Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gov. Christie: Nation turning into 'people sitting on a couch waiting...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4436174]I run my local recreation department (volunteer) and we have a policy that kids that are on the "free" lunch program can also play rec sports for free if they ask because we don't want to punish kids because their parents are poor. So one of my committee members asked if we could put a "community service" stipulation on the free play clause that says the parent of the kid playing for free would have to volunteer to help either coach, team mom, field cleanup, snack bar, whatever is needed within reason.

[B]The town administrator and our town council liaison said we couldn't do that because "it wouldn't be fair and we don't know what their circumstances are".[/B] This is a microcosm of what we are talking about. Taxpayers have to give and give some more but to ask the sponge to help out by donating some time might hurt their pride or self esteem so we can't even ask them to help.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, it would be very hard for a single parent of multiple kids to take time to do something like that for the one kid playing rec sports during that hour, even if they aren't working at the time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chirorob;4436261]I graduated Chiropractic school with a BA, a BS, and a DC after my name. Due to paperwork and National Boards it took 12 months to get a liscense. I worked for the census knocking on doors, and bartended, worked about 60 hours a week. It wasn't beneath me, I made enough cash to help pay for my first office with minimum debt.

My Mom (bless her) got laid off. She milked un-employment for 18 months because it paid better than her getting a job. Her words, "I can't afford to go back to work right now." She then sold her house in NJ, moved to Texas, and bought 4 rentals with the money from the NJ house.

Point being, I have friends who are too good for jobs, so they are unemployed, and[B] a parent who wouldn't take a pay cut to get a job[/B]. I agree with Christie.[/QUOTE]

Which is the rational economic decision.

And the problem.

Unemployment benefits should [B]never[/B] make turning down employment the rational economic move.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4436174]I run my local recreation department (volunteer) and we have a policy that kids that are on the "free" lunch program can also play rec sports for free if they ask because we don't want to punish kids because their parents are poor. So one of my committee members asked if we could put a "community service" stipulation on the free play clause that says the parent of the kid playing for free would have to volunteer to help either coach, team mom, field cleanup, snack bar, whatever is needed within reason.

The town administrator and our town council liaison said we couldn't do that because [B][SIZE="3"]"it wouldn't be fair and we don't know what their circumstances are". [/SIZE][/B]This is a microcosm of what we are talking about. Taxpayers have to give and give some more but to ask the sponge to help out by donating some time might hurt their pride or self esteem so we can't even ask them to help.[/QUOTE]

I grew up VERY POOR.... watched my Mom graduate high school. I NEEDED the free lunch. It was, on many occasions , the only decent meal I had all day.

I also could NOT play little league baseball in my town because a parent "HAD TO" do something. My mom simply couldn't, she was (looking back at it) worn out.

So... I had a bit of a complex because all of my friends played but I didn't. Wasn't the type of experience I would want for a child so I applaud your town administrator.

PLEASE..I BEG you, look at these kids, find just ONE of these poorkids and try to make a difference. Buy him a bat, a glove etc...tell him you got it free.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4436010]Then maybe he shouldn't desrcibe them as "sitting on the couch waiting for their government check." :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Mebbe he only meant the ones sitting on their couch waiting for their government check.

There has to be at least one.

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4436108]1) It's simple economics - if unemployment pays more than the available job, why would someone take the available job? Even if the money is close, the question becomes "is working [harder/in these conditions/in that field/etc.] worth it given the difference in pay?" I'm sure there are people at the margins who will leap at whatever job comes along because they "want to be self sufficient" and people at the other end of the spectrum who won't take any job while on unemployment because being paid to do nothing is better than being paid more to work, but in the center, for most people, it's simply a rational economic choice. And while I think society [B]ought[/B] to subsidize people's ability [B]not[/B] to just take the first job that comes along (having people working in their chosen field maximizes productivity), at a certain point, that subsidy has to end. IMO, 99 weeks is too long.

2) I think SouthPark mentioned a client who said something like this. I've seen reports that include interviews with people who refuse jobs because the bump in pay from unemployment (or the decrease in pay) is just not worth it.

Personally, I think it should be 26 weeks of full unemployment benefits with no obligation to take a job out of your field or that pays less than unemployment, 26 weeks where you are obligated to take any job that comes along and unemployment benefits will cover the difference between your salary and what you had been making on unemployment, and then that's it, you're on your own. 6 months of pure job hunting (no layoff vacations), 6 months to transition to your new economic circumstances, and then the government support cuts off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this response doggin.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

The town administrator and our town council liaison said we couldn't do that because "it wouldn't be fair and we don't know what their circumstances are". This is a microcosm of what we are talking about. Taxpayers have to give and give some more but to ask the sponge to help out by donating some time might hurt their pride or self esteem so we can't even ask them to help.[/QUOTE]

yeah we never turn down any kids for lack of money. Most often in cases like this it's a single mom, and sad to say most often there is a substance abuse problem, friggin kids don't have a chance.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4435902]Public pensions destroying the states.[/QUOTE]

Political elite hooking up friends with jobs and no bid contracts to connected businesses destroying the states

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4436730]Thanks for this response doggin.[/QUOTE]

No problem