Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: NY State ELA Exam

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ROFLMAO, today's the NYS Math exam and the hits just keep on coming!

[url]http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/2012/04/more-errors-on-pearsons-nys-math-exams.html[/url]

More errors on the Pearson's NYS math exams this week

Given reports today of more errors in this week's 4th grade and 8th grade NYS math exams (see below), added to the absurd passage and questions on the 8th grade ELA exam, now known as Pineapplegate, we say three strikes and you’re out. Pearson should be made to forfeit their $32 million contract.
    If our children make errors on these high-stakes exams, this will have negative consequences for them, as well as for their teachers and schools. So why should Pearson, which had nearly $2 billion in profits last year, be left off the hook for their sloppy mistakes? Where's the accountability for them?

Message from NYSED to NYS principals last night:
    Re 4th grade math: “Question 58 on all test forms has two correct answers. If during this test any student asks about Question 58, proctors may advise the student that there are two correct answers to this question.”
    And re 8th grade math: “Due to a typographical error, there is no correct answer to Question 13 on this test form. Proctors may tell students before the test begins that there is no correct answer for this question and students should mark any answer to this question on their answer sheets. Because it is an embedded field test question, Question 13 does not count toward students’ scores.”

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4445339]ROFLMAO, today's the NYS Math exam and the hits just keep on coming!

[url]http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/2012/04/more-errors-on-pearsons-nys-math-exams.html[/url]

Given reports today of more errors in this week's 4th grade and 8th grade NYS math exams (see below), added to the absurd passage and questions on the 8th grade ELA exam, now known as Pineapplegate, we say three strikes and you’re out. Pearson should be made to forfeit their $32 million contract.
    If our children make errors on these high-stakes exams, this will have negative consequences for them, as well as for their teachers and schools. So why should Pearson, which had nearly $2 billion in profits last year, be left off the hook for their sloppy mistakes? Where's the accountability for them?

Re 4th grade math: “Question 58 on all test forms has two correct answers. If during this test any student asks about Question 58, proctors may advise the student that there are two correct answers to this question.”
    And re 8th grade math: “Due to a typographical error, there is no correct answer to Question 13 on this test form. Proctors may tell students before the test begins that there is no correct answer for this question and students should mark any answer to this question on their answer sheets. Because it is an embedded field test question, Question 13 does not count toward students’ scores.”[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!!

Great job, Pearson. Wrong answers on math tests. lolzz...I guess they forgot to ask if rarely is our children learning.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4445339]ROFLMAO, today's the NYS Math exam and the hits just keep on coming!

And re 8th grade math: “Due to a typographical error, there is no correct answer to Question 13 on this test form. Proctors may tell students before the test begins that there is no correct answer for this question and students should mark any answer to this question on their answer sheets. Because it is an embedded field test question, Question 13 does not count toward students’ scores.”[/QUOTE]

The Roman Empire had a nice long run, so did the Brits, the end of our run is rapidly approaching. Ours could have been avoided though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4445299]Most students don't want to learn. That is why so many of them are a disruption. If they all wanted to learn then you would have an easy job. There is no guarantee and I would say it is much more likely that those non-English speaking kids are NOT Americans. Many are probably illegal.[/QUOTE]

I think this is what gets teachers so riled up -- they're told to get results, but the "clients" they work with fight them tooth and nail in getting anything accomplished.

It's like a doctor being held responsible for patients who refuse to take their medicine. Or lawyers for defendants who won't give them any info to work with. Or financial advisers whose clients refuse to follow their advice.

In each case, the person could walk away saying "Well, I did all I could", but teachers can't do that. It doesn't matter WHY the kids are failing, they are and it's the teacher's fault.

You'll never hear me complain about teacher pay/benefits, because I do believe they are well taken care of. But I also believe those "perks" are more deserved than many out there seem to think . . .

(FTR, I agree with pension contributions. I feel I should be compensated for what I have to do in the classroom, but once I "hang 'em up" it's not someone else's responsibility to make sure I live comfortably . . .)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4445394]LMFAO!!

Great job, Pearson. Wrong answers on math tests. lolzz...I guess they forgot to ask if rarely is our children learning.[/QUOTE]

EIGHT MONTHS of tedious/boring test prep, pre tests, post test, test packets, and stress for students and the billion dollar profit company cant get a test without many errors and questionable readings correct?

I guess 32 MILLION DOLLARS for a test wasn't enough.

That 32 MILLION could have bought a lot of paper and pens for the kids.

Probably built a few new schools to alleviate the over crowding also.

Aggggh, that's not important, what's important is to create tests so students fail and teachers can be blamed and threatened to lose their jobs.

And they want to fire the teachers based on the scores from exams like this?

You cant make this up!........
    Last edited by copernicus; 04-25-2012 at 12:15 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4445455]I think this is what gets teachers so riled up -- they're told to get results, but the "clients" they work with fight them tooth and nail in getting anything accomplished.

It's like a doctor being held responsible for patients who refuse to take their medicine. Or lawyers for defendants who won't give them any info to work with. Or financial advisers whose clients refuse to follow their advice.

In each case, the person could walk away saying "Well, I did all I could", but teachers can't do that. It doesn't matter WHY the kids are failing, they are and it's the teacher's fault.

You'll never hear me complain about teacher pay/benefits, because I do believe they are well taken care of. But I also believe those "perks" are more deserved than many out there seem to think . . .

(FTR, I agree with pension contributions. I feel I should be compensated for what I have to do in the classroom, but once I "hang 'em up" it's not someone else's responsibility to make sure I live comfortably . . .)[/QUOTE]

Well said............

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4445458]
    Probably built a few new schools to alleviate the over crowding also.
    [/QUOTE]

lmao... A teacher so out of touch with reality...

When my old high school was torn down, a new one replaced it... For more than double what you're saying could build a few schools... A few... For $32 million... lolz

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4446029]lmao... A teacher so out of touch with reality...

When my old high school was torn down, a new one replaced it... For more than double what you're saying could build a few schools... A few... For $32 million... lolz[/QUOTE]

So your response to politicians wasting 32 million dollars of OUR tax payer money on a test given to kids with the sole purpose to try a prove why teachers dont deserve their jobs is that I miscalculated the cost of a school building? Really? No response at all to the [I]businessmen politician's[/I] "friends" at Pearson who screwed up TWO state exams with obvious wrong answers and typos but all you got is that I am out of touch because I miscalculated the cost of a something that is out of my field of work?

Each year I am asked to hand in a couple of sets of exams to my principal to look over. Exams that I create. No cut and paste, all from scratch. I am far from perfect in this department, but I know to use spell check before my principal reads it. It is almost NOT BELIEVABLE that Pearson could screw the test up this badly. What do you think the least amount of people proof reading these exams could be? 20? More? Almost like they want it to fail so the system can be privatize and reall money could be made with no regulations to protect the students. What a shame that all these tests are ONLY to make a profit on the backs of students.

But back to your response AGAW

Got it, 32 million doesnt build a school. So how would 32 million go for school supplies? Copy machines and ink to print materials for kids? New textbooks? Student desks? Clean up mold in existing buildings like mine?Sports equipment? Air conditioning rooms for buildings that have none in 2012?

Would 80 million be closer to building a new school? Because Mayor Bloomberg spent that much on a computer system that tries to set up a GIANT "GOTTCHA" to teachers in his quest to fire them. Many criticize this computer system that no one can seem to navigate or understand. Again, OUR money well spent by businessmen posing as politicians who will spend to no end in their quest to fire teachers and subsequently ignore students needs in the process.

[url]http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/2007/03/aris-critics-ibm-responds-march-7-2007.html[/url]

March 7, 2007 (GBN News): Critics have raised numerous questions about the DOE’s institution of a new supercomputer system, ARIS (Achievement Reporting and Information System), to track academic performance. To answer these criticisms, GBN News interviewed a key figure in this program, IBM Assistant Senior Vice President for Educational Public Relations, Fredrick Lerner. Excerpts of the interview follow:

GBN News: Mr. Lerner, 80 million dollars for a computer system is a lot of money. How can the city justify this sort of expense?
    Lerner: New York is expensive. Things cost a lot of money here. We’re here to do a job for you, and we do it right. You don’t think we can do our job if we eat lunch at McDonald’s, do you? If you want the job done right, you pay us for Le Bernadin.
    GBN News: OK, but I actually wasn’t referring to your expense accounts. What I meant was, what are the capabilities of ARIS that can justify the 80 million dollar expense?
    Lerner: It’s an amazing system. It can track just about anything, down to the most minute detail; from standardized tests to bathroom visits.
    GBN News: Bathroom visits??
    Lerner: You know, back in the old days, teachers used to keep track of those things. Remember the old “number one” and “number two”? It was obviously quantifiable, but they never actually did anything with that data. Now that we have the technological capability to track it, imagine all the ways we can use it!
    GBN News: I think I’ll pass on that one. Changing the subject, critics say the system has no bearing on the quality of education for the children. How would you answer that charge?
    Lerner: Nothing can be further from the truth. ARIS can track students’ achievement on a minute to minute basis. Remember those quizzes the whole class would bomb out on? Obviously, a teacher not doing his or her job, but you wouldn’t know it until the end of the semester. With ARIS, school administrators will find this out immediately. The teacher gets called in and reprimanded, and the kids had better improve tomorrow or that teacher will be looking for another career.
    GBN News: Smart teacher! One last question: Many critics have suggested that a system that can track such minute detail smacks of “Big Brother”. How do you address that concern?
    Lerner: You don’t think the DOE hires those high priced consultants for nothing, do you? With Alvarez and Marsal around, that 80 million will be cut down to size before you know it. The DOE will be lucky if it can use ARIS to play solitaire.
    GBN News: Well, I’m sure that will be a great comfort. Thank you, Mr. Lerner, for your time.
    Lerner: Thank you. Let’s see, that took about 15 minutes. At $650 an hour, that will be $162.50.
    Last edited by copernicus; 04-26-2012 at 07:28 AM.