-profile-s-mark-barron?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/URL][/QUOTE]

it better be Barron or else am gonna go crazy! am gonna lose it, am gonna go ballistic.

can barron cover a guy like hernandez or gronkowski? is landry going to last the season? imo the jets should go for bpa and if it's barron then pick him.

[QUOTE=detjetsfan;4435192]Not sure if Ingram falls to us I doubt he will.

Barron is really a strong safety. Would be a waste of a pick since we already have two expensive SS's on the roster.

I don't want a receiver in round 1. Not with Sanchez in a make or break year and a linebacker as our #2 QB in the waiting that would also end up being a waste of a pick.

Draft a RT.[/QUOTE]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

1 - Ingram
    2 - Barron

3 - Floyd

4 - Upshaw