Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DirecTV Lowering Price of NFL Sunday Ticket

Veteran

DirecTV Lowering Price of NFL Sunday Ticket

DirecTV Lowering Price of NFL Sunday Ticket

Apr

4/20/2012 1:13:18 PM

Share on emailShare on printShare on twitterShare on facebookShare on myspaceShare on stumbleuponShare on digg|More Sharing ServicesMore

DirecTV is cutting the price of its Sunday football package by about 40 percent for existing customers and offering it free to new customers for a year according to Alex Sherman of Bloomberg News.

The largest U.S. satellite-TV provider said today it is dropping the price for the NFL Sunday Ticket package, which gives users access to all regular season National Football League out-of-market broadcasts, to $199.95 from about $325. Customers that also want access to the games on mobile devices will pay $299.95.

DirecTV will again give Sunday Ticket at no extra charge to new subscribers for the season, although mobile access will now cost new customers $100.

“Charging for digital rights is an experiment,” DirecTV Chief Executive Officer Mike White said in an interview this month. “There aren’t great models in how you get your price elasticities right there. We’re all learning what will the market bear in terms of digital rights.”

Between 2 million and 3 million DirecTV customers subscribed to Sunday Ticket last year. The company has 19.9 million U.S. subscribers.

Wasn't it free for new subscribers last year?

I wish Cablevision would offer this service.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4440813]I wish Cablevision would offer this service.[/QUOTE]

Cablevision wishes that they could offer Sunday Ticket too. DirecTV pays a lot of money to make sure that they can't.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=drsamuel84;4440805]Wasn't it free for new subscribers last year?[/QUOTE]
    Yes. And it's still free to NEW subscribers.

It said it right there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not a bad price. Center Ice package was $180 this past season.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4440820]Cablevision wishes that they could offer Sunday Ticket too. DirecTV pays a lot of money to make sure that they can't.[/QUOTE]

Its only a matter of time and it will happen. ;)

Banned
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4440826]Its only a matter of time and it will happen. ;)[/QUOTE]

DirectTV has exclusive rights through 2015.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4440840]DirectTV has exclusive rights through 2015.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying the mods have something to do with this?

NFL rewind gives you access to all games for ~$29 during the season and another $29 for off-season, including several years back, all on-demand.

Lot better deal if you have your pc hooked to your big screen. Devices to convert your PC signal to HD are around $100.

Only caveats are:
    [LIST][*]takes 24 hours from the end of the game to show up[*]You can't watch anything while a live game is being broadcast.[/LIST]Much better deal IMO

Watch, now they probably won't give any deals when u call in to complain about the price like they have in the past.

I had the Sunday Ticket for years, then I realized I hardly ever used it. Almost every game I wanted to watch was on regualr TV.

I live in a good spot, I get both the NY and the CT/Boston channels as "local" channels for DTV, so I usually get every game I want to see.

I hope they someday go to Pay-per-View for out of town games, then I could watch the Jets for free and pay for the occasional out of town game that I want to watch. That would be ideal.

Jets Insider VIP
    IMO, unless you are a fan of a team that doesn't play in your local area (a Jet fan in Arizona or a Patsfan in Texas) NFL Redzone is an almost as good alternative to Sunday Ticket. You get to watch your team in it's time slot and then you get to watch the best parts of all the games being played in the other time slot on Sunday.

Of course, if you are saddled with the horror of either Dolanvision or Time-Warner, you can't get the Red Zone either. Hopefully your area gets wired for FIOS as quickly as possible so you can dump either of those two looos-ar options for your TV service

All Pro
    I'm stunned. I had it every year from the first time they offered it in the mid-90s until 2008 or 2009. Last 2-3 years I told them they were insane asking for over $300 and they could go pawn their $1B exclusive deal off on someone else. Never thought they'd see the light though.

Problem is...now I've gotten used to life without 10-13 games to watch on Sundays and I'm not sure I need to go back.

I am sure this is because of the popularity of NFL Redzone, nothing else.

i am new directv, do the offer NFL redzone?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=User Name;4440897]Watch, now they probably won't give any deals when u call in to complain about the price like they have in the past.[/QUOTE]

Was thinking the same thinking, got ST for free last season.

since i pay them 150 bucks a month JUST for their TV service...i would expect it for free...or i am taking my business to FIOS.

[QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4440858]NFL rewind gives you access to all games for ~$29 during the season and another $29 for off-season, including several years back, all on-demand.

Lot better deal if you have your pc hooked to your big screen. Devices to convert your PC signal to HD are around $100.

Only caveats are:
    [LIST][*]takes 24 hours from the end of the game to show up[*]You can't watch anything while a live game is being broadcast.[/LIST]Much better deal IMO[/QUOTE]

This. It's not like you can watch all of the games at once anyway. I watch the Jets and the RedZone channel on Sundays. Then I spend the week watching 4-5 other games. In the offseason, I pick a number of teams and go through their seasons. Everyone else I just watch the condensed games.

[QUOTE=K-Met57;4440929]since i pay them 150 bucks a month JUST for their TV service...[B]i would expect it for free[/B]...or i am taking my business to FIOS.[/QUOTE]

Free?

[IMG]http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NFL+Legends+Broadcasters+IRTS+Gold+Medal+Award+YrQlf13gnkVl.jpg[/IMG]

"Get a load of this guy."