Thread: "Tired of the Police Department bleeding money." City Council President

"Tired of the Police Department bleeding money." City Council President

What I have been stating for some time now!!!!

[B][SIZE="4"]Woman, 90, Locked Officer In Basement, Settles With Police[/SIZE][/B]

[QUOTE]An elderly woman got the last word after locking a police officer in her basement, and later suing the police.

Venus Green, who was 87 when she was handcuffed, roughed up and injured by police, will receive $95,000 as part of a settlement with Baltimore City. The city chose to settle the case instead of taking a chance in front of a jury.

"We thought we would have a difficult time in front of a city jury, or any jury," Baltimore City solicitor George Nilson said.

Green was so put out by what police officers did, the city said she locked one of them in her basement.

"I was treated like a criminal ... He dragged me, threw me across the chair, put handcuffs on me and just started calling me the 'b' name. He ridiculed me."
    - Venus Green
    "I was treated like a criminal," said Green, a retired educator who's now 90.

In July 2009, Green's grandson, Tallie, was shot and wounded. Tallie said he was shot at a convenience store, but police insisted it happened inside Green's house and that the shooter was either Tallie or Green.

"Police kept questioning him. They wouldn't let the ambulance attendant treat him," Green said. "So, I got up and said, 'Sir, would you please let the attendants treat him? He's in pain,'" Green said.

Green said the officer said to her, "Oh, you did it, come on, let's go inside. I'll prove where that blood is. You did it."

Police wanted to go the basement, where Tallie lived, but Green refused on the basis that the police did not have a warrant.

"I said, 'No, you don't have a warrant. You don't go down in my house like that. He wasn't shot in here.'" Green said the officer replied, "I'm going to find that gun. I'm going to prove that you did it."

A struggle ensued between a male officer and Green.

"He dragged me, threw me across the chair, put handcuffs on me and just started calling me the 'b' name. He ridiculed me," Green said.

An officer went into the basement and Green locked him inside.

"She locked the door, the basement door. She basically took matters into her own hands," Nilson said.

"This was my private home, and if I latched it, that was my prerogative because he had no search warrant to go in my basement. So, I had to right to latch it," Green said.

Green said she suffered a separated shoulder in the scuffle, and she sued the Police Department for assault and violations of her rights.

"I was once a block watcher, department head of a high school. (I've) been around education for over 50 years. (I'm a) law-abiding citizen, I've never been arrested, I paid my taxes, owned my home, my husband died 34 years ago. (I) raised my son and I have been brutally abused," Green said. "I feel like the Police Department needs to go back to school."

[B][COLOR="Red"]In the past two fiscal years, the city has paid out $16.8 million in claims against the Police Department. [/COLOR][/B]City Council President Jack Young voted against this settlement and others, saying he is "tired of the Police Department bleeding money."[/QUOTE]

[url]http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/2012/04/woman-90-locked-officer-in-basement.html[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Is the bleeding money problem because of the police officers, or is it because of our insanely litigious society and the scumbag lawyers looking to get their mugs on TV and become insanely rich by suing cops -- cops who are doing a job those scumbag lawyers couldn't imagine?

[QUOTE=shakin318;4439029]Is the bleeding money problem because of the police officers, or is it because of our insanely litigious society and the scumbag lawyers looking to get their mugs on TV and become insanely rich by suing cops -- cops who are doing a job those scumbag lawyers couldn't imagine?[/QUOTE]

If you follow jetdawggs posts you know it's because cops all suck.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=shakin318;4439029]Is the bleeding money problem because of the police officers, or is it because of our insanely litigious society and the scumbag lawyers looking to get their mugs on TV and become insanely rich by suing cops -- cops who are doing a job those scumbag lawyers couldn't imagine?[/QUOTE]

No way the lawyers have the Bar to make sure they stay in line.

[IMG]http://media.wnyc.org/media/photologue/photos/cache/sanfordpolice_medium_image.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://unknow8.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/momoney.gif?w=500[/IMG]

The cops.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4438853] Green said the officer said to her, "Oh, you did it, come on, let's go inside. I'll prove where that blood is. You did it."

[/QUOTE]

Makes perfect sense.:rolleyes:

Find the weakest 90 year old woman around and accuse her of shooting her grandson.

Doesnt sound concocted at all.

Btw....over under on the fact that there is a file laying somewhere in some Police Dept.'s Applicant Investigation Unit with a rubber stamped "failed psychological" and Jetdawggs name on it?

:dunno:

-

Jets Insider VIP
    File this under the "not sure why we're even responding to this thread" header.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

90 year old grandma allegedly in handcuffs and with an alleged dislocated shoulder manages to lock a police officer in her basement, where he is unable to free himself due to the incredible resilience of the interior hollow core door. None of his backup team happens to notice his frantic screams and radio calls for help, as they were all out framing and robbing the homeowner next door.

What's so hard to believe?

Wait, I think I just heard Reverend Al's helicopter break the horizon.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=cr726;4439043]No way the lawyers have the Bar to make sure they stay in line.[/QUOTE]

Your anti-LE stance in this thread is duly noted.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4439269]Your anti-LE stance in this thread is duly noted.[/QUOTE]

I've been sued on the job, it isn't fun.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4439273]I've been sued on the job, it isn't fun.[/QUOTE]

Who told you your job was supposed to be fun? You watch too much Oprah.

My job is fun.

[QUOTE=Trades;4439287]Who told you your job was supposed to be fun? You watch too much Oprah.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;4439043]No way the lawyers have the Bar to make sure they stay in line.[/QUOTE]

lol yea and cops monitor their own as well

I guess the Bar missed one of their own? I'm shocked! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]
    NY-BASED ATTORNEY PLEADS GUILTY TO ROLE IN EXTENSIVE IMMIGRATION FRAUD MILL
    WRITTEN BY FEDAGENT ON 19 APRIL 2012. POSTED IN THE TAKEDOWN
    A Manhattan-based attorney has pled guilty to operating an extensive immigration fraud mill scheme through his law practice, the Department of Labor (DOL) Office of Inspector General (OIG) and Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara recently announced.

Earl David admitted that he and his co-conspirators submitted false claims to labor and immigration personnel over a 13-year period concerning tens of thousands of illegal immigrants which they purportedly found employment sponsorships and helped obtain legal status in the United States.

“As he admitted today, for more than a decade, Earl David used his law firm as a front for an immigration fraud mill that deceived authorities and exploited thousands of people who were seeking a legal path to citizenship,” Bharara said.

David’s law firm, which would charge up to $30,000 per client, would apply for and obtain DOL certifications based on fraudulent claims that the illegal aliens were being sponsored by U.S. employers. In many cases, the sponsor employers were shell companies that did not exist other than to further the illegal immigration scheme. The firm would also use phony documents, including fake pay stubs, tax returns and experience letters, to show the sponsorships were real. David and the firm recruited many individuals to further the scheme, including accountants who agreed to produce fake tax returns for the sponsor companies, a DOL employee who helped ensure certifications were granted and dozens of other individuals who agreed to misrepresent to DOL that they were sponsoring aliens for employment.

As a result of the scheme, DOL issued thousands of certifications, and immigration authorities granted legal status to thousands of illegal aliens who did not meet the legal requirements. David’s firm shut down after federal search warrants were executed at several of the firm’s locations in 2009.*

David faces a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison after pleading guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit immigration fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud. David also agreed to forfeit more than $2.5 million.[/QUOTE]