Thread: Looking at 1st round with latest info (an analysis)

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at 1st round with latest info (an analysis)

Here goes:
    with all rumors I have heard

will go before Jets pick
    QBs Luck Griffin Tannehill
    RB Richardson
    WR Blackmon FLoyd
    OL Kalil Reiff Decastro
    so 9 on offense
    DB Claiborne Barron Gilmore (moving up will go to Jags or Bills)
    LB Kuehly
    DL Cox
    so 5 on Defense

that makes 14
    Jets pick 16
    so if one other player goes, probably from OL or DL
    ie Martin, Glenn, Coples, Poe, or Brockers or DB Kirkpatrick
    Ingram will fall to jets and they will take him
    If Ingram is picked, Jets will have choice of Coples, Poe, Brockers, Mercilus
    possibly Upshaw or another pass rusher : Perry, McClellin, Branch

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is also possible that one or more of following players will drop and would be available because more of DL or OL go in top 15
    FLoyd
    Decastro
    Reiff
    Barron
    Kuechly

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=caster;4441306]It is also possible that one or more of following players will drop and would be available because more of DL or OL go in top 15
    FLoyd
    Decastro
    Reiff
    Barron
    Kuechly[/QUOTE]

I would take any of these guys in a heartbeat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing ever goes as expected. I'll say at least 3 of those drop because that is simply the draft. Question is who? I do think Coples is an easy top ten though. Much more likely then Gilmore. I wouldn't be shock if we saw guys like Brown, Martin, Hill, Dre Kirkpatrick, Jerel Worthy, Whitney Mercilus, Curry, Upshaw, Hightower, Devon Still, Doug Martin, or Janoris Jenkins make the top 16.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=caster;4441306]It is also possible that one or more of following players will drop and would be available because more of DL or OL go in top 15
    FLoyd
    Decastro
    Reiff
    Barron
    Kuechly[/QUOTE]

I don't like the idea of sitting patiently at 16 while these five guys go off the board before our pick.

For a lousy third rounder we can move up to the 10-13 range and decide which of these guys we want instead of settling for scraps.

Let some other sucker gamble on Martin, Glenn, Coples, Poe, or Brockers or DB Kirkpatrick while we lock up a starter for the next 3-5 years or longer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=James Hasty;4441561]I don't like the idea of sitting patiently at 16 while these five guys go off the board before our pick.

For a [B]lousy third rounder[/B] we can move up to the 10-13 range and decide which of these guys we want instead of settling for scraps.

Let some other sucker gamble on Martin, Glenn, Coples, Poe, or Brockers or DB Kirkpatrick while we lock up a starter for the next 3-5 years or longer.[/QUOTE]

I'll take that 3rd rounder any day. This is a draft where we are looking at 2nd round talent deep into the 3rd. Trade up in weak draft not ones that are this deep. I've said it a few time. The level of play to jump up 3-6 spots to get a slightly better talent is not worth the added player we would get in the 3rd of this years. I'll take Perry if it means I'm getting Quick or Mitchell Schwartz in the 3rd. That 3rd round is not lousy this year at all. Heck even if it means a blocking TE I'll take it. We need more quality players to fill gaps not just 1 big name.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4441610]I'll take that 3rd rounder any day. This is a draft where we are looking at 2nd round talent deep into the 3rd. Trade up in weak draft not ones that are this deep. I've said it a few time. The level of play to jump up 3-6 spots to get a slightly better talent is not worth the added player we would get in the 3rd of this years. I'll take Perry if it means I'm getting Quick or Mitchell Schwartz in the 3rd. That 3rd round is not lousy this year at all. Heck even if it means a blocking TE I'll take it. We need more quality players to fill gaps not just 1 big name.[/QUOTE]You are right as far as it goes. This draft is reportedly weak at the top. Once you get past the top 6 or 7 lo.ts of the next 20 have question marks - Ingram's arms, Coples, motor, Brockers athleticism, Poe's production, Barron's coverage ability. Lots of talent, but lots of risk as well.

Where the draft is relatively deep is when you get to the end of the first round. From 28-60, most of the players will carry a very similar grade. Lower ceilings, but relatively higher floors than the 2nd tier players. And as you said, the draft will have good players available well into the 3rd and 4th rounds, especially deep is the WR position, where the Jets have a big need. I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft 2 WRs.

Since the Pats don't have a pick after the 4th round, I'm not very familiar with how good the draft is after the 4th, but I will mention one name Dale Moss. A big WR from SDakota St. If the Pats acquire a 7th round pick, he's what I hope they pick - a very gifted, but very raw WR who can spend a year on the PS. The Jets with 3 picks in that round would be wise to grab this kid - In 3 years he'll be a starter for someone

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=caster;4441301]
    If Ingram is picked, Jets will have choice of Coples, Poe, Brockers, Mercilus
    possibly Upshaw or another pass rusher : Perry, McClellin, Branch[/QUOTE]

That would be almost a complete disaster in my mind. I don't like any of these guys at 16 except for McClellin. And that's a bit high for him.

I'd advocate trading down and selecting McClellin or even SS Harrison Smith.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TJ;4441324]I would take any of these guys in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

Any of Floyd, DeCastro, Reiff, Barron or Kuechly would start the Jets draft really well.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 04-22-2012 at 03:02 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't it be funny if Andrew Luck turned out to be a bust? I don't think he will be and I'm not saying he will but it would be hilarious if Luck didn't turn out to be good.