Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets will be '2 different teams'

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jets will be '2 different teams'

[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27[/url]

With two quarterbacks with such different styles, the New York Jets will operate their offense like "two different teams," according to left guard Matt Slauson.

Slauson, speaking at a charity event in New York on Monday night, said players were given that impression Monday as the Jets officially began their offseason program.

"It's like we're going to be two separate teams, but as far as I know, Mark (Sanchez) is still going to be our guy," Slauson said of new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano's plan to deploy both Sanchez and new acquisition Tim Tebow.

The Jets have maintained that Tebow, the No. 2 quarterback, will be used in the Wildcat formation, but a source told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio on Monday that New York will use Tebow as an H-Back, a fullback and as a running back.

Special teams coach Mike Westhoff has said he plans to use Tebow as the "personal protector" on the punt team.

Meanwhile, Sanchez, the No. 5 overall pick in 2009, will remain the starter as the Jets return to the "Ground and Pound" attack that coach Rex Ryan prefers.

"You guys will be really surprised by what Mark's going to do this year," Slauson said. "The way we're going to be running things plays right into Mark's strengths, running the ball. It'll be very similar to what we did in Rex's first two years, very much a style like that -- heavy run, heavy play action and whipping out a deep ball every now and again. That's all the stuff Mark does really well."

Ryan reiterated Monday that Sanchez is the Jets' starter.

"There's no question about it. That's how we look at it, but we know that Tim can help us, too. There's no doubt. ... Mark is our starting quarterback," Ryan said during a conference call Monday. "We've said that. We understand Tim is a backup quarterback, but we also recognize the fact that this guy's an excellent football player and we're going to use his abilities."

The Jets briefly flirted with the idea of going after Peyton Manning before it was clear the former Indianapolis Colts star wasn't interested. New York then signed Sanchez to a three-year contract extension, showing confidence and a commitment to its young quarterback.

But things quickly -- and surprisingly -- changed as Manning signed with Denver, and the Broncos traded Tebow to the Jets for draft picks last month. Suddenly, the Jets had perhaps the NFL's most popular player at the same position in which they have a guy they drafted in the first round four years ago and have won four road playoff games with. Sanchez's role came into question, along with speculation over when -- not if -- Tebow will eventually overtake him for the starting job.

Sanchez has been widely criticized since the end of last season after he struggled to progress as many expected. A few unnamed Jets were also quoted in reports knocking the quarterback's abilities. Center Nick Mangold doesn't think Tebow's presence and high profile will cause Sanchez added anxiety.

"I think Mark's going to continue to be the same player and he's going to work his butt off, and he's going to be the quarterback that we need him to be," Mangold said. "If Mark was wishy-washy in his thoughts of his abilities and what his role was, I could see that creeping in, but Mark understands what he needs to do. And I think that sets the clear line. There's a lot of great backups in the league who can do the same things, but just don't have the same following that Tim does."

Ryan stunned many at the recent league meetings when he told reporters that Tebow could be used up to 20 plays per game.

"As much as any other trade or movement gets done, if it's going to help our team, I'm all for it," Mangold said. "I'm excited. Tim's won, obviously, a lot of games and brings a new dynamic for our offense."

Added Ryan: "We're extremely happy to have both of them."

Sweet. Hopefully 1 of them will actually be good

[QUOTE=SlickBri481;4437265]Sweet. Hopefully 1 of them will actually be good[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it's the one with the QB that throws.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Our O-line looked confused most of the time with a system they supposedly knew.
    Imagine these dullards learning multiple schemes :eek:

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Piper;4438261]Our O-line looked confused most of the time with a system they supposedly knew.
    Imagine these dullards learning multiple schemes :eek:[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that Slauson also said that the blocking schemes of Sparano's are alot easier to understand. In Shotty's O the line had to identify and understand what the line does as well as what each skill position is doing, then make the proper adjustments. in Sparano's they only have to know what the line call is That being said there may still be hope for Ducasse (albeit slim) if it's true that grasping the schemes is his problem.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :D the Jets has a BAD 8-8 year after two stellar years.....Jets are still a good team and i don't envision another 8:D-8 season....bottom line is the Jets will be a major headache for many teams in 2012. I think Tebow will be more dangerous in a package than as a starter. Jets will also make add more pieces with 10 draft picks......makes no sense to harp on 2011 when we have a new OC (that makes a huge difference) sorry but Sparano is a much better OC than Shotty was. Shotty had sanchez on a leash.....at USC one of Sanchez strengths was the roll out yet shotty kept him in the pocket....sanchez is most dangerour when he has freedom to use his mobility.

Veteran
    This team was horrible from the first snap of the season and still won 8 games!
    It's not as bleak as some believe.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :DGood point.......the fact that 8-8 is a horrid season shows how far the Jets have come......2011 should have been a major wake up call for the Jets....many lessons were learned in 2011.....fact is too many people forget about the 2009 and 2010 seasons.....this is a veteran team and if Landry can stay healthy (if) thats a major upgrade.....we also have (TEN) picks in the draft. Its of course speculation but this current regime has had more success than failures.

[QUOTE=chops44;4438343]This team was horrible from the first snap of the season and still won 8 games!
    It's not as bleak as some believe.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=chops44;4438343]This team was horrible from the first snap of the season and still won 8 games!
    It's not as bleak as some believe.[/QUOTE]

If the goal is to be 8-8 I would agree.

The Tim Tebow trade was stupid.

One's a pretty boy from Cali, the others a devoted Christian born to missionaries staying in the Phillipines...

I smell sitcom!

or Hark knocks...

But seriously do we have to hear about Tebow EVERY day?

I have a feeling one of our QB's Tebow or Sanchez is going to be traded on draft day. Mark it down!!:yes:

Zero out of the last 46 Superbowl champions have incorporated a "two-team offense".

All League
    We'll confuse defenses on whether to look for an interception or a fumble

All League
    This is going to be an interesting season

All Pro
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;4438700]We'll confuse defenses on whether to look for an interception or a fumble[/QUOTE]

lol that was funny $hite..........:D

All League
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4438709]lol that was funny $hite..........:D[/QUOTE]

The thread title is great as well. I mean only the Jets could come up with a solution for a fractured locker room last year is to create 2 teams this year. Makes sense.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

When you have two, you really have none!!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=NYJets4life;4438162]Hopefully it's the one with the QB that throws.[/QUOTE]

I am hoping it is the one that can lead his team and make his teamates better and repair a lockerroom myself. :yes:

what good is a throwing QB that throws to the wrong team. :confused:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;4438719]The thread title is great as well. I mean only the Jets could come up with a solution for a fractured locker room last year is to create 2 teams this year. Makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Hence why i think they will really try and trade sanchez at the draft.