Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Tax Return question-----does this semm right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Tax Return question-----does this semm right?

im not a tax expert, but i do my own while following the book and find it straightforward.....

anyway i have a friend going through a divorce. hubby said that they should do married filing seperately.

she works p/t and made about 25k. from a pay stub i figured out she is paying 15% to federal taxes (which seem right)

anyway she just got her taxes done. she is getting back a WHOPPING $8k.

how can this possibly be? she declared one kid as a dependent and the guy gave her head of the household but she didnt write off property taxes/mortg interest

like i said im not an expert but im sharp on this stuff. she paid probably no more than 3,500 in taxes.......so how can you get back 8k? i dont even think she qualifies for head of the household because she isnt the breadwinner (obviously)

please advise

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like she entered the wrong info....maybe she added an extra zero to that 25k by accident...With all of her write offs, she should be paying that 15% and then getting back a third of that in returns...no way 8k is right.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    you should tell her to go talk to a tax accountant or she'll probably wind up paying a whole lot of it back in the future...plus, the whole divorce thing, if you don't know what you're doing when it comes to taxes, can get quite confusing and complex...she should definitely be dealing with a professional.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    By putting her as head of household. She qualifies for the Earned income credit. Which could be that high.

As long as they have not lived together for more than half the previous year she can file that way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gark2k;4439576]you should tell her to go talk to a tax accountant or she'll probably wind up paying a whole lot of it back in the future...plus, the whole divorce thing, if you don't know what you're doing when it comes to taxes, can get quite confusing and complex...she should definitely be dealing with a professional.[/QUOTE]

she went to a pro.......thats whats concerning me. she doesnt know anything about them. i dont want her to get screwed. really, how do these numbers add up?

even if she was able to write off 15k, that would mean she would have to pay tax on 10k (25k-15k=10k) which is about 1000 bucks, so if she paid 3500 in taxes that would give her a 2500 return which seem more reasonable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Shotzy;4439578]By putting her as head of household. She qualifies for the Earned income credit. Which could be that high.

As long as they have not lived together for more than half the previous year she can file that way.[/QUOTE]

the book says clearly that head of the household must be the party that provides more than 50% of the income for the family. she doesnt, he does.

earned income credit/ ILL LOOK INTO THAT

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dickkotite;4439584]the book says clearly that head of the household must be the party that provides more than 50% of the income for the family. she doesnt, he does.

earned income credit/ ILL LOOK INTO THAT[/QUOTE]

It is because the tax system is also a welfare system. $25k + deductions + earned income tax credits and other stuff can get you back more than you paid in. But it is the people that are paying 80% of the tax burden that are not being fair to the other 99% of the population. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4439645]It is because the tax system is also a welfare system. $25k + deductions + earned income tax credits and other stuff can get you back more than you paid in. But it is the people that are paying 80% of the tax burden that are not being fair to the other 99% of the population. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

+1

its all about redistribution of wealth, communist b1tchess!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    okg now its a political thread. thanks

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dickkotite;4439686]okg now its a political thread. thanks[/QUOTE]

not really - that's just the way the tax code is written currently.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    She could be lying.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    numbers

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dickkotite;4439561]im not a tax expert, but i do my own while following the book and find it straightforward.....

anyway i have a friend going through a divorce. hubby said that they should do married filing seperately.

she works p/t and made about 25k. from a pay stub i figured out she is paying 15% to federal taxes (which seem right)

how can this possibly be? she declared one kid as a dependent and the guy gave her head of the household but she didnt write off property taxes/mortg interest

like i said im not an expert but im sharp on this stuff. she paid probably no more than 3,500 in taxes.......so how can you get back 8k? i dont even think she qualifies for head of the household because she isnt the breadwinner (obviously)

please advise[/QUOTE]

Its possible...... HOH is permitted if she has a written separation agreement OR lived apart 6 months. Then the Liberal Welfare" system takes over and she gets ALL her money back, a $1,000 credit and an Earned income credit.

IF her husband filed as single...she wont get caught.

What a country.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4439992]Its possible...... HOH is permitted if she has a written separation agreement OR lived apart 6 months. Then the Liberal Welfare" system takes over and she gets ALL her money back, a $1,000 credit and an Earned income credit.

IF her husband filed as single...she wont get caught.

What a country.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. Multiply her by 2 million and you get what GE was allowed to escape in taxes.

Being middle class in this country means getting it in both pipes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dickkotite;4439561]im not a tax expert, but i do my own while following the book and find it straightforward.....

please advise[/QUOTE]

She should've done her taxes online