Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DirecTV Lowering Price of NFL Sunday Ticket

Hall Of Fame
    Sunday Ticket is nice. A must have for out-of-market fans. But I find NFL Network's Redzone channel to be more than enough for me.

[QUOTE=rgoltsch;4441201]Bill,
    I have a friend that had the same issue as you. The trees on the property next to his eventually grew too tall for his dish to see over them.

One option you might have is what I did.....My dish looks generally to the south. My neighbors in that direction have a few trees that would block my dish if I put it on that side of the house. I put it on the far side of the house and look over my house.....that extra distance allows my dish to see the bird in the sky. You might take a look at your home and see if you can do that. Or perhaps raise the dish to to a higher point on your home.

Some installers put these things only 10-15 feet off the ground so they don't have to work so hard. You might have to pay a bit more to have the dish installed higher on your home, but at least you'll be able to see over the trees. You might want to break out your math books and get some numbers before the supervisor comes out.

Determine how tall the tree is by using this method:

1. Fold a square piece of paper in half so that it forms a triangle. The triangle will have one right (90 degree) angle and two 45 degree angles.

2. Hold the triangle near one eye so that the right angle is away from you, facing you, and one side is horizontal (parallel to the ground, assuming the ground is level).

3. Move back from the tree until you can sight the top of the tree at the top tip of the triangle. Close one eye to sight the tree’s top. You want to find the point where your line of sight follows the hypotenuse of the triangle to the very top of the tree.

4. Mark this spot and measure the distance from it to the base of the tree. This distance, plus your height(because you used the angle of elevation from eye level, not from the ground)is also the height of the tree. This works because the angle of elevation using your triangle is 45 degrees, and the tangent of 45 degrees = 1.

Also keep in mind that a dish does not look at an angle that is perpendicular to the face of the dish. Because of the angle of the LNB to the dish, it has the effect of looking up about 20 degrees higher than jutting straight out of the dish. According to DirecTV's website, your area should have about a 36 degree angle....combine that with about 20 degree offset most dishes have due to the placement of the LNB, you can be closer to the tree than it is tall.

What I mean is if you calculate the offending trees are 80 feet tall, if you put your dish on the ground, you have to be about 80 feet away from the base of the tree to see over it (That would be at a 45 degree angle, but we already said above that your angle is greater, so you can be a bit closer...I'd do the math, but it is too early for that and my mind is fully up to speed). If you mount the dish on your house or a pole, whatever height you place it directly changes the height you can see over. (If you are 80 feet away and you mount the dish 20 feet in the air with your dish, you can see over a tree at least 100' high)

Here's a good site that explains the dish offset part.
    [url]http://www.satsig.net/22-deg-offset-dish.htm[/url]

I installed my dish on my home myself. I have a neighbor with a few trees on his property that I needed to see over, so I had to do all these calculations years ago. Knowledge is power....when the supervisor comes by, it would really help your case if you could be flexible about dish placement. Also, as I said earlier, some installers are just lazy. They could care less whther or not you get all your channels. Sometimes they need a nudge to the correct solutions.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info rgoltsch. I appreciate it.

Bill

Veteran
    So, basically, DirecTV is cutting the sh-t and bringing the advertised price down closer to where us regular insiders were getting it for already.

Wow ... wee.
    Last edited by jetrider; 04-21-2012 at 11:52 AM.

[QUOTE=MRBILL128;4441119]I just moved to Creamridge, NJ from CT in Feb. I had Direct TV hooked up and all was fine until this week when I started losing channels. They sent a guy out and he said I had a weak signal, the tree leaves were interfering and it was originally hooked up wrong. Now I have no HDTV and even fewer stations. They are sending a supervisor out in 24 to 72 hours.

It looks like back to Cablevision.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Just get a tree guy to cut down the offending branches/trees. Timber!

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4440813]I wish Cablevision would offer this service.[/QUOTE]

LOL, They don't even have Redzone or NFLN. Cablevision sux.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4441175]FiOS, butches.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

FIOS plus HAVA box connected to HDDVR.
    I can watch on PC or Smartphone. :yes:

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4441280]So, basically, DirecTV is cutting the sh-t and bringing the advertised price down closer to where us regular insiders were getting it for already.

Wow ... wee.[/QUOTE]

Well it will be nice not to have to play the game with them every year.

question:

We have DirectTV, which has the NFL network on ch 212 regardless of whether you buy Sunday Ticket or not. If we elect not to do Sunday Ticket this coming season, will we still get Red Zone shown on 212?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MRBILL128;4441249]Thanks for the info rgoltsch. I appreciate it.

Bill[/QUOTE]

There also an augmented reality iPhone where you only have to point your phone to the sky and you can see where the satellites are.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Dcat;4441817]question:

We have DirectTV, which has the NFL network on ch 212 regardless of whether you buy Sunday Ticket or not. If we elect not to do Sunday Ticket this coming season, will we still get Red Zone shown on 212?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you'll still get Red Zone on 212. One has nothing to do with the other.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We have DirectTV, [B]which has the NFL network on ch 212 regardless of whether you buy Sunday Ticket or not.[/B] If we elect not to do Sunday Ticket this coming season, will we still get Red Zone shown on 212?[/QUOTE]

Wait!! Didn't you just answer your own question? ;):D

We have DirectTV, which has the NFL network on ch 212 regardless of whether you buy Sunday Ticket or not. If we elect not to do Sunday Ticket this coming season, will we still get Red Zone shown on 212?[/QUOTE]

That's not RZ...

That's just NFLN ..

All League
    Whatever. I have paid $150 or $180 the last several years, depending on whether I can get them to give it to me for $25 or $30 a month. And they always chip in the online streaming after whining about how it was free in the past. They always had a pre-programmed discounts in the system for this exact purpose, which were actually named stuff like NFLTICKET20. It was only $300 for those who weren't in the know. They are probably trying to stop that game with this move.

So in the end, there is a very good chance that those of us in the know will actually get HURT by this discount. They will probably be much less giving in the negotiations. And it will help people who didn't know and were just dishing out $300+. I'm just hoping I can still complain about how i paid $150 for it last year and won't go a penny higher. I live in CT, so I get 75% of the Jets games. It's just not worth it to me to pay more than $150 for it, as a bar will be cheaper at that point. It's probably still not worth it for me, but it's nice to watch from home.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4440840]DirectTV has exclusive rights through 2015.[/QUOTE]

That's going to be one hell of a bidding war. FWIW I really like the NFL Redzone. I can see all I need to see when I am not watching the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=petejet;4442621]That's going to be one hell of a bidding war. FWIW I really like the NFL Redzone. I can see all I need to see when I am not watching the Jets.[/QUOTE]

+1