Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gov. Christie: Nation turning into 'people sitting on a couch waiting...

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gov. Christie: Nation turning into 'people sitting on a couch waiting...

[URL="http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/gov_christie_nation_is_becomin.html"]http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/gov_christie_nation_is_becomin.html[/URL]

[I]Interpretation:
    The 9% unemployment Rate in NJ used to be Governor Corzine’s fault but now it is the fault of the folks who were laid-off.[/I]

[QUOTE]

[B][U]Gov. Christie: Nation turning into 'people sitting on a couch waiting for their next government check'[/U][/B]

NEW YORK — Gov. Chris Christie today warned an audience of national Republicans that the country is in danger of becoming a "paternalistic entitlement society" where people sit on the couch, "waiting for the next government check."

Christie spoke at a day-long conference on tax policy in New York hosted by former President George W. Bush, who nominated Christie to be U.S. Attorney in 2001.

Christie spent most of his 30-minute speech on New Jersey budget issues, but brought up national policy toward the end. He said it is the least optimistic period he’s ever seen for the nation.

"It’s because government’s now telling them, stop dreaming, stop striving, we’ll take care of you. We’re turning into a paternalistic entitlement society. That will not just bankrupt us financially, it will bankrupt us morally," Christie told Bush, Henry Kissinger and an assortment of Republican governors in a theater at the New York Historical Society.

"When the American people no longer believe that this is a place where only their willingness to work hard and to act with honor and integrity and ingenuity determines their success in life, then we’ll have a bunch of people sitting on a couch waiting for their next government check," Christie said.

Christie never mentioned President Obama by name, but in the past has spoken about the need to reign in entitlement spending for programs like for Social Security and Medicare.

Today, he said entitlement spending would make Bush’s goal to boost the private sector 4 percent difficult.

"A 4 percent solution, a 4 percent growth is not gonna be achieved if we don’t deal with Medicare," Christie said. "A 4 percent growth is not gonna be achieved if we don’t deal with Medicaid. A 4 percent growth is not gonna be achieved if we don’t deal with Social Security."

Democrats today said Christie was catering to his conservative audience at the expense of working class New Jerseyans.

"It’s amazing that even as the governor is caught up in his frenzied efforts to curry favor with the far-right element in the Republican party ... he still finds time to express his resentment and anger towards regular working people," said Sen. Barbara Buono (D-Middlesex), who is considering a run for governor next year.

A spokesman for Assembly Democrats, Tom Hester Jr., said, "The only people sitting around on the couch enjoying life these days are the millionaires who have been coddled by Gov. Christie. Everyone else is working as hard as they can to pay for the net 20 percent property tax hike they’ve endured under this governor."

Ben Dworkin, a political scientist at Rider University, said Christie gave Democrats a lot to work with today.

"Democrats will probably try to mobilize a large number of those New Jerseyans who are still struggling to find work by portraying the governor as blaming their own laziness for their hard times," Dworkin said.

He said Christie is "by far the most conservative governor we have had in New Jersey’s modern era ... This was an opportunity to talk to this particular audience and I think he used the language that he’s always believed."

The conference, which also featured Karl Rove, Steve Forbes and House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan, was hosted by the President George W. Bush Institute, which Bush said allows him to remain involved in public policy while staying out of the limelight.

"I don’t think it’s good, frankly, for our country to undermine the president and I don’t intend to do so," Bush said. "But I do intend to remain involved in areas that I’m interested in."

Bush introduced Christie by praising his "enormous personality" and "belief in the individual," noting that Christie has grabbed a lot of attention, even from Texans.

"I was a proud member of the Bush administration for seven years," Christie said, later adding that Bush "inspired a whole new generation of conservative Republican leaders."

[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    When you have unemployment benefits stretched to 99 weeks, how can anyone have any drive to get a job?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4435816]When you have unemployment benefits stretched to 99 weeks, how can anyone have any drive to get a job?[/QUOTE]

Because the benefits suck? Theyre def better than nothing but try living on them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4435816]When you have unemployment benefits stretched to 99 weeks, how can anyone have any drive to get a job?[/QUOTE]

The economy took a dump. Millions of people got laid off. There were no other jobs available for these people. Thus they collect unemployment.

If 3 million people have "drive" to get a job and only 1.5 million jobs exist there will be 1.5 million folks with drive but without jobs.

Also... NJ is one of only three (PA & AK are the other two) states that tax employees pay into the unemployment insurance system. So the Governor complaining about paying unemployment to folks who paid into the system IMHO really sucks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4435787] "When the American people no longer believe that this is a place where only their willingness to work hard and to act with honor and integrity and ingenuity determines their success in life, then we’ll have a bunch of people sitting on a couch waiting for their next government check," Christie said.

[/QUOTE]

Oh the horror.

Sieze him.

:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4435898]Oh the horror.

Sieze him.

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Public pensions destroying the states.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4435898]Oh the horror.

Sieze him.

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Governor Christie]

"It’s because government’s now telling them, stop dreaming, stop striving, we’ll take care of you. We’re turning into a paternalistic entitlement society. That will not just bankrupt us financially, it will bankrupt us morally," Christie told Bush, Henry Kissinger and an assortment of Republican governors in a theater at the New York Historical Society.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like the Governor thinks the folks who got laid off should be on their own. It sounds like he thinks financial help from the Government was a mistake.

If unemployment assistance was not given the country would already be bankrupt, 1929 style. No waiting.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4435787][URL="http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/gov_christie_nation_is_becomin.html"]http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/gov_christie_nation_is_becomin.html[/URL]

[I]Interpretation:
    The 9% unemployment Rate in NJ used to be Governor Corzine’s fault but now it is the fault of the folks who were laid-off.[/I][/QUOTE]

Like Christie Hasn't spent some type on a couch AMIRITE???

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Christie]"It’s because government’s now telling them, stop dreaming, stop striving, we’ll take care of you. We’re turning into a paternalistic entitlement society. That will not just bankrupt us financially, it will bankrupt us morally,".[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Buster;4435907]Sounds to me like the Governor thinks the folks who got laid off should be on their own. It sounds like he thinks financial help from the Government was a mistake.

[/QUOTE]

You read that differently than me;

SOunds like he's saying we've reached a point where unemployment benefits have become institutionalized welfare and that we need a motivated, creative class of unemployed to jump in and help jump start the recovery instead of sitting passively waiting for the perfect opportunity.

Guiliani cut welfare in NY and people adapted. No one starved.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4435919]You read that differently than me;

SOunds like he's saying we've reached a point where unemployment benefits have become institutionalized welfare and that we need a motivated, creative class of unemployed to jump in and help jump start the recovery instead of sitting passively waiting for the perfect opportunity.

Guiliani cut welfare in NY and people adapted. No one starved.

-[/QUOTE]

First off Bill Clinton cut welfare.

It was totally different times. The Dow Jones went up thousands of points while Giuliani was Mayor. NYC benefitted mightily from that. Jobs were plentiful.

Anyway…

So the premise is folks who were all employed since the Bush I Presidency are now all shiftless and lazy?

Ok. Let's say that is true.

When you cut all of those folks off and they stop paying rent, buying clothes, paying car insurance, buying gas, start cutting down on their groceries as much as possible, etc...

What happens to the economy when these folks have no capital and thus stop being 'consumers'?

and again... in NJ Employees and Employers BOTH pay unemployment taxes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buster, you'd agree, wouldn't you, that there's a point at which unemployment benefits can be too lavish, can negatively incentivize behavior? If unemployment benefits were 5 years of full pay at your prior job's salary, obviously, that would be fiscal insanity - nobody would ever work.

And I think most people agree that "1 day, here's 50 cents" would be too small of an unemployment benefit.

The question becomes "where is the line"? It's a question reasonable people can disagree about. If you think Christie is wrong in where he is suggesting the line might be, why don't you talk about the reasons why that is? Because the post you made, suggesting that [I][B]any[/B][/I] discussion of where the line should be is akin to calling American's lazy bums and ought to be a political point-scorer, is part of the partisan bull **** that has led this country into our current mess. We [B]need[/B] our public servants to think about these issues and talk about them in the public space - and the "third rail" attacks like yours are designed to guarantee that never happens.

Do you actually think that's good for the country? Or do you just not care?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4435926]First off Bill Clinton cut welfare.

[/QUOTE]

You know...I'll give you that one. Guiliani hammered his welfare roll reductions so hard, its still stuck in my brain. Touche.:D

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4435943]The question becomes "where is the line"? It's a question reasonable people can disagree about. If you think Christie is wrong in where he is suggesting the line might be, why don't you talk about the reasons why that is? Because the post you made, suggesting that [I][B]any[/B][/I] discussion of where the line should be is akin to calling American's lazy bums and ought to be a political point-scorer, is part of the partisan bull **** that has led this country into our current mess. We [B]need[/B] our public servants to think about these issues and talk about them in the public space - and the "third rail" attacks like yours are designed to guarantee that never happens.

Do you actually think that's good for the country? Or do you just not care?[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

This isnt about demonizing the unemployed, but where is the line.

Someone has to be unafraid to discuss it.

He may not be 100 percent on the mark, but he doesnt shy away from tough issues.

This COuntry will choke on PC censorship.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4435943]Buster, you'd agree, wouldn't you, that there's a point at which unemployment benefits can be too lavish, can negatively incentivize behavior? If unemployment benefits were 5 years of full pay at your prior job's salary, obviously, that would be fiscal insanity - nobody would ever work.

And I think most people agree that "1 day, here's 50 cents" would be too small of an unemployment benefit.

The question becomes "where is the line"? It's a question reasonable people can disagree about. If you think Christie is wrong in where he is suggesting the line might be, why don't you talk about the reasons why that is? Because the post you made, suggesting that [I][B]any[/B][/I] discussion of where the line should be is akin to calling American's lazy bums and ought to be a political point-scorer, is part of the partisan bull **** that has led this country into our current mess. We [B]need[/B] our public servants to think about these issues and talk about them in the public space - and the "third rail" attacks like yours are designed to guarantee that never happens.

Do you actually think that's good for the country? Or do you just not care?[/QUOTE]

Have you seen Governor Christie on you tube calling folk’s names?
    His people post them.
    He is in no way above partisan ‘bull ****’.
    You need to find someoneelse to defend if that is your argument cause the Governor is not a nice man.

anyway..

His premise of people should work and not take assistance would be acceptable with me IF THERE WERE JOBS FOR ALL. But that is no longer the case. Things are getting better but there is not currently enough jobs to push the unemployment rate below 7% let alone down to 4% unemployment.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4435868]The economy took a dump. Millions of people got laid off. There were no other jobs available for these people. Thus they collect unemployment.

If 3 million people have "drive" to get a job and only 1.5 million jobs exist there will be 1.5 million folks with drive but without jobs.

Also... NJ is one of only three (PA & AK are the other two) states that tax employees pay into the unemployment insurance system. So the Governor complaining about paying unemployment to folks who paid into the system IMHO really sucks.[/QUOTE]

I had a client come in...3 years in a row on unemployment. Temp jobs in between unemployment. She took out 40K of government loans to go to "Strayer University". She is a glorified office worker, NOW with a government paid bachelors degree in management. Says she cant find work because she is over qualified.

Asked WHY she cant work, she has a basic skill set... she replied it is easier to collect unemployment. THIS is so common.

99 weeks???? Really? Why not just make it 200 weeks, has a nice ring to it.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4435907]Sounds to me like the Governor thinks the folks who got laid off should be on their own. It sounds like he thinks financial help from the Government was a mistake.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like the Governor thinks the nanny state mentality is destroying the work ethic in this country...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4435907]If unemployment assistance was not given the country would already be bankrupt, 1929 style. No waiting.[/QUOTE]
    Imagine unemployment assistance was drastically reduced and employment of illegals was drastically more enforced. I don't think we'd be looking at 1929, we'd be looking at millions working at jobs that are currently "beneath" them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4435988]Imagine unemployment assistance was drastically reduced and employment of illegals was drastically more enforced. I don't think we'd be looking at 1929,[B] we'd be looking at millions working at jobs that are currently "beneath" them[/B].[/QUOTE]

EXCEPT...they would be grateful for a job. :yes:

I cleaned offices at night WITH a college degree to buy my first house.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4435945]

This isnt about demonizing the unemployed...

-[/QUOTE]

Then maybe he shouldn't desrcibe them as "sitting on the couch waiting for their government check." :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4435926]First off Bill Clinton cut welfare.

It was totally different times. The Dow Jones went up thousands of points while Giuliani was Mayor. NYC benefitted mightily from that. Jobs were plentiful.

Anyway…

[B]So the premise is folks who were all employed since the Bush I Presidency are now all shiftless and lazy?[/B]

Ok. Let's say that is true.

When you cut all of those folks off and they stop paying rent, buying clothes, paying car insurance, buying gas, start cutting down on their groceries as much as possible, etc...

What happens to the economy when these folks have no capital and thus stop being 'consumers'?

and again... in NJ Employees and Employers BOTH pay unemployment taxes.[/QUOTE]

No they were shiftless and lazy then too but the market and the economy was flush enough to carry the dead weight. Now that the economy has tanked companies are looking to streamline and increase productivity. It is only natural. So they can get rid of the guy that produces nothing and spends the majority of the day at the coffee machine (or on a politics message board) and lose next to nothing other than the financial outlay they were paying him.

This is the same effect that allows employees to drive up their price during a good economy if they are in an in demand field. It is a cycle, sadly for the lazy and shiftless people the economy now favors the employer. Don't worry sooner or later we will hit another up-swing and the lazy and shiftless can sponge off a new employer instead of the government and remaining tax payers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4436010]Then maybe he shouldn't desrcibe them as "sitting on the couch waiting for their government check." :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Is the problem really about hurting the sensitive people on unemployment? This is what we need to worry about?