Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who remembers the Etan Patz disappearance in NYC?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    reminds me of a random, funny but tasteless event from circa 1996

i was flounder fishing with my buddies on the south sure. hell yeah we were drunk. my buddy hooked something heavy but it didnt fight. as he was pulling this up he kept saying " what the f is this.....what the f is this ?" and then when it was a trailer tire he said "i though it was eton pace for a minute...."
    ...wasn't funny either...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    ...didn't he admit to abducting the Etan...?
    No. Instead, the judge found him "responsible" for Etan's death because he wouldn't answer questions in the deposition, which violated the judges orders.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    No. Instead, the judge found him "responsible" for Etan's death because he wouldn't answer questions in the deposition, which violated the judges orders.
    The search warrant today could turn this decision upside down.

-

All Pro
    I really hope what they are saying prompted this new search isn't true. Supposedly the cops were bluffed into not digging up this handyman's newly poured cement basement floor 30+ years ago because the guy said they would have to pay for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Post
    Etan Patz may never have made it off Prince Street.

The 6-year-old boy, whose disappearance in 1979 riveted New Yorkers and sparked an international manhunt, might be buried in a SoHo basement — just steps from his family’s home — where a creepy local handyman kept a woodworking shop, authorities said yesterday.

Stunning new evidence developed in recent weeks suggests that Etan’s remains were hidden at 127 Prince St., authorities said.

Othniel Miller, now 75, had his workshop there and had given Etan a dollar for helping out the night before the youngster vanished on May 25, 1979, law-enforcement sources told The Post.

Etan — whose photo was the first of missing-kid alerts to be put on the side of a milk carton — was last seen walking from his home on his way to a bus stop at Prince and West Broadway for the ride to school. It was the first time he was allowed to make the trip on his own.

His route would have taken him right past Miller’s workshop site.

The boy was officially declared dead in 2001, and District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. reopened the case in 2010.

Police actually had Miller in their sights shortly after Etan vanished, when they spotted a freshly poured concrete floor in his shop. But they never dug it up after Miller told them they’d have to pay for a new one.

Miller was married and had a 9-year-old daughter and 16-year-old son at the time Etan vanished, said a relative. Divorced since 1986, the Jamaican immigrant now lives on Quincy Street in Brooklyn. He has not been charged and is not in custody — although sources called him “the target” of the probe.

He remained holed up yesterday in his apartment, where he was visited by FBI agents.

The potential breakthrough came after probers interviewed Etan’s mother, Julie, who told them they should talk to Miller again.

After questioning him, the feds put “scent pads” — which absorb and retain odors — in the basement and then brought the pads to an FBI cadaver dog.

The dog “got a hit,” which means the pooch got the scent of human remains from the pads, sources said.

The feds then brought the dog to the basement and got another hit, the sources said.

“They let this dog loose and it sniffed around and went in the boiler room,” said Stephen Kuzma, 78, the building manager at 127 Prince.

“For a couple of weeks now, I’ve had FBI agents checking in and I took them to the basement.”

Agents went back to Miller, who blurted out, “What if the body was moved?” after being told of the dog’s discovery.

Miller originally fell under suspicion because he worked out of a nearby building that housed the city’s first gay-erotic art gallery.

Cops noticed the new cement basement floor and talked about using jackhammers before deciding it wasn’t worth the cost.

Miller also had what cops believed at the time was a credible alibi, sources said.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne acknowledged yesterday that the space had been looked at before, and described the new search as a painstaking process.

“There will be a systematic removal of things like drywall and eventually the digging up of the basement, digging up the concrete and getting to the dirt underneath, and a careful screening of that material,” which will be stored at a special landfill, he said.

Browne said forensics experts from the FBI and NYPD will work around the clock in the 16-by-62 foot space.

A team of 40 investigators from the FBI, the NYPD and the Manhattan DA’s Office started clearing the basement of the SoHo building at about 8:30 a.m. yesterday searching for evidence and the possible remains.

Last night, Browne said digging had begun on the north wall, but nothing was found.

Investigators are looking for human remains, clothing or other personal effects that could lead to Etan’s identification, he said.

“Obviously, we’re hopeful that we’ll find evidence in the disappearance of Etan Patz. There is obviously probable cause that exists for us to be here,” said FBI spokesman Tim Flannelly at the scene.

Cops and FBI agents swarmed the neighborhood surrounding the seven-story building and cordoned off a section of Prince between West Broadway and Wooster Street, a block filled with galleries, lofts and clothing boutiques.

“Time doesn’t matter to us and the NYPD in investigations like this. He was 6 when he disappeared and we’re not going to quit,” Flannelly said.

“We are hoping we can provide some sense of closure to the investigation and to the family.”

Miller’s family was not aware that he was being targeted in the revived investigation, said a woman who answered the phone at the home of his daughter, Angella, last night.

She identified herself as Miller’s granddaughter, and said the family has little contact with him.

Etan’s parents, Stan and Julie, declined comment yesterday. Late last night, Etan’s drained-looking dad stepped outside to post a sign on their door asking for privacy.

Lisa Cohen, author of “After Etan,” a 2009 book about the case, told The Post she talked to Stan Patz yesterday and he was taking a cautious attitude toward the new disclosures.

“There have been so many ‘Aha!’ moments in this case but they don’t pan out. He is taking a wait-and-see posture. If they find something, they find something,” Cohen said.

For years after Etan vanished, Stan Patz, a commercial photographer, tirelessly distributed photos of his son in hopes of keeping their search on the public’s mind.

Images of the smiling, blond boy were plastered all over New York, and also on milk cartons.

Milk-carton pictures soon became a regular tactic in missing-child cases.

“When this case broke in 1979, it probably gained the kind of attraction we hadn’t seen since the Lindbergh kidnapping,” said Browne. “So this was a very high-profile case. It was before the coverage by cable TV of missing children around the country.”

Investigators have apparently backed away from the decades-old assumption that Etan was abducted by convicted pedophile José Ramos.

Ramos, now in prison in Dallas, Pa., in an unrelated case, was never charged in Etan’s disappearance.
    Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz1sa0L23Pb

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Cops noticed the new cement basement floor and talked about using jackhammers before deciding it wasn’t worth the cost.

Sadly, not surprising.

-

Hall Of Fame
    well whats the big deal? break the concrete and have a look see

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    ..it was different back then...i walked to school by myself in first grade...
    I there were just as many sickos, we just didnt know about it. I just remember being 6 in the Nassau county 'burbs, and my stay-at-home mom walking me to the bus a half a block away. Different times.

Its going to be a real shame if this case has been open for 30 years because they didnt want to rip up concrete because of the cost.

Hall Of Fame
    I never understood how parents could let a 6 yo walk to a bus stop in NYC (or almost anywhere for that matter). My parents watched me and my brothers like hawks, especially after an incident in the 60s with me.

We were in Alexander's in Valley Stream (1966?). I'm with my mom and grandmother shopping. They turn around for 2 mins, and they start freaking out when they don't see me. Then they see a woman leading me out the door. They're screaming, calling for security. Security stops the woman and she says she was taking me to a security guard. Out the door. In the opposite direction from the security guard.

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I never understood how parents could let a 6 yo walk to a bus stop in NYC (or almost anywhere for that matter). My parents watched me and my brothers like hawks, especially after an incident in the 60s with me.

We were in Alexander's in Valley Stream (1966?). I'm with my mom and grandmother shopping. They turn around for 2 mins, and they start freaking out when they don't see me. Then they see a woman leading me out the door. They're screaming, calling for security. Security stops the woman and she says she was taking me to a security guard. Out the door. In the opposite direction from the security guard.
    whoa...had a somewhat similar incident in Flushing around that time, walking with my mom to a food store, a guy pulls up in a car, someone in the back opens the door and asks my mom if she wants to buy cheap milk, she grabbed us and ran. I can still remember it clearly.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    whoa...had a somewhat similar incident in Flushing around that time, walking with my mom to a food store, a guy pulls up in a car, someone in the back opens the door and asks my mom if she wants to buy cheap milk, she grabbed us and ran. I can still remember it clearly.
    too bad we can't just round these sicko's up a dispose of them... Two guys just recently got busted in Bergen County for trying to lure kids

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post

I guess you were lucky, and so was I. I got lost at Yankee Stadium in 1977 when I was 6. Of all days it was rain jacket day and because it was drizzling, almost everyone had a rain jacket on. I stopped for a second, turned around and my parents were not there. I went to a stranger who luckily took me to a cop who brought me to security. Luckily my parents found me there about 10 minutes later.

As a parent of two boys 4 and 7, we don't let them go anywhere alone. School is ONE BLOCK away and I don't think I will ever let them go by themselves. Just a crazier world today.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post

Mebbe your mom hated milk?

-

Banned
    Supposedly the cops were bluffed into not digging up this handyman's newly poured cement basement floor 30+ years ago because the guy said they would have to pay for a new one.
    If they find his remains those cops who made that decision should be fired and if they already retired strip them of their pensions.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Whoa. From as far back as I can remember, my parents would never let me out of their sight. In fact, until I was 18 they never let me out of the house. I think it's because I'm the special one -- I'm the only blonde-haired, blue-eyed person in our huge extended Korean family.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Whoa. From as far back as I can remember, my parents would never let me out of their sight. In fact, until I was 18 they never let me out of the house. I think it's because I'm the special one -- I'm the only blonde-haired, blue-eyed person in our huge extended Korean family.
    So im going to assume Fathers Day is a disturbing holiday at your house.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMCJETS View Post
    So im going to assume Fathers Day is a disturbing holiday at your house.
    No, it's the awesomest. I make the best Kim Chi -- although I'm sure if I posted my recipe you'd tell me I'm using the wrong ingredients.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    No, it's the awesomest. I make the best Kim Chi -- although I'm sure if I posted my recipe you'd tell me I'm using the wrong ingredients.
    I wouldnt know I dont eat Chinese,Korean,Thai cuisine.

Hall Of Fame
    Supposedly the cops were bluffed into not digging up this handyman's newly poured cement basement floor 30+ years ago because the guy said they would have to pay for a new one.
    Would've probably had to replace the entire sewer main as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCJETS View Post
    I wouldnt know I dont eat Chinese,Korean,Thai cuisine.
    Damn dude, thats a shame.

Thai food is tasty stuff.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Damn dude, thats a shame.

Thai food is tasty stuff.
    Long story.........lets just say I know what skinned frozen cats looks like.