Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DirecTV Lowering Price of NFL Sunday Ticket

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lame,

you need to get the MAx $299 package for the Redzone Channel now.

Still cheaper than before, but that still sucks

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been talking them down to $180 for years, I hope this price decrease doesn't mean that they won't negotiate

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4440935]Free?

[IMG]http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NFL+Legends+Broadcasters+IRTS+Gold+Medal+Award+YrQlf13gnkVl.jpg[/IMG]

"Get a load of this guy."[/QUOTE]

glad u think its funny. been getting it free for years...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    :P [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4440844]So you're saying the mods have something to do with this?[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=K-Met57;4440929]since i pay them 150 bucks a month JUST for their TV service...i would expect it for free...or i am taking my business to FIOS.[/QUOTE]

I pay over 200 and I told they I want it free or i'm gone and I got it free last season..:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4441031]I pay over 200 and I told they I want it free or i'm gone and I got it free last season..:yes:[/QUOTE]

same

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4441031]I pay over 200 and I told they I want it free or i'm gone and I got it free last season..:yes:[/QUOTE]

I pay the same amount and I told them I wanted it free and they told me to GFM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Owen Reed;4441035]I pay the same amount and I told them I wanted it free and they told me to GFM.[/QUOTE]

How long have you had DTV?? I'm a 10 year customer with autopay..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4441037]How long have you had DTV?? I'm a 10 year customer with autopay..[/QUOTE]

Since August '08.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Owen Reed;4441041]Since August '08.[/QUOTE]

Did you talk to a supervisor?? Also it helps to go straight to canx dept then you can talk to the retain dept thats where the deals are made..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eric1520;4440918]I am sure this is because of the popularity of NFL Redzone, nothing else.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE NFL REDZONE, MAJOR MAN-LOVE (no homo). Its a great concept, even though that guy has HUGE ears...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just moved to Creamridge, NJ from CT in Feb. I had Direct TV hooked up and all was fine until this week when I started losing channels. They sent a guy out and he said I had a weak signal, the tree leaves were interfering and it was originally hooked up wrong. Now I have no HDTV and even fewer stations. They are sending a supervisor out in 24 to 72 hours.

It looks like back to Cablevision.

Bill

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4440933]This. It's not like you can watch all of the games at once anyway. I watch the Jets and the RedZone channel on Sundays. Then I spend the week watching 4-5 other games. In the offseason, I pick a number of teams and go through their seasons. Everyone else I just watch the condensed games.[/QUOTE]

I have 4 TVs in livingroom, you CAN watch them all

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    FiOS, butches.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4441175]FiOS, butches.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I switched to Fios years ago, but kept my dish.......I keep the family package for $29 a month for the rest of the year, and Sunday Ticket during football season. It pays off in two ways......

1. For the 9 weeks the Jets are away, I am free to watch whatever game I wish, not those chosen by the folks at Channels 2 and 5.

2. When I am traveling, I can watch the game on my laptop, iPad or phone from wherever I might be. And now, with most hotels switching to flat screens, I bring along a cable to hook my laptop up to the TV and watch Sunday Ticket on the hotel TV.

To me, it is worth the $300 investment per season.....on top of my Fios investment.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MRBILL128;4441119]I just moved to Creamridge, NJ from CT in Feb. I had Direct TV hooked up and all was fine until this week when I started losing channels. They sent a guy out and he said I had a weak signal, the tree leaves were interfering and it was originally hooked up wrong. Now I have no HDTV and even fewer stations. They are sending a supervisor out in 24 to 72 hours.

It looks like back to Cablevision.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Bill,
    I have a friend that had the same issue as you. The trees on the property next to his eventually grew too tall for his dish to see over them.

One option you might have is what I did.....My dish looks generally to the south. My neighbors in that direction have a few trees that would block my dish if I put it on that side of the house. I put it on the far side of the house and look over my house.....that extra distance allows my dish to see the bird in the sky. You might take a look at your home and see if you can do that. Or perhaps raise the dish to to a higher point on your home.

Some installers put these things only 10-15 feet off the ground so they don't have to work so hard. You might have to pay a bit more to have the dish installed higher on your home, but at least you'll be able to see over the trees. You might want to break out your math books and get some numbers before the supervisor comes out.

Determine how tall the tree is by using this method:

1. Fold a square piece of paper in half so that it forms a triangle. The triangle will have one right (90 degree) angle and two 45 degree angles.

2. Hold the triangle near one eye so that the right angle is away from you, facing you, and one side is horizontal (parallel to the ground, assuming the ground is level).

3. Move back from the tree until you can sight the top of the tree at the top tip of the triangle. Close one eye to sight the tree’s top. You want to find the point where your line of sight follows the hypotenuse of the triangle to the very top of the tree.

4. Mark this spot and measure the distance from it to the base of the tree. This distance, plus your height(because you used the angle of elevation from eye level, not from the ground)is also the height of the tree. This works because the angle of elevation using your triangle is 45 degrees, and the tangent of 45 degrees = 1.

Also keep in mind that a dish does not look at an angle that is perpendicular to the face of the dish. Because of the angle of the LNB to the dish, it has the effect of looking up about 20 degrees higher than jutting straight out of the dish. According to DirecTV's website, your area should have about a 36 degree angle....combine that with about 20 degree offset most dishes have due to the placement of the LNB, you can be closer to the tree than it is tall.

What I mean is if you calculate the offending trees are 80 feet tall, if you put your dish on the ground, you have to be about 80 feet away from the base of the tree to see over it (That would be at a 45 degree angle, but we already said above that your angle is greater, so you can be a bit closer...I'd do the math, but it is too early for that and my mind is fully up to speed). If you mount the dish on your house or a pole, whatever height you place it directly changes the height you can see over. (If you are 80 feet away and you mount the dish 20 feet in the air with your dish, you can see over a tree at least 100' high)

Here's a good site that explains the dish offset part.
    [url]http://www.satsig.net/22-deg-offset-dish.htm[/url]

I installed my dish on my home myself. I have a neighbor with a few trees on his property that I needed to see over, so I had to do all these calculations years ago. Knowledge is power....when the supervisor comes by, it would really help your case if you could be flexible about dish placement. Also, as I said earlier, some installers are just lazy. They could care less whther or not you get all your channels. Sometimes they need a nudge to the correct solutions.

Good luck

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4440945]I've been talking them down to $180 for years, I hope this price decrease doesn't mean that they won't negotiate[/QUOTE]
    That's what I'm thinking. Every year we all call in and they move the price down. It looks like there trying to avoid that but will still be calling.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=drsamuel84;4440805]Wasn't it free for new subscribers last year?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was and I believe it always has been free for new subscribers?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4440840]DirectTV has exclusive rights through 2015.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and I was shocked to see that the NFL and DirectTV EXTENDED their agreement some time within the last decade. For the longest time leading up to the extension, I thought the cable companies would move in and grab the Sunday ticket for themselves. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way.

So it will be interesting to see who the NFL decides to do business with in 2015. My hope is that eventually all of the cable companies will be able to offer the Sunday ticket. It kind of sucks that you are locked in to DirecTV if you if you are an NFL addict.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4440945]I've been talking them down to $180 for years, I hope this price decrease doesn't mean that they won't negotiate[/QUOTE]

I've been doing the same thing.

All you have to do is ask to speak to a supervisor, tell them you have been a longtime customer, and they will negotiate.

Last year I paid $165 for the Sunday ticket.