Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One or two spaces?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crossfire;4436339][IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/crossfire1/Hampur/WhenImissedmyperiod.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[QUOTE=gark2k;4436454]If you're going to be technical, it's always 2[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4436559]What if you're mechanical?[/QUOTE]

I use 2, but when I am feeling whimsical and artistic I go with 3.

Don't even get me started about this and aposiopesis.

:alien:

All Pro
    Actually, 2 spaces after the period is correct, I hate when people use just 1.

[QUOTE=Peebag;4436322]has it really come down to this? arguing about f*cking punctuation?

Maybe Borgo had the right idea.....[/QUOTE]...anyone hear from him..whats the latest?

All League
    One space is now standard. Two spaces was a convention from days of typewriters and otherwise poor typography. Another bygone convention is indenting the first word of a paragraph.

2 spaces for a period, 1 space for a comma.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=frostlich;4436293]Do you use one or two spaces after a period?

For the record, I'm against the single space. It's another example of the lazy people trying to take over everything. ****ing dillholes.[/QUOTE]

+1.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4436600]One space is now standard. Two spaces was a convention from days of typewriters and otherwise poor typography. Another bygone convention is indenting the first word of a paragraph.[/QUOTE]

DING. DING we have a winner.

But you can still indent the first line of a paragraph if you don't have spaces between paragraphs.

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4436600]Another bygone convention is indenting the first word of a paragraph.[/QUOTE]

I never understood why just a space wasn't a sufficient enough indicator...

Maybe someone can enlighten me...

Veteran
    I always used two spaces because it stretched a 6-pg paper into a 7-pg paper :yes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4436777]I never understood why just a space wasn't a sufficient enough indicator...

Maybe someone can enlighten me...[/QUOTE]

Typewriters were so crude that letterspacing was uneven.. sometimes spaces between letters could almost look like a real space so it became common practice to use 2 spaces to be sure it looked like enough space between sentences.

[QUOTE=FF2;4436792]Typewriters were so crude that letterspacing was uneven.. sometimes spaces between letters could almost look like a real space so it became common practice to use 2 spaces to be sure it looked like enough space between sentences.[/QUOTE]

That one I get... It's the 'tab' when starting a new paragraph that makes no sense...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4436804]That one I get... It's the 'tab' when starting a new paragraph that makes no sense...[/QUOTE]

You indent to start anew paragraph OR put line spacing between paragraphs, but not both.

Gives a visual clue to take a short rest.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=FF2;4436832]You indent to start anew paragraph OR put line spacing between paragraphs, but not both.

Gives a visual clue to take a short rest.[/QUOTE]

Oh man this is riveting.....

space

space

space

Warfist slash/

space

-

[QUOTE=32green;4436836]Oh man this is riveting.....

space

space

space

Warfist slash/

space

-[/QUOTE]

Deek...

I lol'd...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=32green;4436836]Oh man this is riveting.....

space

space

space

Warfist slash/

space

-[/QUOTE]

They all can't be Denali talk. :rolleyes:

Practice Squad
    [URL="http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html"]rant on double spacers[/URL]

Two spaces are bull

All Pro
    [QUOTE=justinwillianm;4437994]Two spaces are bull[/QUOTE]

This .

Oh, and two spaces after a period is prefered to keep from getting blood on your d!ck. You want to risk it with one, then be my guest.

Seriously though, one space is correct, but I learned two spaces as child and it is habit now. I'm sure most of us are in the same boat. I'd break it, but why the F would I care about spaces after a period?

Let the next generation learn the correct way (texting and tweeting is certainly helping). Let the rest of us do whatever we want before we die.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DrPepperFries;4438451]Oh, and two spaces after a period is prefered to keep from getting blood on your d!ck. You want to risk it with one, then be my guest.

Seriously though, one space is correct, but I learned two spaces as child and it is habit now. I'm sure most of us are in the same boat. I'd break it, but why the F would I care about spaces after a period?

Let the next generation learn the correct way (texting and tweeting is certainly helping). Let the rest of us do whatever we want before we die.[/QUOTE]

I'm beginning to like the DPF.....