Thread: Riff Off -- Eddie Van Halen vs Angus Young

All League

Riff Off -- Eddie Van Halen vs Angus Young

The Band-Off motif modified to lead guitars...

So I saw this article the other night, the 25 greatest guitar riffs of all-time. Retah-ded. First off, five of the 20 were ZZ Top + Ozzy Ozbourne. Yeah right. And not a single Hendrix offering on the list--no Voodoo Child, no Purple Haze. Van Halen got one vote for Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love. AC DC got one vote for Back in Black.

Taking those last two... I don't dislike Van Halen. And I'd prolly say Eddie Van Halen was in some ways (past tense) more creative and had a wider range than Angus Young. But for sheer, visceral, crank it up, and pump your fist riffs Angus Young is amazing. I've seen interviews with him and you come away thinking that musically he must be an idiot savant cuz trying to form a sentence he sounds like Forest Gump with a concussion.

(ola Borgo ... ;) )

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I like both. My dark horse is Elliot Easton of the Cars.

-

Bewildered Beast
    Joe Walsh had that same thing Angus young has/had. Since Elliott Easton is off the board, Ill take Joe Walsh as a SUB-STI-TUTE champ over Alcohol van Halen.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4441756] Since Elliott Easton is off the board, Ill take Joe Walsh as a SUB-STI-TUTE champ over Alcohol van Halen.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha....doosh!

:D

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4441742]Ozzy Ozbourne. Yeah right.[/QUOTE]

Randy Rhodes. Zakk Wylde. Enough said.

Hall Of Fame
    Since Hendrix is off the board, I'll take Stevie Ray Vaughn for $500 Alex.

Then Duane Allman for $250.

And Jeff Beck for $100.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4441742]The Band-Off motif modified to lead guitars...

So I saw this article the other night, the 25 greatest guitar riffs of all-time. Retah-ded. First off, five of the 20 were ZZ Top + Ozzy Ozbourne. Yeah right. And not a single Hendrix offering on the list--no Voodoo Child, no Purple Haze. Van Halen got one vote for Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love. AC DC got one vote for Back in Black. [/QUOTE]

Know what song I never see on top guitar riff lists?

Hair of the Dog by Nazareth.

All League
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4441842]Know what song I never see on top guitar riff lists?

Hair of the Dog by Nazareth.[/QUOTE]

Lots of cowbell as well!

[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/SnSClark/Gif%20Files/Cowbell.gif[/IMG]

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4441742]The Band-Off motif modified to lead guitars...

So I saw this article the other night, the 25 greatest guitar riffs of all-time. Retah-ded. First off, five of the 20 were ZZ Top + Ozzy Ozbourne. Yeah right.
    (ola Borgo ... ;) )[/QUOTE]

I don't know, Billy Gibbons plays a lot more serious stuff than Sharp Dressed Man...He is pretty bad ass.

I don't believe in one guitar player being better, really everyone plays different...What does better really mean? But to play ball, I gotta go with B.B. King...He can do more with five notes than most can do...