Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Dolphin Yeremiah Bell visiting with Jets today.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Former Dolphin Yeremiah Bell visiting with Jets today.

Multiple sources per twitter.

@alexmarvez: RT @ProFootballTalk: Former Dolphins S Yeremiah Bell visiting with Jets today, per league source<Would be great Jets pickup, imo

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ComfortablyNumb;4442497]Multiple sources per twitter.

@alexmarvez: RT @ProFootballTalk: Former Dolphins S Yeremiah Bell visiting with Jets today, per league source<Would be great Jets pickup, imo[/QUOTE]

Can we pick him up for vets min? We could use another safety.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They don't think Barron is going to make it to 16 and don't want to trade up for him. Given the circumstances, this is about as good as we can do. Can complain about being in this position, but not the signing itself (if it were to occur).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4442506]They don't think Barron is going to make it to 16 and don't want to trade up for him. Given the circumstances, this is about as good as we can do. Can complain about being in this position, but not the signing itself (if it were to occur).[/QUOTE]

Very true. Not every position of need is going to be ideally filled this season. I would rather sign Bell and address the pass rush and WR in the draft. The Jets desperately need some weapons on offense, a WR who can come in and play right away and an all around threat RB are necessities this year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad stopgap for a year or two.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    he's played well against us the past 2 years, imo.

Another SS type player though, do they keep Smith on the roster (at his salary) if they add Bell?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4442508]Very true. Not every position of need is going to be ideally filled this season. I would rather sign Bell and address the pass rush and WR in the draft. The Jets desperately need some weapons on offense, a WR who can come in and play right away and an all around threat RB are necessities this year.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget we get Cumberland back, if he's healthy he will give other teams fits. Just a feeling, this guy can open thinks up with Sporano.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i am not opposed to signing bell... Tanny generally likes to try an fill in as many holes as possible (prior to draft) to avoid drafting for need.. However, I generally think the Jets target bap based on need...

I think the Jets can get a veteran OT (Carey / Mckenzie), WR (Edwards) in post draft FA... Bell would take some pressure off safety position considering not a deep draft for safeties..

Then one area they can't address in FA is Pass Rush.. so that is where they go in draft early.....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign this.........who?

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=srobjets;4442520]Don't forget we get Cumberland back, if he's healthy he will give other teams fits. Just a feeling, this guy can open thinks up with Sporano.[/QUOTE]

I view Cumberland as a complete bonus if he does anything this year. IF he is able to recover from the achilles and not lose any of his speed, then he could be a nice complement to the offense. We'll see.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetfan51;4442521]i am not opposed to signing bell... Tanny generally likes to try an fill in as many holes as possible (prior to draft) to avoid drafting for need.. However, I generally think the Jets target bap based on need...

I think the Jets can get a veteran OT (Carey / Mckenzie), WR (Edwards) in post draft FA... Bell would take some pressure off safety position considering not a deep draft for safeties..

Then one area they can't address in FA is Pass Rush.. so that is where they go in draft early.....[/QUOTE]

completely agree...and don't be surprised if they take pass rushers with the first 2 picks if the talent is sitting there

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    After reviewing his stats Bell wouldn't be a bad pick up at the vet minimum

[url]http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4671/yeremiah-bell[/url]

He's shown to be very durable and is an active tackler

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;4442529]After reviewing his stats Bell wouldn't be a bad pick up at the vet minimum

He's shown to be very durable and is an active tackler[/QUOTE]

Good for depth in an area sorely lacking it. I'll take it. :yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he is so solid, why did the dolphins cut him?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bcess;4442536]If he is so solid, why did the dolphins cut him?[/QUOTE]

"He was due a $4.3 million base salary and carried a $6.2 million salary-cap figure heading into the final year of his contract."

34 year old safety w/ that type of $. Easy decision to move on.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4442510]Not a bad stopgap for a year or two.[/QUOTE]

He wouldn't play FS. He'd be insurance should Landry get hurt. If they sign Bell, Smith could be cut. Is Smith cuttable?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;4442529]After reviewing his stats Bell wouldn't be a bad pick up at the vet minimum

He's shown to be very durable and is an active tackler[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ComfortablyNumb;4442532]Good for depth in an area sorely lacking it. I'll take it. :yes:[/QUOTE]

+1

-

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4442554]He wouldn't play FS. He'd be insurance should Landry get hurt. If they sign Bell, Smith could be cut. Is Smith cuttable?[/QUOTE]

very cut-able, for both cap savings and performance.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I checked with Arod.

The dude's 34.

Pass.

:rolleyes:

But seriously, I agree with Sec. We're not going to fill every position of need with a draft pick. Especially as a potential starter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4442554]He wouldn't play FS. He'd be insurance should Landry get hurt. If they sign Bell, Smith could be cut. Is Smith cuttable?[/QUOTE]

Smith is 100% cuttable. They actually save 2.5 million by cutting him. That being case, sadly it does appear Rex loves Smith, so I dont think he is going anywhere.