Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If there was any hope that Manish was still a decent beat writer

[QUOTE=ASG0531;4440110]A 9-7 prediction isn't exactly crazy by anyone. Why are people getting up in arms over it? Expecting 6-10 or 12-4 is crazy.[/QUOTE]

9-7 sounds about right. Sparanos offense better not suck or that will quickly become 7-9.

Manish after a promising start has decomposed into a hack turd. F him and his rag bs

Free agency has a much greater effect on the immediate future. The impact of the draft is felt over a number of years. The exception being those 4-5 teams that end up with the handful of standout rookies. The 2009-11 drafts will have a greater impact on this season than the 2012 draft.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4440068]Is that an unreasonable position? Or is it the agreeing with Cimini part?

Still, even with Cimini, is that an unreasonable prediction for our season?

What's our O/U right now?[/QUOTE]

It's not a matter of negativity, but how you predict before the draft? It's crazy. It's still to early in the off-season for those type of game by game predictions.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4440240]If you want Jet articles, it's Cimini and Mehta, they have the sources and they break stories on twitter as fast as they come out. If you want actual Jets talk, the posters here blow away all/any of the beat writers.[/QUOTE]

eh...at least ya got the right word......blow.......:D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4440249]Free agency has a much greater effect on the immediate future. The impact of the draft is felt over a number of years. The exception being those 4-5 teams that end up with the handful of standout rookies. The 2009-11 drafts will have a greater impact on this season than the 2012 draft.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Usually the success or failure of a draft is felt 3 or 4 years down the road.

The 2008 draft has hamstrung the Jets from Day 1 of this regime (no passrusher). The 2009 class is still very much up in the air as is 2010. 2011 looks good thus far.

Long story short, the Jets better hope Sanchez becomes the player they hoped he would be when they drafted him. Two very high picks in '08 and '09 both might end up failing, one already is a colossal failure. When you take a QB that high and are wrong, it usually sets the franchise back. Jets were able to mask it bc they had such good rosters in '09 and '10. Now I think the picks are getting exposed.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 04-20-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4440081]Ummm... He's Indian[/QUOTE]

Sri Lankan.

But I suppose they all look alike. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4440608]I agree. Usually the success or failure of a draft is felt 3 or 4 years down the road.

The 2008 draft has hamstrung the Jets from Day 1 of this regime (no passrusher). The 2009 class is still very much up in the air as is 2010. 2011 looks good thus far.

Long story short, the Jets better hope Sanchez becomes the player they hoped he would be when they drafted him. Two very high picks in '08 and '09 both might end up failing, one already is a colossal failure. [B]When you take a QB that high and are wrong, it usually sets the franchise back.[/B] Jets were able to mask it bc they had such good rosters in '09 and '10. Now I think the picks are getting exposed.[/QUOTE]

This was true during the days when there was no rookie pay scale, when you were stuck paying $50M guaranteed to a player who had never taken an NFL snap. However, with the wage scale in place, going high for a QB isn't nearly the risk it used to be, to the point now where it's almost optimal for a QB-needy team to grab one as high as possible and dump him after 2-3 years if he doesn't show continual improvement. Sadly, Sanchez is one of the last QBs to saddle his team with a contract disproportionate to his performance level... at least, from the draft.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 04-20-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ASG0531;4440227]I really don't think the draft makes a huge difference in terms of preseason team's win expectations. Unless you're adding Luck or RGIII to your team, you're not going to magically improve. They are all, by definition, unproven rookies.

Unless a team has an exceptional draft, only major trades and key injuries will change how a team looks today vs Week 1.[/QUOTE]

You can't be serious, can you?

The Jets may add 10 players, plus during camp may cut, sign, swap at positions who knows how many players and you don't see how it could influence what you think they will do?

Only an idiot would make predictions in April

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4440243]9-7 sounds about right. Sparanos offense better not suck or that will quickly become 7-9.[/QUOTE]

+1

How could any objective person sit here and say that the Jets look like a 12+ win team right now?

9-7 or 10-6 sounds about right, unless Sanchez takes a huge leap forward and permanently puts an end to Tebow's chances of being anything more than a gadget player in New York.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4440629]+1

How could any objective person sit here and say that the Jets look like a 12+ win team right now?

9-7 or 10-6 sounds about right, unless Sanchez takes a huge leap forward and permanently puts an end to Tebow's chances of being anything more than a gadget player in New York.[/QUOTE]

Or injuries to the teams their playing.

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4440628]You can't be serious, can you?

The Jets may add 10 players, plus during camp may cut, sign, swap at positions who knows how many players and you don't see how it could influence what you think they will do?

Only an idiot would make predictions in April[/QUOTE]

And how many of those players will be legitimate impact players? All of the moves you're discussing will be made on the margins and won't dramatically impact the team's win expectations. Do you really think if the Jets add 5 new STers it's going to add 3 expected wins to their future? Even if they draft Barron and shore up the safety position and add a new RT from the draft, it's not going to have a huge impact from a prediction standpoint.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 04-20-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ASG0531;4440645]And how many of those players will be legitimate impact players? All of the moves you're discussing will be made on the margins and won't dramatically impact the team's win expectations. Do you really think if the Jets add 5 new STers it's going to add 3 expected wins to their future?[/QUOTE]

You don't have a clue what impact the players will make. Just as we don't have a clue what players come or go.

Just as we don't have a clue what the effect of player moves will have to the teams we play.

Guess when the Jets signed Favre in the summer the Jets expectations didn't change?

Exactly why only a moron makes predictions in April.

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4440650]You don't have a clue what impact the players will make. Just as we don't have a clue what players come or go.

Just as we don't have a clue what the effect of player moves will have to the teams we play.

Guess when the Jets signed Favre in the summer the Jets expectations didn't change?

Exactly why only a moron makes predictions in April.[/QUOTE]

I've already said that predictions are worthless in general... but they're just as worthless the day before Week 1 as they are now. And I also said that major trades and key injuries are the biggest factors that change win expectations.

If Sanchez gets hit by a bus tomorrow that's going to change things. The draft (unless it's exceptional) and minor roster changes aren't. That's my only real point.

Banned
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;4440248]Manish after a promising start has decomposed into a hack turd. F him and his rag bs[/QUOTE]

So, unless the Jets beat writers write something glowing and positive about the Jets, they are considered "hack turds"?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ASG0531;4440669]I've already said that predictions are worthless in general... but they're just as worthless the day before Week 1 as they are now. And I also said that major trades and key injuries are the biggest factors that change win expectations.

If Sanchez gets hit by a bus tomorrow that's going to change things. The draft, unless it's exceptional, and minor roster changes aren't. That's my only real point.[/QUOTE]

Why can't anyone just say, ok, I see, yeah.

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4440672]Why can't anyone just say, ok, I see, yeah.[/QUOTE]

You're the one who criticized my post. Every counterpoint you made was already addressed before you responded. Anyway.

All League
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4440082]Not unreasonable, but Manish has been mostly negative lately. Some of that can be attributed to the Jets doing negative things like losing, missing the playoffs, mutiny, etc. But I think Manish will continue to have a negative spin on most things. Time will tell.

I would put the o/u at 8, maybe 9. I think a lot of people are down on the Jets coming off of last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets won 6 games and I wouldn't be surprised if they won 11 games. Tough to get a read on this team at this moment. They have some good talent, but they also have a lot of question marks.[/QUOTE] Hey DDNY, has there really been any positives for the reporters to mention since the end of the last game. There have been exactly 3.

1. You improved your back up QB situation (and brought the circus to town)
    2. You improved your S situation (with a guy that is such an injury risk, he's being paid by the game)
    3. You signed an intriguing TE prospect (who as never played a down of football)

So, if those are the HIGHLIGHTS of the Jets off season, is it any wonder that the media is negative about the Jets right now.

BTW- I read a lot of comments about how its too early to measure how this team is progressing. Very true. There is no question that there is a long time until final rosters are announced. However just remember, even though the Jets will certainly improve their team with the draft, its also true that so will everyone else.

With 5 picks in the first 3 rounds the Pats will be better. Picking with the 10th pick in every round, the Bills are going to bet better. Picking with the 8th pick in every round the Dolphins will be better Its all kind of relative.
    Last edited by patsfanken; 04-20-2012 at 01:53 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4440670]So, unless the Jets beat writers write something glowing and positive about the Jets, they are considered "hack turds"?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what everyone is implying........................:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4440110]A 9-7 prediction isn't exactly crazy by anyone. Why are people getting up in arms over it? Expecting 6-10 or 12-4 is crazy.[/QUOTE]
    I don't see how anyone can make any reasonable predictions before the draft, before rosters are set and before any injuries are suffered by key players.