Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The NOW officially NOW as of RIGHT NOW Romney thread...

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4440545]I don't disagree. The problem is, in this modern world of social networks and Internet message boards with snarky, sarcastic commentators, he's not "cool" enough to be President.

George Clooney is holding a fundraiser for Obama at his house, and if you donate $5 to the campaign, you could win an invitation to the party. An invitation to hang out with George Clooney and his Hollywood pals, including the Celebrity-in-Chief himself. Now that's cool. My God, Obama is so cool. Plus he's black. That's like +5000 points on the hip-o-meter. Remember that time he took the Prime Minister of the UK to the basketball game? He's just like us! He's so cool!! PRESIDENT FOR LIFE!!![/QUOTE]

The cool factor is less important to struggling families then you would think.

Obama is problematic for the Democrats in the following sense. He is a guy that has pushed the caricature far left strategy that Democrats have been pining for. Today's left is really in to green tech and green jobs. Higher taxes on "people other then themselves". More Government regulation etc. Obama through the stimulus put close to 150 billion in to that area. They also hate fossil fuels. Obama has blocked new drilling on federal lands and is attempting to destroy the coal industry. He has essentially enatced the far lefts agenda for America. As a bonus he is black. This is the ultimate combination for a liberal. They "finally" got to enact the types of policies they have been pining for and on top of that they get to support a black guy and therefore feel like they are cool and not racists.

Here is the problem. The entire agenda has been a failure. The problem was not Obama's job in enacting the left wing agenda. The issue was in the agenda itself. The European Statist model that Obama is following and that the left espouses does not work. The Green Jobs agenda was a failure. Universal healthcare simply raised the costs both for the purchasers of insurance and for the government. The only real successes of the Obama administration have been continuation of previous administration policies. The financial industry was saved during the Bush administration through the TARP program. Obama takes credit but it was Bush and Treasury Sec Hank Paulson that saved the system. Iraq was won under Bush and the exit plan had already been in place before Obama took office.

So what is a liberal to do now? If they accept the fact that their agenda was enacted and didn't work they would go home and cry in their soup. Many are in denial of these facts. Independents and swing voters are generally more objective. They are running from Obama but in a larger sense they are running from the left wing agenda. Gone are the days of Clinton and his fiscal restraint. Obama is going further to the left with his embrace of more taxes and spending. That is a losing strategy.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4440521]If it wasn't for these so called "empty suit" CEO's most of this counrty would be out of work. Romney is a titan of business. A man that started a company and grew it in to a multi-billion dollar enterprise. We all know the story in 1996 where one of his directors was distressed that his daughter was missing for a few days and he shut down the company, brought everyone there to NYC and eventually found the girl. Empty suit? Then when his country needed him to turn around a failing olympics he left his high paying and prestigious position and chose turned the Olympics in to a success. All the while foregoing any salary. Next he gets elected as Governor of the bluest state in the Union. He worked with democrats there to balance their budget and actually left them with a multi-billion dollar rainy day fund. Unheard of.

All in all the man is clearly an excellent manager. He has been extremely successful in just about any venture he has attempted. I love that he doesn't focus of the social garbage that turns so many people of my ilk away from the GOP. [B]IMO he is arguably the most qualified person to run for the office of the POTUS in my lifetime[/B].[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with his accomplishments foreshadowing strong leadership....potentially. As to the bolded, that's either a very, very strong statement or an indictment of the field in the past 30-40 years (not sure of your age, of course).

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4440450]He actually wrote an article pushing for the individual mandate in health care.

Which, of course, he is totally against now.

Saying that Romney "believes" in something or anything is pretty comical. He is a typical, hair parted on the side, empty suit, upper management guy. He listens and agrees with the last person who was in his office.[/QUOTE]

I guess you missed the debates between Hillary and Obama where Obama was against mandates. Guess what Obama won the Presidency and put in Mandates. On this issue we have a push. What does Obama believe in? Gitmo, Mandates, Rendition, bombing countries that haven't attacked us?

This is a race between two candidates who actually have records in public service.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4440545]I don't disagree. The problem is, in this modern world of social networks and Internet message boards with snarky, sarcastic commentators, he's not "cool" enough to be President.

George Clooney is holding a fundraiser for Obama at his house, and if you donate $5 to the campaign, you could win an invitation to the party. An invitation to hang out with George Clooney and his Hollywood pals, including the Celebrity-in-Chief himself. Now that's cool. My God, Obama is so cool. Plus he's black. That's like +5000 points on the hip-o-meter. Remember that time he took the Prime Minister of the UK to the basketball game? He's just like us! He's so cool!! PRESIDENT FOR LIFE!!![/QUOTE]

I think that's what really worries those of us who really want Obama kicked to the curb. I started a thread a while back about Romney's awkward sound bites not b/c I thought they were true signs that he was a chooch but because I was sure he would lose cool points in what has become a popularity contest.

He's not gonna get hardly nay black votes and will have to work like hell to make the hispanic vote even somewhat close.

Sadly, just look around, talk to the average person at CVS, look at what the most popular shows are. I expect "coolness" to win in Nov. :(

All Pro
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4440580]The cool factor is less important to struggling families then you would think.

Obama is problematic for the Democrats in the following sense. He is a guy that has pushed the caricature far left strategy that Democrats have been pining for. Today's left is really in to green tech and green jobs. Higher taxes on "people other then themselves". More Government regulation etc. Obama through the stimulus put close to 150 billion in to that area. They also hate fossil fuels. Obama has blocked new drilling on federal lands and is attempting to destroy the coal industry. He has essentially enatced the far lefts agenda for America. As a bonus he is black. This is the ultimate combination for a liberal. They "finally" got to enact the types of policies they have been pining for and on top of that they get to support a black guy and therefore feel like they are cool and not racists.

Here is the problem. The entire agenda has been a failure. The problem was not Obama's job in enacting the left wing agenda. The issue was in the agenda itself. The European Statist model that Obama is following and that the left espouses does not work. The Green Jobs agenda was a failure. Universal healthcare simply raised the costs both for the purchasers of insurance and for the government. The only real successes of the Obama administration have been continuation of previous administration policies. The financial industry was saved during the Bush administration through the TARP program. Obama takes credit but it was Bush and Treasury Sec Hank Paulson that saved the system. Iraq was won under Bush and the exit plan had already been in place before Obama took office.

So what is a liberal to do now? If they accept the fact that their agenda was enacted and didn't work they would go home and cry in their soup. Many are in denial of these facts. Independents and swing voters are generally more objective. They are running from Obama but in a larger sense they are running from the left wing agenda. Gone are the days of Clinton and his fiscal restraint. Obama is going further to the left with his embrace of more taxes and spending. That is a losing strategy.[/QUOTE]

You make great points but the vast majority of the electorate will take less time deciding who to vote for than you did writing that post.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4440551]I vote present (132 times) on whether this is a dump thread.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Kinda pointless to try to pin Romney's opinions down.

Jets Insider VIP
    All of this and no Spaceballs clips?

what the ****in ****?

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4440589]I don't disagree with his accomplishments foreshadowing strong leadership....potentially. As to the bolded, that's either a very, very strong statement or an indictment of the field in the past 30-40 years (not sure of your age, of course).[/QUOTE]

It is both.

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4440601]You make great points but the vast majority of the electorate will take less time deciding who to vote for than you did writing that post.[/QUOTE]

The vast majority of the electorate made up their minds on who to vote for before any candidates declared themselves. Our political divide is fairly even. Usually we do get it right however. 38% of the electorate is hardcore liberal. They will always pull the lever for the D candidate. A similar % is GOP all the way. That leaves around 25% independent. Of the independent group around 60% lean one way of the other and are fairly certain of voting to their leanings. That leaves around 40% of independents or 12% of the voting population that are true swing voters. They do tend to pay attention and actually vote based on real factors that they observe. National politics is about winning that 12%.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4440755]The vast majority of the electorate made up their minds on who to vote for before any candidates declared themselves. Our political divide is fairly even. Usually we do get it right however. 38% of the electorate is hardcore liberal. They will always pull the lever for the D candidate. A similar % is GOP all the way. That leaves around 25% independent. Of the independent group around 60% lean one way of the other and are fairly certain of voting to their leanings. That leaves around 40% of independents or 12% of the voting population that are true swing voters. They do tend to pay attention and actually vote based on real factors that they observe. National politics is about winning that 12%.[/QUOTE]

Agreed with everything here, but I'll take it one step further.

True swing voters in states like California or Mississippi are rendered basically irrelevant. In reality, the key is winning a subset of the 12% of true swing voters in true swing states.

Ultimately, a close election will be decided by a total of half a million voters in a select few swing states.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Not sure of the numbers, but I believe upwards of 40% of all eligible U.S. voters routinely sit out elections - I know it's a staggeringly large number because it's depressing whenever I see it. Of course the reasons are many and varied, including apathy for one reason or another, inconvenience, protest over substandard choices, or just lack of information. I have to think that if just 10% of these eligible voters came to the polls, elections would have different outcomes. How about in 2000? Ya' think Gore could have used a few extra votes in Florida? Or his home state Tennessee that he lost?

Point being, the difference in close elections can also be tied to those who don't care to exercise a right so fundamental and so important that many thousands of our ancestors died to establish and preserve it. It's head-shakingly absurd why this happens, but it sure does make a difference.

[QUOTE=cr726;4440283]No, no, no, Mormons are the hip Scientologists.[/QUOTE]

Mormons are Christians with a different perspective on life and the bible. Scientilogists are like Tom Cruise a blubbering midget!

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4440308]This thread is about what Mitt Romney stands for. Today. At 8:48am EST.

Nobody gives a f*ck about Obama. He is toast.

Tell us what Romney stands for.[/QUOTE]

Depending on the hour or day? He flips more then 100 pancakes! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4440450]He actually wrote an article pushing for the individual mandate in health care.

Saying that Romney "believes" in something or anything is pretty comical. He is a typical, hair parted on the side, empty suit, upper management guy. He listens and agrees with the last person who was in his office.[/QUOTE]

That was for the State of Ma. not the country!

As a bonus he is black! Really he is a White Black Man you know like a White Hispanic!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4440755]The vast majority of the electorate made up their minds on who to vote for before any candidates declared themselves. Our political divide is fairly even. Usually we do get it right however. 38% of the electorate is hardcore liberal. They will always pull the lever for the D candidate. A similar % is GOP all the way. That leaves around 25% independent. Of the independent group around 60% lean one way of the other and are fairly certain of voting to their leanings. That leaves around 40% of independents or 12% of the voting population that are true swing voters. They do tend to pay attention and actually vote based on real factors that they observe. National politics is about winning that 12%.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=parafly;4440772]Agreed with everything here, but I'll take it one step further.

True swing voters in states like California or Mississippi are rendered basically irrelevant. In reality, the key is winning a subset of the 12% of true swing voters in true swing states.

Ultimately, a close election will be decided by a total of half a million voters in a select few swing states.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1;4440812]Not sure of the numbers, but I believe upwards of 40% of all eligible U.S. voters routinely sit out elections - I know it's a staggeringly large number because it's depressing whenever I see it. Of course the reasons are many and varied, including apathy for one reason or another, inconvenience, protest over substandard choices, or just lack of information. I have to think that if just 10% of these eligible voters came to the polls, elections would have different outcomes. How about in 2000? Ya' think Gore could have used a few extra votes in Florida? Or his home state Tennessee that he lost?

Point being, the difference in close elections can also be tied to those who don't care to exercise a right so fundamental and so important that many thousands of our ancestors died to establish and preserve it. It's head-shakingly absurd why this happens, but it sure does make a difference.[/QUOTE]

Good points all around. Perhaps if Fox news (led by a Bush cousin) dod not call FLA so early, more Gore voters might gone to the polls,changing history. Of course, who knows what kind of president Gore would have mad. i'm of the opinion that almost no one could be worse than Bush but Obama sure makes it an interesting argument.

IMO, Obama has proven to be an empty suit, Romney, corp vulture or not, leaves a trail of accomplishments behind him. Still, hate the dog strapped to the roof story. WTF? :( Would any of you do that under any circumstances?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4440990]

IMO, Obama has proven to be an empty suit, Romney, corp vulture or not, leaves a trail of accomplishments behind him. Still, hate the dog strapped to the roof story. WTF? :( Would any of you do that under any circumstances?[/QUOTE]

I am an unabashed animal lover, but the outrage behind this story is ridiculous. It happened 30 years ago, was first reported 5 years ago, and the media is giving it legs again to score cheap-o political points. We're voting for POTUS and the fact that this is a major story is unbelievably stupid.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4441178]I am an unabashed animal lover, but the outrage behind this story is ridiculous. It happened 30 years ago, was first reported 5 years ago, and the media is giving it legs again to score cheap-o political points. We're voting for POTUS and the fact that this is a major story is unbelievably stupid.[/QUOTE]

Listen Paulie, I'm voting Romney for sure but the story, no matter how old, makes me sick to my stomach. It's so hard to imagine doing that, under ANY circumstances. I know everyone is allowed a lapse in judgement, but still....

edit: when I moved from RI to DC I got mild tranquilizers for my cats, who hated the car ride, easy solve.
    Last edited by brady's a catcher; 04-21-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare. I don't how much the liberal media says so.

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4441178]I am an unabashed animal lover, but the outrage behind this story is ridiculous. It happened 30 years ago, was first reported 5 years ago, and the media is giving it legs again to score cheap-o political points. We're voting for POTUS and the fact that this is a major story is unbelievably stupid.[/QUOTE]

All these looney left libtards are probably the same soft-on-crime moonbats who were defending Michael Vick and his dog-killing but meanwhile Mitt Romney can't put a dog in a dog pen.

These liberals probably would love an Obama/Vick ticket.